• Vessuvius
    The following words constitute an excerpt from what analysis I provided on a different forum, after receiving an inquiry as to what I think is both requisite for, and characteristic of, consciousness; the result, I think proved itself to be incisive, though perhaps emphasized by too great an extent, the evolutionary and biologic conditions which lead toward its development, as opposed to something of a more general application such as may be rooted in Systems-Theory, and how under the conditions of a certain complexity, and as examined within the latter framework, one finds an emergent pattern of either behavior or action which cannot be accounted for by the individual parts that whatever system is so implicated, consists in alone.

The problem of consciousness does overlap in some aspects with the question of life, because there must always exist in these cases some measure of animacy, of the ability of an organism, a thing, to both grow, and adapt, to respond to its environment and not strictly in a way that may confer an advantage, however much this may be evolutionarily favored; these are prerequisites both for the emergence of life, as generally defined, and consciousness too. However, because we have already defined what life is, what its origins are, and how in particular it first came to arise, with the available evidence pointing largely to that of Abiogenesis, or more commonly known as the so-called Primordial Soup Hypothesis, this part of our quest for better self-understanding may be treated as having been solved already, which thus leaves us to confront the second part of the question; what is consciousness, what are the parameters within which it is constrained, and what exact structures of neural anatomy are required for its development? Now, the most fundamental requirement for this, so far as we know, is that of a capacity for sustaining high-energy expenditures, such that this may be selected for in the face of environmental pressures. A more recent supposition, for instance, which concerns why we as a species within the span of not even a hundred thousand years, a mere blip on geologic time-scales, experienced a sudden increase in cranial volume, despite having been so dominant and therefore free from any intensive selectivity for more evolved traits, at least in comparison to most other life-forms; their argument, was that due to the changing climate during the Last Interglacial Period, when the Megafauna that were once so abundant, especially within the plains of North America, and indeed, were one of our primary food-sources, became ever more isolated, and eventually went extinct, that this scarcity forced us to rely upon much smaller, and more nimble types of prey. This, lead in turn toward a proportionally greater chance of failure, in capturing whatsoever had been intended as such, so as to provide evolution with the incentive to select only for those few examples among our kind with the intelligence to best adapt in the face of this change, and hence leading over successive generations to a greater intelligence because those without this greater ability died off at a far higher rate; presumably, through starvation as well as a corresponding lack of fitness under the new-norm. This emerging theory corresponds to my earlier point on the topic of energy-expenditure, because while a greater brain-mass causes an equal increase in the amount of energy necessary to sustain base-functions, this was offset by the extremes of what conditions under which it developed; which is to say, that the improved chance of success for capturing prey was enough of a benefit to compensate for this increased energy-expenditure, as compared to those without it. The balance of a metabolic equilibrium, and a species’ respective environment, as well as the intersection between these two factors are heavily deciding of whether true consciousness, a higher thought, can ever emerge because of what constraints they impress upon the course of both evolutionary and biologic development. Considering the aforementioned set of facts, there are only so many forms that an advanced species may assume for itself, and thus, in nearly all cases, they conform to a similar anatomical schema, and in addition to which, it is thought revolves around a social cooperative; with any manner of communication, thus demanding a fair degree of cognitive ability to be viable, and thereby adding to the pressure of its selection as a preferred trait when considering those examples which are more socially active. Moreover, there exist a collection of unique neural features in all those species which demonstrate a proper self-awareness, a consciousness both of themselves and others, rather than a strict adherence to a set of pre-programmed behaviors such as may be found in the lesser-evolved. This unique collection that I speak of includes, but isn’t limited to a Frontal Cortex, which broadly, is responsible for the maintenance of higher-order processes such as planning, anticipation of both movement and cause, and in conjunction with the Occipital Lobe, the latter of these being the more encompassing part of the Visual Cortex, allows for object-recognition, and if sufficiently developed, differentiation also on the basis of sight. In a few species, and in particular, those with an advanced power of memory-recall, may even be able to abstract in their recognition of a select object as an example of some more general class, and use this information to their benefit; where applicable, this demonstrates another facet of that which is defining of consciousness, of the capacity not merely to react, but to learn. When taken together, these patterns leave one with a fairly good impression of what consciousness consists in, the means through which it originates, and how it may be defined within its most natural setting.

Though, for the sake of brevity, those equally compelling subjects that correspond to an ethic of Transhumanism, and the viability of creating an Artificial Mind, and more to the point, whether such an entity may even be qualified as in possession of consciousness, or capable of encountering like forms of experience, have all been overlooked; in no way however, does this disallow them each of being entitled to as comprehensive an analysis as I have provided on that broader question to which they relate.
  • Banno

Why don't folk do paragraphs anymore?

I ain't reading that.
  • Vessuvius
    If it is the case that you find yourself disinclined toward the idea of reading that which I have written, despite the dedication of so great an effort which it accounts for, then in a practice of self-reflection, and self-restraint, I would encourage you not to respond at all. Lest the result, such as it is, be one of gross irrelevance, and certainly of no import.

That is all I have to say on your point.
  • javi2541997
    and the viability of creating an Artificial Mind, and more to the point, whether such an entity may even be qualified as in possession of consciousness, or capable of encountering like forms of experience, have all been overlookedVessuvius

It is interesting how scientists try to find out an Artificial Mind or AI, etc... instead of developing more our consciousness or even animals minds. I guess this debate about how further we can go in terms of developing a machine which could think by itself it is quite interesting but irrelevant at the same time if we don’t understand ourselves yet. Don’t you think?
  • Vessuvius

I am of the view which seems quite prevalent among those with a specialized interest in the study of neural correlates, and the brain more generally, that rather than endeavoring to create an Artificial Mind from scratch, that we begin with an examination of first principles instead, and not of any computational paradigm, but a neurological one. Such that the complexities associated with the 'Mind' itself serve as the foremost source of inspiration, and more relevantly, are the scaffold upon which whatever machine remains set to possess the qualities of consciousness by design, is built. There is reason for adopting this view precisely because, and as I thought to make clear in my earlier argument, consciousness, so far as we can tell, is an emergent property of sufficiently complex neural-networks and thus arises naturally only under the conditions granted to higher-lifeforms. For instance, most species of Great Ape can claim to have slightly in excess of 30 billion neurons, each of which branches off to forge new-connections, and impressions, as further experience is gained, beginning from the earliest stages of birth, and with this pattern of branching off being mediated on the most fundamental level, by reinforcement and decay of what neural-structures exist from this time onward, and as their respective amplitudes are potentiated according to frequency of use. Eventually, in a more mature individual, each such structure will have established at minimum, a dozen unique inter-connections within its immediate vicinity, leading toward a total amount of several hundred billion such connections on average within members of the above-mentioned taxonomic family. Moreover, depending upon whether environmental enrichment is deliberately provided or not, in the sense of a possible conservation-project, this value can be increased still further as the individual in question adapts to a more novel setting than would otherwise apply. And yet, we have succeeded only in modelling with enough fidelity the exact functions associated with the neural-structures of select species of Roundworm, whose complexity in this aspect represents less than even a thousandth of a percent, that complexity found among any member of the Great Apes. Which in turn, indicates to me the inviability that holds true as it regards uncovering the particulars responsible for consciousness, except as Quantum Computers become dominant, and outpace by several orders of magnitude the ability of our current devices to simulate the full interactions found within dynamical-systems of both this scale and type.

While I don't doubt that we will reach a solution by the end of the century, it will be a most exhausting course to get there.
  • Mww
    total amount of several hundred billion such connectionsVessuvius

Ironic, I think, that to measure and experiment on such scale, should tend to disrupt the system being measured. Pretty hard to see how the objective observer.....the dude directing the measuring device....doesn’t himself eclipse the subjective observer, the one being measured, merely from the measurement itself. Plus....how many gaps make a network? To determine what makes, e.g., a moral degenerate (or a genius diagnostic surgeon) is to quantize some pathway......how many probes would that require? And to determine that, is to possibly destroy it.

Humans. Never ones to leave well enough alone.
  • Wayfarer
    you need more line breaks in your text. It looks like the Terms and Conditions of an insurance contract, never mind what it says.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.