• Antilogic
    I've spent some time gathering together primary sources from across the internet and I've managed to organize a virtual library. It's not as large as the Internet Archive or some other treasure troves of the web, but it is organized, ad-free and has a general focus on philosophy. I figured that I would share it here because it may be a valuable resource for people interested in philosophy or even the humanities in general.

There are certain books that are essential to an education about the human condition of which I believe should be available for free and with easy access to everybody. I have gathered together some of the most influential writings of the world in an attempt to both preserve and foster easy access to these works. Each e-book on these lists is in PDF format. I have organized them by topic (many topics intersect) and the last name of the author.

https://antilogicalism.com/primary-sources/
  • javi2541997

Interesting! Thanks for sharing your resources and data. Appreciated. I have one question. Why did you choose call it antilogicalism then?
  • Antilogic
    My choice of the title Antilogicalism was kind of a personal thing. I actually have an old page about it here: https://antilogicalism.com/2017/06/29/antilogicalism/
  • Deleted User
    wonderful! Thanks for sharing. Bless you
  • javi2541997

Understandable! I will check it out deeply.
  • T Clark
    This is really thoughtful. I've bookmarked your link and I'll take a look. This is what I love most about the internet - people generously sharing information.
  • Jack Cummins

I have just spent about an hour on your link and will go back to it again as I think that it is excellent. You have put so much hard effort into it and I am very impressed.
  • BC
    I like lists, and am duly impressed by long ones. You have found a lot and made your findings available. Thanks!

There is a website in England, "Forgotten Books": Forgotten Books is a London-based book publisher specializing in the restoration of old books, both fiction and non-fiction. Today we have 1,271,513 books ... I've perused a small fraction of their list and downloaded a few. Many of these books were forgotten because their content was far too narrow to survive (lists of graduates from the local college or meeting minutes of obscure organizations for example). Some of these books were stale to begin with and didn't improve with age. Still, the site is worth visiting (or not, depending on one's interests).

How many of the books on your list have you read or sampled? This isn't a hostile question. I too would include Gibbons' History of the Roman Empire, even though I have only sampled it and have no intention of ever reading it. So much scholarship in Roman Empire history has been done since the late 18th century.

If you had to list 5 or 10 books that were seminal in your intellectual life, what might they include?
  • Jack Cummins

I just logged onto the 'Forgotten Books' website which you mentioned. I found it to be fascinating, as a way of gaining access to reading many rare books, and I have downloaded a few. It has some interesting esoteric ones. The philosophy ones are useful too. The only thing which I struggle with is working out which are dated and those which are relevant for all times. What I mean is the some aspects of psychology and philosophy seem to be based on models which are out of line with current science, whereas others seem to have ideas which are applicable universally. However, I do think that certain ideas which have a forgotten may still be worthwhile exploring.
  • javi2541997
    There is a website in England, "Forgotten Books": Forgotten Books is a London-based book publisher specializing in the restoration of old books, both fiction and non-fictionBitter Crank

Thanks for sharing it Bitter! I going to check it out. It looks like so interesting and the list is huge :100:
  • Antilogic
    Forgotten Books looks interesting. Thanks for the recommendation.

I guess I'm the type of person who likes to collect books, but never gets around to reading them all. Most of what I have read on my lists would be the "canonical" texts of Western philosophical and religious tradition. If I had to list a few of the most influential on my own worldview it would have to include certain books of the Bible, Norman Geisler, William Lane Craig, Immanuel Kant, Soren Kierkegaard, Albert Camus, Friedrich Nietzsche, G.K. Chesterton, Keiji Nishitani, and probably some of the other "existentialist" thinkers.

I have an old page here that kind of goes through my first 7-8 years of self-study: https://antilogicalism.com/my-journey/
  • counterpunch
    What a cool thing to do; thanks for that! Bookmarked your site!
  • synthesis
    Very nice! Thank you.
  • Antilogic
    Just a bit of an update: I spent some time putting together a new page for the bookshelf. The page contains the 50-volume set of The Sacred Books of the East: https://antilogicalism.com/primary-sources/sacred-books-of-the-east/.

I want to make a page for the Harvard Classics next.
  • Jack Cummins

You are putting together a fantastic site. I appreciate it, and I am sure that many others do too.
  • Antilogic
    Thank you all for the kind words and feedback. I was never really sure where I was going with this website, or why. It just kind of developed over time into what it is now. If other people can find some value in it, then that's really great to hear. If anybody has feedback, recommendations, suggestions, constructive criticism, etc. I would be more than happy to listen.

I recently got the Harvard Classics page up: https://antilogicalism.com/primary-sources/harvard-classics/
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment