• James Riley
    The Earth is more massive, so it curves space-time more.Vince

So why wouldn't it cause me to be lighter? So inculcated I am in the traditional gravity thing that it's hard for me to think that space is pushing me against the earth, but if so, it would seem the earth, in curving space-time more than the moon, would actually be shielding me from the push more than if I were, say, floating in it, or on the moon. Indeed, the pressure would be greater if I were floating in it, would it not?
  • James Riley
    the earth is blocking more push than the moon because its bigger.Razorback kitten

So, in blocking more push, would I not be lighter on earth than on the moon?
  • Razorback kitten
    no. And I never mentioned curved space, so we're clear.
  • Vince

The center is by definition the point that is equidistant from the circumference. From our perspective we can't see any edge of the universe. If there was one, you'd have to get "out" of the universe to see it, but you can't because you are a part of it.
  • Razorback kitten
    If 4 people push you evenly from each direction and one gets blocked or pushes less, you go toward them.
  • Vince
    The term "pushing" could be confusing. It is used because for a long time gravity was thought to attract things, like some sort of magnet, but nobody could explain how until Einstein came. He theorized that mass changes the shape of space-time around it, causing bodies to go towards one another. So "pushing" is used because "attracting" is completely misleading.
  • Banno
    Why not learn some physics, rather than just making shit up?
  • Razorback kitten

Because physics is so progressive?
  • Vince
    I'm no science guy but I see some of you are not seeing the importance of the differences between size, weight and mass.
  • Banno
    No. Because what you are making up is nonsense.
  • James Riley
    If 4 people push you evenly from each direction and one gets blocked or pushes less, you go toward them.Razorback kitten

That makes sense, but I'm not sure it accounts for pressure. When I go down X number of atmospheres under water, pressure increases. It is water pushing at me from all directions, like space, but still mostly down from above? But I'm lighter underwater than I am on the surface of earth where the absence of push from earth is sticking me to it. I'd think if water came to my rescue from the weight of space, then the earth might do likewise?

I'll have to ruminate on this for a while.
  • Prishon

Think of it like this (its mu own view; I studied the matter deeply and gave it a lot of thought; I have my own thoughts on almost each scientific topic as well as on ohilosophy; I got banned from every site on each firum for looking too ideosyncratically; Im currently writing a book on my adventures on these sites; a thousand times I have seen the message: " Hello, we're writing in refererence......banned)"; thats why thd title is "Hallo, wij schrijven..." I can expose my ideas on every topic in a nice context, hopping from site to site; Im curious if I get banned here like on SE philosophy where some Kant masturbating figure kicked me out). I was saying. By the way, do you wanna know still about the big bang?Your post is already old...:smile:
  • Caldwell
    From our perspective we can't see any edge of the universe.Vince
    We could see it hyperbolically. But only if we think hyperbolic, not the classical shape.
  • TheMadFool
    Food for thought:

Alice in Wonderland effect: When Alice takes a sip from the 'Drink Me' bottle, she shrinks but it feels like everything is enlarging.
  • SpaceDweller
    But if space is expanding in all directions, and if I am not at the center of it, then it would seem that it could not simply start with an absence of itself in a single spot and expand from there.James Riley

Expansion of the universe is not relative to the point of explosion (BB).
    Explosion has it's beginning and end, a bomb when it explodes doesn't infinitely manifest the act of explosion, at some point parts of the bomb land and it's done.

Expansion of the universe as we observe it now is caused by dark matter and dark energy, this means every point in the universe is a point of expansion. this is why we feel like being in the center of the universe.

The universe does not expand, it's dark energy that makes the universe grow like a balloon, so every point is the center of expansion relative to surroundings.
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.