• BARAA
    I've found that plenty of members on the forum have deep problems with trusting logic or doubt the appliance of logical laws to the outside world which make me ask...........
    1. Do you think someone who denies or doubts logic really does so all the time? (0 votes)
        (s)he does
          0%
        (s)he doesn't
          0%
    2. Do you agree that such person forgets about his claimed doubt most of the time? (0 votes)
        Yes
          0%
        No
          0%
  • creativesoul
    What are you talking about when you say "laws of logic"?
  • creativesoul
    What about the rules of logical entailment; do those count as the laws of logic?
  • Wayfarer
    doubt the appliance of logical laws to the outside worldBARAA

you do realise that this proposition actually says a lot? That the connection between logic and reality is a deeply contested issue in contemporary philosophy?

This manifests as 'relativism' in philosophy. It is a consequence of the abandonment of the pre-modern idea of the divine origin of natural law. It is associated with the philosophical writings of Nietszche, in particular, but has nowadays becomed virtually assumed in secular culture.

Instead, modern culture tend to see logical laws in terms of (say) mental constructs which generate useful results, without necessarily referring to an external world. 'Instrumentalism' in philosophy of science is rather like that. It's not to claim logic isn't effective, but that it is limited in its scope as a matter of principle, and that it's innacurate to claim that it has any kind of absolute referent in the so-called 'real world'.
  • BARAA
    'Instrumentalism' in philosophy of science is rather like that. It's not to claim logic isn't effective, but that it is limited in its scope as a matter of principle, and that it's innacurate to claim that it has any kind of absolute referent in the so-called 'real world'.Wayfarer

And this always let me very confused and sad...... Like HOW ON EARTH they can't realize that they should abandon science if they believe such a thing..... science is literally meaningless if accompanied by having such a belief.
  • god must be atheist
    There are a lot of people on the forum who are introspective, immersed in deep thought or else soaring with the eagles in pinnacles of sacrosanct truths such as "Socrates was never wrong" and their immediate social environment encouraged them to take philosophy, or join a philosophy forum, seeing they never said anything comprehensible to the common person, so the common person figured that the place of these geniuses is on a philosophy forum with other geniuses.

This site is well moderated. But try some of the other philosophy sites, and your hair will stand on end.
  • Wayfarer
    Like HOW ON EARTH they can't realize that they should abandon science if they believe such a thing..... science is literally meaningless if accompanied by having such a belief.BARAA

When Neils Bohr and Werner Heisenberg were debating their discoveries in atomic physics - you may recall they were basically the founders of modern atomic physics - Heisenberg, who was Bohr’s junior by many years, said that he would sometimes be reduced to tears by the fierce disagreements they were having over the interpretation of their findings.

Likewise, Einstein and Bohr debated for decades, until the 1940’s when Einstein was at the end of his career. Einstein couldn’t accept the implications of quantum physics, genius though he was. It was too much of a challenge to his native realism, which firmly believed in a fixed objective reality that could never be defined, in part, by the act of observing it. ‘Does the moon continue to exist’, he protested, ‘when nobody’s looking at it?’ This of course is a rhetorical question, but the fact that he felt obliged to ask it is what is significant.

I mention these examples in particular, because I see them as being part of the advent of post-modernism. ‘All that is solid melts into the air’, as one of the books about it was titled. It’s hard to get a grip on it, but important. One of the books I discovered courtesy of Internet forums which helped me to get a handle on it was The Truth About the Truth, Walt Anderson.

You have to be prepared for the sense of the floor falling away, however. It’s just one of those things about living in this period of time.
  • BARAA

Does the book you linked revolve around arguing for instrumentalism?
  • Wayfarer
    Does the book you linked revolve around arguing for instrumentalism?BARAA

No, it's much broader. It's a series of essays by and about many different people. You can see the ToC in the link. I only mentioned instrumentalism because it's one illustration of a broader underlying issue.
  • creativesoul
    That the connection between logic and reality is a deeply contested issue in contemporary philosophy?Wayfarer

Presupposing...

...that there is only one connection between logic and reality...

...is a problem.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.