• frank
    Fortune magazine says the reason we haven't had either a soft or hard landing from the Fed's efforts to control inflation is private lending. This is basically the super wealthy providing private loans, thereby subverting regulations. Fortune says the reason this has allowed the economy to avoid recession is that the loans are relatively invisible. If a company misses a payment, it doesn't show up in the WSJ, triggering a wave of trading that amplifies the original problem.
  • Baden

It's the conservative right who fear Reform. The better Reform do, the better for Labour*, because it's largely conservative votes they're taking. That's clear based on any understanding of the first past the post system, which tends to offer disproportionate benefits to the most popular party.

*Although, calling Labour "leftists" is a bit of a joke.

Anyhow, if someone is making this up, it'll be Conservative headquarters who are quaking in their boots right now.
  • Lionino
    It's more to do that they are running the exact same playbook as they did with Trump back in 2016 but Britain-edition. The left-leaning press spent two years talking about how Putin and Trump colluded to take the election from Hillary — it was particularly favourable for them to run this lie when Trump technically lost the popular vote and won due to technicalities.
  • frank
    This kind of borderline freaks me out every time I watch it. Look especially for when the muzzle starts receding until the lips are actually behind the nose.

• javi2541997
    Oyarzabal (who scored the second goal yesterday) and his family have received threats from Basque nationalists. Oyarza is from a tiny town in Basque Country, so everyone knows where he and his mother live. The painting says: 'NO to play for the Spain National Team'

It's disgusting, but what can I expect from an issue that has existed since the 1960s? As well as Ireland had ‘The Troubles’ we have a big issue with ETA and his political lobby: EH Bildu.

https://www.elmundo.es/pais-vasco/2024/07/15/669506c6e9cf4a963f8b4581.html?cid=SIN26101&utm_source=marca.com&utm_medium=interno_bt&utm_campaign=SIN26101&_ga=2.37133860.509677226.1720796434-798002902.1719681135

17210424519901.jpg
  • Lionino

Canada, yes!
  • wonderer1

It's not clear to me that this is a good thing. As water heats up its capacity to absorb CO2 decreases. So given that the temperature of the oceans is increasing, it suggests we will have more rapid increase
    in future atmospheric CO2 levels than would be suggested by models which attributed less CO2 absorption to the oceans.

IOW, it could be an indicator that things are worse than previously thought.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    Hi
    3 years into this divorce as of November. 30 years married as of October.
    I'm back in school obtaining my bachelor's degree in Social work. Spring, Summer and now Fall. My anticipated graduation date is Spring 2026.
    Mom asked me to move back into my childhood home with her since we lost Dad. As a student, I can live as a student, and she appreciates the company...
    The armor is heavy but necessary. I look forward to the day I can be so armor free that the girls are out in the sun and a virgin daiquiri in my hand. Please and thank you
  • L'éléphant
    I look forward to the day I can be so armor free that the girls are out in the sun and a virgin daiquiri in my hand.ArguingWAristotleTiff
    A lofty goal, indeed. I wish you success in BTP (back to parents) living arrangement.
  • javi2541997
    Hello again Tiff! It has been a while! I hope you are doing well. Your mother needs your company, and it is understandable. I think you both need to be together. There are periods in life that only our parents support us. Since you already lost your dad—I am sorry for this—it is time to stay with your mother before it is too late.
  • Lionino
    https://x.com/amnesty/status/1826982698226737303

When I was in school, I thought that Amnesty International was one of those NGOs made up of teenagers who do nothing at all managed by parents, like UN diplomatic simulations. Was I wrong?
  • Baden

Them doing something about / commenting on an issue you consider trivial (transgender rights) is not evidence that they do nothing about things almost everyone would consider important.

https://www.amnesty.org/en/what-we-do/

Your childish smear though is evidence of your lack of intellectual seriousness, something which, oddly, you don't realize you are putting on full display with posts like this. Maybe focus on that.
  • Lionino

It is not even about the topic, it is about the fact that they are using the picture of a female model while the cross-dresser in question is this person:

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/australias-legal-battle-to-define-a-woman-is-not-over-yet/

You would have realised it had you even opened the link and scrolled down a single page.

our childish smear though is evidence of your lack of intellectual seriousnessBaden

Of course mate, I am the one who is intellectually unserious LOL not the tens of people on this website paddling pseudoscience. Maybe focus on that.
  • Baden
    it is about the fact that they are using the picture of a female model while the cross-dresser in question is this person:Lionino

I did see that. It's a cock up on one tweet. So what?

Of course mate, I am the one who is intellectually unserious LOL not the tens of people on this website paddling pseudoscience. Maybe focus on that.Lionino

OK, name just five of these "tens of people" and I'll go deal with them.
  • AmadeusD
    NGOs made up of teenagers who do nothing at all managed by parentsLionino

I think that's just the target audience. That's who they can rile up the most. That said, think its pretty damn clear Amnesty is a pretty blithering organisation largely just virtue signalling. But, they do get some stuff done that wouldn't other be done like clemency for blasphemy death sentences in the middle east and what not
  • javi2541997
    @Baden

Éamon de Valera’s long but fruitless search for his mysterious Spanish father.

I wish we could help to locate some evidence. It is wonderful how our countries collaborated in such a lovely case. :heart:
  • Baden

Ah, yes. There's quite a lot of Spanish blood around Cork where I'm from, actually. I guess the Armada dropped by for a pint?
  • kazan
    frank and javi,
    Noticed the US Fed Res has cut the interest rate by 50 points. You were both close enough in your 4mths ago forecast of around Sept. And now how Wall St took a fall blaming it on the cut.
    Baden,
    Or some Don Juans could swim. Don't the Cornish blame the Phonecian tin trade for their swarthiness. Nothing to do with historical isolation and parochial marriages, of course.
    dry smile
  • javi2541997
    Nice! But I don't deserve that recognition. @frank was actually who nailed the forecast on the reduction of interest rates in September. I start to think that frank might be working at the US Fed Res. :eyes:
  • kazan
    javi,
    Don't undersell your input. It took you two together to land that fish.
    To be precise, frank wrote " I think at least by Sept, the Fed will lower rates".
    It occurred in Sept.
    But allowing for regional variation in language, still accurate enough to prevent a global financial cry sis....lol.
  • frank
    I start to think that frank might be working at the US Fed Res.javi2541997

I'm the janitor.
  • kazan
    @frank,
    So you get to read all the crackpot ideas that get binned? Lucky you.

Cheeky smile
  • Shawn
    Did anyone catch THIS video?

• javi2541997
    One Direction star Liam Payne dies after falling from hotel balcony in Buenos Aires

I never was a fan of One Direction, but I remember how these mates were very famous among the girls of my classroom. I thought they were 'sloppy' but never had anything against them.

Well, one of the old members passed away from a supposed suicide aged 31 years old. It is an absolute disgrace when this happens. I got mad for reading 'troll' comments on the Internet regarding his death. Social media is a sick place.
  • javi2541997
    @ssu

Hello, ssu.

This sad and tough poster has been around in most Madrid metro and train stations recently.

It says: Mum, I want to be Finnish. Children diagnosed with leukaemia have more chances of surviving in Finland than in Spain.

We have an old and backwards ass protocol to provide help and support to those children and their families, and our state doesn't give a shite (mean word, sorry) on this, and it is unfair how a child with leukaemia has more chances of getting better in one country than another. The national health care system in my country is now in the deepest part of the pit. It is not private but public. When I see this, I think: Where do my taxes go?

campaign-poster-on-children-with-leukaemia-in-madrid-spain-v0-6a5ixbojuwvd1.webp
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.