• Maw
    Anything Wolfgang Streeck or Mike Davis or Robert Brenner
    Andreas Malm's Fossil Capital
    Gindin and Panitch's The Making of Global Capitalism
    Ellen Wood's The Origin of Capitalism

So much!
    StreetlightX

I got a few books by Ellen Wood (already own/have read Origin of Capitalism, although I might re-read it next year). Also got Robert Brenner's tome, Merchants and Revolution, Domenico Losurdo's Liberalism: A Counter History, and a few other books.

Looks like I have to buy my fourth bookshelf!
  • Streetlight
    I got books spilling out from under my bed atm haha. If it helps, I bought Robin Blackburn's two books on Atlantic slavery as part of the sale. Saved me a good AU$60. If you liked Wood, I can't recommend enough Anievas and Nisancioglu's How the West Came to Rule - it's a wonderful corrective to Wood, and covers a heap of non-European history that's well worth reading (not Verso tho). Probably contains some of the best theorization of what capitalism is that I know. Speaking of Wood, currently reading:

Ellen Meiksins Wood - Peasant-Citizen and Slave: The Foundations of Athenian Democracy
    Quentin Skinner - Liberty Before Liberalism
    Raymond Geuss - The Idea of a Critical Theory: Habermas and the Frankfurt School
  • _db
    Re-reading Every Cradle Is a Grave, Sarah Perry.
  • Maw
    Open Veins of Latin America: Five Centuries of the Pillage of a Continent by Eduardo Galeano and trying to finish up Grundrisse by Marx

Probably the last book I'll start this year so I'll do my annual reading list

• The Age of Revolution 1789 - 1848 by Eric Hobsbawm
    • Health Justice Now: Single Payer and What Comes Next by Timothy Faust
    • The Triumph of Injustice: How the Rich Dodge Taxes and How to Make Them Pay by Emmanuel Saez and Gabriel Zucman
    • War and War by Laszlo Krasznahorkai
    • The Expanding Blaze: How the American Revolution Ignited the World, 1775-1848 by Jonathan Israel
    • The Plague by Albert Camus (reread)
    • Prison Notebooks (selections) by Gramsci
    • The Age of Capital: 1848–1875 by Eric Hobsbawm
    • Working-Class Formation: Nineteenth-Century Patterns in Western Europe and the United States edited by Ira Katznelson and Aristide R. Zolberg
    • The Red and the Black by Stendhal
    • Karl Marx: A Nineteenth-Century Life by Jonathan Sperber
    • The Age of Empire: 1875–1914 by Eric Hobsbawm
    • Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson
    • The Fall of the House of Labor: The Workplace, the State, and American Labor Activism, 1865–1925 by David Montgomery
    • Phenomenology of Spirit (haven't finished) by Hegel
    • Critique of the Gotha Programme by Karl Marx
    • Economic and Philosophic Manuscripts of 1844 by Karl Marx (reread)
    • The German Ideology by Karl Mark (just the section on Feuerbach and Historical Materialism)
    • The Age of Extremes: The Short Twentieth Century, 1914–1991 by Eric Hobsbawm
    • The Anatomy of Fascism by Robert Paxton
    • Male Fantasies V1: Women, Floods, Bodies, History by Klaus Theweleit
    • Globalists: The End of Empire and the Birth of Neoliberalism by Quinn Slobodian
    • How Europe Underdeveloped Africa by Walter Rodney
    • Open Veins of Latin America: Five Centuries of the Pillage of a Continent by Eduardo Galeano
    • Grundrisse by Marx
  • Streetlight
    :up: On my last books too. This year was really interesting. 56 books. Probably among my most diverse list in terms of authors and subject matter. Slightly more female authored booked this year compared to last, and definitely less dead white men, although there's alot of that too. Much of the reading influenced by current events. Got a ebook reader late in the year which allowed me to read even more than usual - although I'm reserving that for books <150 pages or so. Biggest acheivement was probably getting through both A Thousand Plateaus and Anti-Oedipus by Deleuze and Guattari. Those have been a long-time coming - working my way 'up' to them for a couple of years. ATP really inspired me to do alot of reading outside of traditional philosophy, which I'm very grateful for. 2021 is probably going to start off with alot of historical reading. Anyway, Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year all. Asterisks indicates favourites:

Deleuze and Guattari:

Eugene Holland - Deleuze and Guattari's 'A Thousand Plateaus': A Readers Guide
    Eugene Holland - Deleuze and Guattari's 'Anti-Oedipus': Introduction to Schizoanalysis
    Brent Adkins - Deleuze and Guattari's A Thousand Plateaus
    Ian Buchanan - Deleuze and Guattari's 'Anti-Oedipus': A Reader's Guide
    Gilles Deleuze and Felix Guattari - A Thousand Plateaus (Capitalism and Schizophrenia Vol. 2)*
    Gilles Deleuze and Felix Guattari - Anti-Oedipus (Capitalism and Schizophrenia Vol. 1)
    David Lapoujade - Aberrant Movements: The Philosophy of Gilles Deleuze*
    Samantha Bankston - Deleuze and Becoming
    Joe Hughes - Philosophy After Deleuze
    Joe Hughes - Deleuze and the Genesis of Representation*
    Ronald Bogue - Deleuze on Literature
    Michael James Bennett - Deleuze and Ancient Greek Physics: the Image of Nature

BLM inspired:

Frank B. Wilderson III (ed.) - Afro-Pessimism: An Introduction
    Frank B. Wilderson III - Afropessimism
    Achille Mbembe - Necropolitics
    Achille Mbembe - Critique of Black Reason
    Achille Mbembe - On the Postcolony
    Fred Moten and Stefano Harney - The Undercommons: Fugitive Planning and Black Study
    Frantz Fanon - The Wretched of the Earth
    Frantz Fanon - Black Skin, White Masks
    Paolo Freire - Pedagogy of the Oppressed
    Aime Cesaire - Discourse on Colonialism

History of Capitalism:

Perry Anderson - Passages From Antiquity to Feudalism
    Perry Anderson - Lineages of the Absolutist State*
    Perry Anderson - Considerations on Western Marxism
    Perry Anderson - In the Tracks of Historical Materialism
    Alexander Anievas and Kerem Nisancioglu - How the West Came to Rule: The Geopolitical Origins of Capitalism*
    Ellen Meiksins Wood - Democracy Against Capitalism: Renewing Historical Materialism*
    Ellen Meiksins Wood - The Origins of Capitalism: A Longer View*
    Ellen Meiksins Wood - The Pristine Culture of Capitalism: A Historical Essay on Old Regimes and Modern States
    Silvia Federici - Caliban and the Witch: Women, the Body, and Primitive Accumulation

Anthropology:

David Graeber - Revolutions in Reverse: Essays on Politics, Violence, Art, and Imagination
    David Graeber - Fragments of an Anarchist Anthropology
    Pierre Clastres - Archaeology of Violence
    Pierre Clastres - Society Against the State: Essays in Political Anthropology
    Bruno Latour - We Have Never Been Modern
    Eduardo Viveiros de Castro - Cannibal Metaphysics

Political Economy:

Mariana Mazzucato - The Entrepreneurial State: Debunking Public vs. Private Sector Myths
    Mariana Mazzucato - The Value of Everything: Making and Taking in the Global Economy
    Ann Pettifor - The Production on Money: How to Break the Power of Bankers
    Jereome Roos - Why Not Default?: The Political Economy of Sovereign Debt*

Misc.:

Jospeh Strayer - On the Medieval Origins of the Modern State
    Raymond Geuss - The Idea of a Critical Theory: Habermas and the Frankfurt School
    Quentin Skinner - Liberty Before Liberalism
    Reza Negarestani - Intelligence and Spirit*
    Catherine Malabou - Morphing Intelligence: From IQ to Brain Measurement
    Kojin Karatani - Isonomia and the Origins of Philosophy
    Giorgio Agamben - Creation and Anarchy: The Work of Art and the Religion of Capitalism
    Giorgio Agamben - What Is Philosophy?* (reread)
    German Eduardo Primera - The Political Ontology of Giorgio Agamben: Signatures of Life and Power
    Jean Piaget - Structuralism
    Bernard Cache - Earth Moves: The Furnishing of Territories
    Judith Butler - Frames of War: When is Life Grievable?
    Judith Butler - Precarious Life
    Judith Butler - Notes Towards a Performative Theory of Assembly
    Isabell Lorey - State of Insecurity: Government of the Precarious

Currently Reading:

Ellen Meiksins Wood - Peasant-Citizen and Slave: The Foundations of Athenian Democracy
    Albert O. Hirschman - The Passions and the Interests: Political Arguments for Capitalism Before Its Triumph
  • Maw
    56 booksStreetlightX

Fuck you
  • Maw

I bought Anti-Oedipus while in college 11 years ago and haven't managed to get past a handful of pages. Need to get through it at some point... Your BLM reading list is quite inspiring as is your History of Capitalism, and to that end I would recommend How Europe Underdeveloped Africa by Walter Rodney and Open Veins of Latin America by Eduardo Galeano

And since we're doing end-of-year lists I also wrote up the top movies I watched this year in another thread, since I assume people watched more movies this year than in other years.
  • Pantagruel
    The Interpretation of Cultures by Clifford Geertz
  • Pantagruel
    Lucky 42 for me.
    Listed in approximately the order I read them, except the fiction is lumped together in the middle starting with Sartor Resartus.

• R.G. Collingwood The Idea of History
    • David McMahon Quantum Field Theory Demystified
    • Karl Popper Realism and the Aim of Science
    • Karl Popper The Open Universe
    • Karl Popper Quantum Theory and the Schism in Physics
    • Ervin Laszlo Quantum Shift in the Global Brain
    • Jean-Paul Sartre Critique of Dialectial Reason Vol. 1
    • George Herbert Mead Mind, Self, and Society
    • Max Weber The Protestant Ethic and the Spirit of Capitalism
    • Max Weber Economy and Society
    • Talcott Parsons The Structure of Social Action Vol. 1
    • Talcott Parsons The Structure of Social Action Vol. 2
    • Karl Marx The Portable Karl Marx
    • Karl Marx Capital Vol. 1
    • Karl Marx Capital Vol. 2
    • Karl Marx Capital Vol. 3
    • John Dewey Human Nature and Conduct
    • John Dewey Democracy and Education
    • Erving Goffman The Presentation of Self in Everyday Life
    • Thomas Carlyle The French Revolution
    • Thomas Carlyle Sartor Resartus
    • Benjamin Disraeli Sybil
    • Aldous Huxley Island
    • Laurence Sterne The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy
    • H.G. Wells Selected Short Stories
    • Charles Dickens The Old Curiosity Shop
    • Charles Dickens Hard Times
    • Charles Dickens The Mystery of Edwin Drood
    • Weis/Hickman Elven Star
    • Weis/Hickman Fire Sea
    • Weis/Hickman Serpent Mage
    • Weis/Hickman Hand of Chaos
    • Weis/Hickman Into the Labyrinth
    • Weis/Hickman Seventh Gate
    • Jurgen Habermas Theory of Communicative Action Vol. 1
    • Jurgen Habermas Theory of Communicative Action Vol. 2
    • Jurgen Habermas Between Facts and Norms: Discourse Theory of Law and Democracy
    • Jurgen Habermas The Inclusion of the Other:Studies in Political Theory
    • Ernst Cassirer Language and Myth
    • Ernst Cassirer An Essay on Man
    • Ferdinand de Saussure Course in General Linguistics
    • Thomas De Quincy Confessions of an English Opium Eater
  • Bertoldo
    This year I read 45 books. It is not the best quantity, but anyways, it is sufficiently good.
    The last one was an essay of Ivan Kireevsky, an orthodox philosopher, of the Slavophile movement.
    On the Necessity and Possibility of New Principles in Philosophy - I. Kireevsky.

By the way, I'm currently reading Phaedrus.
  • Streetlight
    bought Anti-Oedipus while in college 11 years ago and haven't managed to get past a handful of pages. Need to get through it at some point... Your BLM reading list is quite inspiring as is your History of Capitalism, and to that end I would recommend How Europe Underdeveloped Africa by Walter Rodney and Open Veins of Latin America by Eduardo GaleanoMaw

Having spent so long on Anti-Oedipus i can honestly say that unless you're interested in the minutiae of psychoanalysis, it's honestly not worth it. The third chapter, which offers a kind of idiosyncratic typology of human social development, is the best thing there, but everything else is hyper narrowly focused on some very obscure debates within psychoanalytic theory. You're far better off reading Fanon. It really dismays me that it's Deleuze's most well known work.

And yeah, both Rodney and Galeano are definitely on my list to to-reads - if I keep up the historical bent of reading that I'm planning for next year, they'll be there for sure. Ironically, despite my dislike of AO, it's that third chapter that kinda reawakened by interest in history.
  • _db
    Technopoly, Neil Postman
  • _db
    Found a copy of Strayer's On the Medieval Origins of the Modern State, thanks for the rec.

Also picked up Man and Technics by Oswald Spengler and A Short History of Progress by Ronald Wright.
  • Streetlight
    Found a copy of Strayer's On the Medieval Origins of the Modern State,darthbarracuda

It's an OK read. It surprisingly comes off as a history of... bureaucracy. Which I suppose is not all that different from the state.
  • Pantagruel
    The Savage Mind, by Levi-Strauss
  • Streetlight
    Ellen Meiksins Wood - Citizens to Lords: A Social History of Western Political Thought from Antiquity to the Middle Ages
    Albert O. Hirschman - The Rhetoric of Reaction: Perversity, Futility, Jeopardy
    Gilles Deleuze - Foucault
  • 180 Proof
    january 2021 readings

Searching For Whitopia, Rich Benjamin
    The Structure of World History: From Modes of Production to Modes of Exchange, Kōjin Karatani
    The Enlightenment: The Pursuit of Happiness, Ritchie Robertson
    Ages of Discord: A Structural-Demographic Analysis of American History, Peter Turchin
    Big White Ghetto, Kevin D. Williamson

re-reading

Memoirs, General William Techumseh Sherman
  • Maw
    The Structure of World History: From Modes of Production to Modes of Exchange, Kōjin Karatani180 Proof

Sounds interesting!
  • Pantagruel
    The Structure of World History: From Modes of Production to Modes of Exchange, Kōjin Karatani
    — 180 Proof

Sounds interesting!
    Maw

It does.
  • Thinking
    The Ringing Cedars of Russia by Vladimir Megre
  • Maw
    Ellen Meiksins Wood - Citizens to Lords: A Social History of Western Political Thought from Antiquity to the Middle AgesStreetlightX

Starting this too
  • Streetlight
    Cool! It's more 'pop' than alot of her other work, and pretty breezy to get through.
  • Benkei
    this is why I join a philosophy forum, you can read all the books and I'll see the acquired wisdom seep through into your posts. Meanwhile I started book 3 of the Stormlight Archive, Oathbringer.
  • Pantagruel
    Essays on the Sociology of Knowledge by Karl Mannheim
    Looking forward to these. Structures of Thinking was a tour de force
  • Pantagruel
    One-Dimensional Man: Studies in the Ideology of Advanced Industrial Society
    by Herbert Marcuse
  • Streetlight
    Ellen Meiksins Wood -Liberty and Property: A Social History of Western Political Thought from Renaissance to Enlightenment (2nd part of the 2 volume history). First volume was interesting, a very unique approach to reading the history of philosophy, as theoretical responses to tensions between the state, property holders, and producers. Very different to the usual 'immanent' account of ideas responding to other ideas in historical vacuum.
  • Ciceronianus
    I'm currently reading this, but also these:

Imperial Ideology and Provincial Loyalty in the Roman Empire, Clifford Ando;
    A Cultural History of Chess-Players: Minds, Machines and Monsters, John Sharples;
    Ars Vitae: The Fate of Inwardness and the Return of the Ancient Arts of Living, Elisabeth Lasch-Quinn;
    John Dewey's Ecology of Experience, Kai Alhanen;
    The Knowledge Machine: How Irrationality Created Modern Science, Michael Strevens;
    Nature's Mutiny: How the Little Ice Age of the Long Seventeenth Century Transformed the West and Shaped the Present, Philipp Blom (Long title award)
  • Pantagruel
    The Human Place in the Cosmos
    by Max Scheler
  • Maw
    Liberty and Property: A Social History of Western Political Thought from Renaissance to Enlightenment by Ellen Meiksins Wood
  • Pantagruel
    First Principles by Herbert Spencer
    Wingfield's Hope by Dan Needles
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.