• Shawn
    I know this comment might not be received as best it can due to the nature of philosophy promoting a certain way of life. Yet, it never got through, by at least the Oxford or Cambridge philosophical linguists; but, Wittgenstein said that one ought not to treat life as a game of some sort. Language kind goes on holiday when doing philosophy, and one ought just simply imbue themselves in living.

Yet, as children, and perhaps rightly so, we are brought up with certain ideals in life to strive for. In my case, it was the idea of making a contribution to a field of some sort. Now, in my early 30's, I'm coming to realize that changes are brought out by activities in one's own life. The time of social upheavals has mostly ended, and the small influential changes of winning a Fields medal (although I have one from 17 y/o) or Nobel Peace Prize, are all quite fleeting.

Schopenhauer, a great influence in my 20's promoted the idea that dukkha and desiring are the sources of pain and unpleasantness. Yet, it seems a fact of life in society, that people should want more. This is something commonplace in the West, to want, and have a means to satisfy this want, being it money.

Now, that life is becoming pretty simple, given my minimalist proclivities, I find that my past is becoming sort of a comedy for myself, in trying at college to stand out or become something more than what I was. I also, feel quite frustrated that Schopenhauer was an obsession instead of something more appropriate as mindfulness or easy tasks like working online or making a living online.

So, what has your thoughts been around this time of life, being the 30's? Was it a difficult time for you or just kind of finding your place in society by then and getting along with it? My 20's were really the worst period of my life.
  • Tom Storm
    So, what has your thoughts been around this time of life, being the 30's? Was it a difficult time for you or just kind of finding your place in society by then and getting along with it? My 20's were really the worst period of my life.Shawn

It's easy to take ideas too seriously. I found that as soon as I stopped thinking and started doing - immersing myself in activities that meant something - I found calm and comparative happiness.
  • javi2541997
    what has your thoughts been around this time of life, being the 30's? Was it a difficult time for you or just kind of finding your place in society by then and getting along with it? My 20's were really the worst period of my life.
    @Shawn

I am 23 years old (well I am close to 24 because my birthday is the next month). Some people say I sound like an "adult" when I say that I no longer have ideals or beliefs in the long run. I just work/study trying to get a properly life without employment problems or whatever, but I gave up trying to find a place in the society since I was 18 because I don't believe in communities neither zoo politikon or families (probably I am quite anarchic or Bakuninst).
    Fortunately I can say my early 20's are going "good" and I don't think they are worse than others. Nevertheless I never had a good era thinking about it deeply. As teenager everything sucked but my adulthood is not going as good as I expected. Probably this is the problem. A lot of expectations instead of having the feet in reality.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment