• Aryamoy Mitra
    Here's an entirely degenerate, and otherwise facetious question.
    1. If you could fate the human race to its cessation, in instantaneity, would you? (8 votes)
        Yes, most certainly.
        13%
        I'm ambivalent.
        25%
        No, in all likelihood.
        63%
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    Not ever! :strong:
    Come on now, who hasn't been having a great time in life this past year? :rofl:
    In all seriousness? We got this :ok:
    And as many times as life breaks us down, we have the ability to rise again. :sparkle:
  • Aryamoy Mitra

And as many times as life breaks us down, we have the ability to rise againArguingWAristotleTiff

Before resurfacing from unrelenting tragedy, which we most certainly can, have we ever asked whether to rise?
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    Before resurfacing from unrelenting tragedy, which we most certainly can, have we ever asked whether to rise?Aryamoy Mitra

Not in those particular words that I can get hung up on. So please let me reflect to you what I think you are asking (at least the spirit of what you are asking).

Have I entertained the idea of: before rushing back in, that I take a look at what it is that I am rushing back to and if it is worthy of returning to?

Anywhere close to what you are asking?
  • Aryamoy Mitra
    Have I entertained the idea of: before rushing back in, that I take a look at what it is that I am rushing back to and if it is worthy of returning to?ArguingWAristotleTiff

Yes, that is precisely what I was asking.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    Yes, that is precisely what I was asking.Aryamoy Mitra

I appreciate your time clarifying it for me. :flower:

My answer is an evolving yes. Not only yes but HELL yes.

I'm used to stress and hyper anxious by nature so last year this time I was able to control the ever changing curve balls the novel pandemic was throwing us. The pandemic fatigue wears on but I feel blessed to maybe have survived. I will feel a lot more secure when I am Vaccinated and through the time frame necessary to be quasi protected. Much of my spouses family are choosing not to be Vaccinated which is their choice. I am just not going to not have done everything we know today that might protect me and my parents.

Having said that: my personal world turned inside out in May when my husband dissected his aorta, ascending and descending. COVID restrictions were in place and for weeks he was on a ventilator, brain bleed and blood pressure so high they couldn't move him for 4 days into the CT machine to see if he was "in" there. He survived and our youngest son and I kept our personal business alive for the 7 weeks before we could ask him questions.

So I have had to entertain my life alone if he died. He survived and we are blessed he did. The PTSD from being on the ventilator so long is still present daily. I brought my Social worker on board before he came out of the induced coma and he helped me and my son who found my husband and saved his life. I saw a Psychiatrist to make sure my meds were balanced, they are. He was actually impressed with how well I'm doing.

I wish I could say that the same was the case for my better half but all I can do is request, as other loved ones have requested. He has to want to survive AND thrive, I cannot do it for him.

Sorry for the long answer but I wanted to answer fairly and it helps me to talk about it.

Thank you for asking :flower:
    Oh and Welcome to The Philosophy Forum~
    Enjoy your stay!
  • Aryamoy Mitra

Having said that: my personal world turned inside out in May when my husband dissected his aorta, ascending and descending. COVID restrictions were in place and for weeks he was on a ventilator, brain bleed and blood pressure so high they couldn't move him for 4 days into the CT machine to see if he was "in" there. He survived and our youngest son and I kept our personal business alive for the 7 weeks before we could ask him questions.ArguingWAristotleTiff

Firstly, I'm apologetic for the personal adversities you have had to confront, and I'm thrilled that your family remains intact and well. If anything, how you've emerged in its aftermath is a testament to how valiant and forbearing you've been, which in turn is an affirming revelation. Quite truthfully, your story's both solemn and inspirational. Thank you, for sharing it.

My answer is an evolving yes. Not only yes but HELL yes.ArguingWAristotleTiff

That is, naturally, a compelling answer. I've continually vacillated on the subject, partially since I haven't lived a life long enough to be decisive, and partially as a result of its gargantuan ramifications. Ultimately, though, meaning that is derived from ennoblement (overcoming chaos and uncertainty) and living a virtuous life (staying true to yourself, despite every incentive not to), is perhaps the best fortification against nihilism. It isn't flawless, but nonetheless mitigates against the emergence of self-resentment, and by extension misanthropic constructs.
  • 180 Proof
    Stay strong, lady! :strong: You and yours keep on surviving & thriving. :flower:

If you could fate the human race to its cessation, in instantaneity, would you?Aryamoy Mitra
    Please rephrase this, all I'm getting is whether or not I'd euthanize the whole of humanity if I could in an instant ... which feels like I'm missing something, or not reading the intent of the question correctly.
  • Aryamoy Mitra
    That's virtually what the question's intent is, though - whether one would render the end of the human race, instantaneously - with no immediate sensory consequences (inclusive of suffering and pain), whatsoever. I'm not certain that euthanasia is an appropriate characterization, however (since it's willful, and as a term caters to individuals).
  • Gus Lamarch
    Maybe, maybe not.

Humanity is made up of those who wish the death of everyone else but theirs, and vice versa; humanity is composed of those who would give their existence and their essence for the lives of others, even if they found theirselves in complete suffering, or in complete and absolute happiness, or even in total ataraxia; Some would even cease the existence of everyone - including of themselves - only to return to being after an instantaneous eternity of non-existence.

It does not matter if you choose a totality, your essence needs the realization of your own nature.

In this case, Humanity is Ambivalence, because it needs life as much as it needs death, and it needs death as much as it needs life.

Therefore: - All of us, even if limited by the number of options, would create a completely unique conclusion.
  • 180 Proof
    Ok, then NO. Gigacide makes even less sense to me than suicide.

However, I'd certainly "play god" though, if I could, in the way the manga Death Note proposes (subjectively, yet (hopefully, maturity permitting) wisely) meteing-out "justice" especially to "the rich & powerful" (re: business / political / org.-crime oligarchs) and violently psychopathic "mooks". A year is all the time I'd need or maybe one month (31 days) out of each year for a decade (re: limited use of the "Death Note" so I don't inadvertently become what I hate). :smirk:
  • Nils Loc
    We just ceased. Here we are again.

I don't think mass blinking out of existence would make much of a difference if being is inevitable. There is no time for non-being so "in no time" being will be, whatever the variant flavor is.
  • Sir2u
    If you could fate the human race to its cessation, in instantaneity, would you?Aryamoy Mitra

I think that giving the chance of a reasonable life expectancy to billions of creatures that are trying desperately to survive humanity would not be too bad a deal. Sometimes you just have to hate what we are doing to the earth.
    But maybe the younger ones that come along will try harder to repair the damage we have done, at least some of it anyway.

Just please do not ask me to press the button.
  • Aryamoy Mitra

Just please do not ask me to press the button.Sir2u

Press the button.
  • Mww

Smacks of suicide, and I ain’t done yet, so......no.
  • Aryamoy Mitra

Smacks of suicide, and I ain’t done yet, so......no.Mww

I'm inquisitive, though; is your decisiveness on this subject predicated solely on mitigating against the eventuality of your own demise, or is it at all characterized by a larger reverence of the human race?
  • Mww

I hold no reverence for the human race in general, even if I’ve been acquainted with some fine individual members of it.

I’m going with predication solely on my own continuance, I must say.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.