• Proximate1
    The reality which we can know is finite. It can be defined and identified.
    Infinite- in this sense as defined by its original Old French linguistical terminology- in [not] finite, meaning not finite. This points to infinite reality as being outside of knowledge or definition.
    When we define traits of the universe it becomes a finite condition- infinite is not this.
    So is there an unknowable basis of reality that is beyond knowledge or definition?
  • Tom Storm
    The reality which we can know is finite.Proximate1

How do you demonstrate that?
  • 180 Proof
    So is there an unknowable basis of reality that is beyond knowledge or definition?Proximate1
    If there is "an unknowable basis of reality ...", then wouldn't that fact itself also be "unknowable" ?
  • Proximate1
    It would be unknowable.
    I suppose at this juncture we can only muse whether something does exist beyond our ability to reason or not. Does it matter? If you want it to- just like hidden worlds and pixie dust we are free to conceive wherever our minds can go. We only box ourselves in when we think to some arbitrary wall of oblivion and say there's nothing beyond.
    Perhaps musing of yet unheard of reality is our purpose.
  • Proximate1
    We demonstrate this by definition of finite itself. Generally the clue is when you have something that 'is this' and 'is not that', the duality inherent to finite existence solidifies something into a knowable state. 'This red apple' is not the 'rock on the front lawn' these are finite things that are readily identifiable.
  • 180 Proof

Reason is limited. The Real exceeds (i.e. encompasses) reasoning. Is there 'beyond the real'? Is it endless? – to reason-limited (i.e. enabled-constrained)-by-the-real this question makes no sense.
  • Proximate1
    Reason is limited- to the three pounds of grey matter we have between our ears. Our thought s are produced by our brain, which is the mechanism of our perceptions and creativity. It's funny how people tend to wall this up like that which lies outside our knowledge needs a fence to separate real from non-real. But there is necessity in defining reality to a point just to negotiate our daily lives and defining reality helps many people to operate in this world.
    Is there 'beyond the real'? This is a semantic journey requiring at least some definition of 'real' and then some way of probing into what might be beyond what is real. We have our senses and our sensibility, then derive some order out of the immediate environment to survive. Anything else is frosting on the cake. I like frosting.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.