• TiredThinker
    I know for everyone having children is a personal decision (except when it isn't), but I was wondering if there is anything noble about choosing not to have children?

I once wanted children, but was largely driven by societal norms and the feeling that I might actually do an OK job teaching another person about the world. But since getting older have felt that my DNA might not be suitable for a very ideal life and the world is clearly overpopulated as it is. And I worry that too many people have children for fear that if they don't nothing of themselves will ever exist in the world ever again. A legacy without real accomplishment. Lol.

Is it more noble and wise to trust in the rest of humanity to do the right things even without a next generation of oneself?
  • Tom Storm
    There's a lot of antinatalist stuff here already exploring why it is morally wrong to have children. Why not check that stuff out? It's a thing.
  • unenlightened
    Alas, there is nothing in the world that reason does not think itself qualified to pontificate about. Your nobility and peasantry are the drivers of the social norms that lead you to want or not want children.

I hear God likes virgins. Or is that just another male fantasy?

But you are a beautiful, thoughtful person anyway, whether you have children or not. Better than the nobility.
  • baker
    I hear God likes virgins.unenlightened
    But not when they are 80 years old, eh?
  • Down The Rabbit Hole

I once wanted children, but was largely driven by societal norms and the feeling that I might actually do an OK job teaching another person about the world. But since getting older have felt that my DNA might not be suitable for a very ideal life and the world is clearly overpopulated as it is.TiredThinker

This is noble. Putting aside one's desires for a greater good.
  • evtifron
    To have children or not to have is only a decision of the subject, which depends on many factors, but in any case, these positions are only either the possibility of having a child, or not and are not facts, but are opportunities or moral assessments, it does not matter that you have children or not, there is no better moral way out because there are no moral facts, but I noticed that you, like many, think that the planet is overpopulated, not knowing that all of humanity can be drowned in Lake Baikal
  • MAYAEL
    When people start wondering if it's a good idea not to have children you can be certain that asocial conditionings over several Generations has truly saturated to the core of the human mind and created a deadly destructive neurotic perception of life that will only lead to Extinction if left alone and not dealt with
  • TiredThinker

Our population has only increased so I am not particularly worried although I think China's one child rule actually backfired this time and they started losing population fast.
  • MAYAEL
    Well yeah China screwed up big time with their one child policy because they have not let go of their stupid outdated social habits like wanting a son to pass down a worthless last name because you can't do that with a daughter making which intern caused an extreme out of balance ratio of holes too polls

And the neurotic social constructs did I refer to are things like what you just said. You look at the world entirely think you grasp it then for me a pinion that there's enough people in the world and then use it as a justification I highly doubt you have the same opinion if there was no technology
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.