• Pantagruel
    I'm looking for a really comprehensive history of humanity, from its earliest beginnings to modernity. I just bought the Sapiens/Homo Deus boxed set by Harari, but I'm hoping for something with a lot more detail and depth, although still a conceptual direction, as opposed to just an 'archaeology of humanity.'
  • 180 Proof
    Here be details (& controversies):

A History of Civilizations, Fernand Braudel
    Guns, Germs, and Steel, Jared Diamond
    Plagues and Peoples, William McNeill
    Freedom, Orlando Patterson
    Catching Fire, Richard Wrangham
  • Pantagruel
    Nice. Thanks for taking the time. :up:
  • Rafaelsanchez53
    No matter how much you search or read, not even in 100 lifetimes you will get "a really comprehensive history of humanity, from its earliest beginnings to modernity... with a lot more detail and depth" but, taken as a whole, that's a project worthwhile to undertake during the time you have on this planet. If you read everything, from Chinese classical poetry to tweets and anything in between, and you do it in the proper way, (thinking as best as possible every time) you will then have the book you are searching for.
  • Pantagruel
    No matter how much you search or read, not even in 100 lifetimes you will get "a really comprehensive history of humanity, from its earliest beginnings to modernity... with a lot more detail and depth" but, taken as a whole, that's a project worthwhile to undertake during the time you have on this planet. If you read everything, from Chinese classical poetry to tweets and anything in between, and you do it in the proper way, (thinking as best as possible every time) you will then have the book you are searching forRafaelsanchez53

You like to play 'devil's advocate,' don't you? It's a tendency I used to be much dominated by myself. I think it arises out a legitimate aspiration to critical-dialectical thinking. But after many years, I found that, as much as it hones the critical faculty, it is also a real impediment to constructive discourse. I think that "Rogerian argument" is the evolution of the 'uncompromising dialectic.'
  • Rafaelsanchez53
    You can ponder about my intentions as much as you want but it just draw my attention such a high expectation from a book, "a really comprehensive history of humanity... with a lot more detail and depth" is (or could become) a lifelong aspiration, not something to digest in a few hours.

"Distructive" discurse, if it is done properly, may be as fruitful and rewarding as the other one. It cleans the land and you can start to build something without impediments if that's what you want. I think it is better not to do it and spend that energy trying to survive the cold winds but I have nothing to say (more precisely, no energy to spend) against those who feel that they need a house no matter what
  • Pantagruel
    You can ponder about my intentions as much as you want but it just draw my attention such a high expectation from a book, "a really comprehensive history of humanity... with a lot more detail and depth" is (or could become) a lifelong aspiration, not something to digest in a few hours.Rafaelsanchez53

Actually you assumed that I was seeking some kind of shortcut. Quite the contrary, I am engaged in precisely the dedicated lifelong encyclopediac undertaking that you described. My 2020 reading list is in the Currently Reading thread here.
  • Rafaelsanchez53
    No assumption here, a book by itself can never hold such amount of content and is really a shortcut. What I in fact supposed is that you are already a pantagruel of books and so, you are on your way to do what I mentioned but I still wrote the post because that's one of the things that people do when they are bored during the weekend.
  • Pantagruel
    I still wrote the post because that's one of the things that people do when they are bored during the weekend.Rafaelsanchez53

Yes, some do :)
  • Streetlight
    Andre Leroi-Gourhan's Gesture and Speech. I cannot, cannot, cannot recommended this enough.
  • Pantagruel
    ↪Pantagruel Andre Leroi-Gourhan's Gesture and Speech. I cannot, cannot, cannot recommended this enough.StreetlightX

Ah, MIT Press, always a winner.

Doesn't look like it is available to buy, checking the InterLibrary Loan system...

Thanks!!
  • Streetlight
    Wow, I just took a quick look, I didn't realize how hard this is to find. There's a 2nd hand copy selling here for USD$250, but that's kind of ridic. If you want, I can shoot you a pdf copy.
  • Pantagruel
    Appreciate that, I was able to find the PDF.

I'm pretty committed to my books. I just bought a used copy of Sydney Hooks' Metaphysics of Pragmatism that cost me $45 with shipping, and it's not a big book. The Popper I bought last year were about $60 each.
  • Streetlight
    Shipping to Australia means that books regularly cost me that much :cry: Like, if I can get a book <AUD$35, that's a rare and good day.
  • Pantagruel
    Well, commitment is the measure of value and the price of reward.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment