• Andrew4Handel
    Does it matter the reasons people give for their actions? I think it does because I believe in truth and authenticity.

I don't think that an action based on a false belief is wrong but I think it is nihilistic.
    For example imagine someone built a rocket to go to the moon because they thought it was made of cheese and wanted to taste it.

Rocket technology is valuable so that would seem to mitigate the false belief.
    However a lot of false beliefs like racism, nationalism, sexism/misogyny, homophobia etc have dire consequences.

Why do we care about the false beliefs leading to racism, misogyny, prejudice in general, pseudoscience et al and not about the rest of peoples panoply of false beliefs that motivate them?
  • javi2541997
    Why do we care about the false beliefs leading to racism, misogyny, prejudice in general, pseudoscience et al and not about the rest of peoples panoply of false beliefs that motivate them?Andrew4Handel

For us could be false beliefs but for others can be a reason of living. Sadly, humans tend to separate each other between ethics or races for centuries. As you said, this is completely wrong but somehow has motivated a lot of people because they used to like the feeling of being different and superior because my skin and money say so. Governments and social media are guilty in this context more than ever. They are spreading a lot of hate
    I guess having false beliefs as you said, for example, the moon is made of cheese make us being imaginary people and I think is good. Sometimes believing in something that could be false is not dangerous since the moment we do not hurt each other.
    Remember the white supremacy is totally a false belief but caused a World War and millions of deaths...

Does it matter the reasons people give for their actions? I think it does because I believe in truth and authenticity.Andrew4Handel

Yes, it is. We should do it always.
  • unenlightened
    Beliefs are not motives.

I believe that beliefs are not motives, but my reason for mentioning it is that I actually care that people {like you} think straight.

Does it matter the reasons people give for their actions? I think it does because I believe in truth and authenticity.Andrew4Handel

I think a moment's reflection will make clear to you that it is not mere belief in truth and authenticity, but caring about truth and authenticity. One might say that the difference between belief that and belief in is the addition of motivation. It is expressed in the op fable that a man believed the moon was made of cheese, "and wanted to taste it."

I value truth, because truth helps folks get what they want, including me. The moon isn't made of cheese, and the man was disappointed, but wiser.
  • Andrew4Handel
    I think a moment's reflection will make clear to you that it is not mere belief in truth and authenticity, but caring about truth and authenticity.unenlightened

I don't see the problem here.

In order to belive in truth and authenticity you have to believe that they are valid concepts.

If you don't care about them then that suggests something like psychopathy or ulterior motives.

The reason we have concepts like "pseudoscience" is to try and prevent science being undermined by fallacy. Why should science be protected from fallacy and not any other system of belief/thought?
  • Andrew4Handel
    A reason I oppose religion is because I think it is demonstrably false. Most moderate religious people no longer claim that religion is infallible because they know that that is a dishoenst or unsustainable position.

I don't think we should humour any beliefs that are harmful.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment