• tim wood
    It seems to me an issue of terminology, and I admit I'm not current on it. I'm thinking that man/woman, for nearly all people, is simply an incontrovertible fact. E.g., when you're dead and the mortician strips you down, he sees that you're one or the other.

I'm somewhat aware there are lots of people who indulge a personal confusion in thinking and feeling their "identity" does not conform to certain facts of their bodies. I am not aware that the words "man" and "woman" are any part of that confusion, but instead are fixed points for navigating questions of sexuality.
  • Jack Cummins

I would say that the whole spectrum of gender identities is complex indeed for some people. It is a topic beyond the scope of a gender rates poll and I was just clearing up any confusion about the word 'other' on forms, because I know this category has been introduced on some forms in the last few years.
  • tim wood
    And it seems to me that the exact terms man, woman, other, are intended to be mutually exclusive. Which is why the question about "other." Either that or evidence of confusion or incomplete understanding or thinking on the part of the composer.
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.