• Tom Storm
    The Emerson doesn’t do it for me, I’m afraid. Too cryptic. Many of the people I have known who championed introspection have been breathtakingly arrogant and appear to lack self-knowledge. (I don’t think you’re one of those.)

I question the extent to which we are capable of examining our own beliefs - our cognitive biases and our unconscious processes might well be unassailable. I do think that people can change, but this process may well be separate from whatever introspection they might imagine they are pursuing.

Happy to change my mind on this, if I hear a good argument.
  • Jafar

You chose a great quote. Emerson is fantastic. At least to me, I think he signifies the importance of one's own authenticity in thinking and at least for me this is a huge part of why I enjoy philosophy and like learning about it. Because of this I really want to take responsibility for my own thinking and be more comfortable with sharing what I think. Thanks you!
  • Jafar

What in particular do you find unassailable in introspection? In what ways do you think introspection fails when an individual attempts it?
  • I like sushi
    My general advice would be to simply write what you read in the simplest form you understand it then go back and check what you just read and see how well your written words align with it. As well as this it is really important to jot down any tangential ideas or thoughts that spring to mind and look where you agree or disagree with what you have just read and try and understand why you feel this way.

As for forums, they are a test of patience, sometimes a nuisance, and sometimes engaging. Either way you get to practice refining your thoughts more concisely as it is decent writing practice.

If you know you are ignorant then you are ready to become more ignorant. That is what any real amount of studying into any topic necessarily does.
  • Tom Storm
    What in particular do you find unassailable in introspection?Jafar

I didn't find anything unassailable.

I said this -

I question the extent to which we are capable of examining our own beliefs - our cognitive biases and our unconscious processes might well be unassailable.Tom Storm

I wonder if we can get past these factors? I'm framing it as a question, not as a claim.

You’re doing great so far, by the way.
  • Moliere
    I wonder if we can get past these factors? I'm framing it as a question, not as a claim.Tom Storm

I'm hesitant to reduce philosophy to psychology -- whether or not our psychology allows us to examine our own beliefs, it's still a part of philosophy to attempt to do so. The image of philosopher here is of Love as described in Symposium

The truth of the matter is this: No god is a philosopher or seeker after wisdom, for he is wise already; nor does any man who is wise seek after wisdom. Neither do the ignorant seek after wisdom. For herein is the evil of ignorance, that he who is neither good nor wise is nevertheless satisfied with himself: he has no desire for that of which he feels no want.'

'But who then, Diotima,' I said, 'are the lovers of wisdom, if they are neither the wise nor the foolish?'

'A child may answer that question,' she replied; 'they are those who are in a mean between the two; Love is one of them. For wisdom is a most beautiful thing, and Love is of the beautiful; and therefore Love is also a philosopher or lover of wisdom, and being a lover of wisdom is in a mean between the wise and the ignorant.
    — Plato, Symposium

Where, as I read it at least, the philosopher is explicitly one who doesn't overcome their folly, but is somewhere between the state of the Gods who know wisdom and the self-satisfied fools.

I don't know how to tell exactly when that's the case, though. Symposium is a mythic dialogue, and the section I'm quoting is explicit myth-making where the philosopher is compared to Love, a god birthed.

On the whole, though, it seems that others' are more inclined to pick apart my beliefs than I am, so the idea of an individual overcoming their biases isn't even necessary because the individual doesn't do that alone.
  • wonderer1
    On the whole, though, it seems that others' are more inclined to pick apart my beliefs than I am, so the idea of an individual overcoming their biases isn't even necessary because the individual doesn't do that alone.Moliere

:up:

Which seems to bring us back to psychology. :wink:
  • Fooloso4
    I wonder if we can get past these factors?Tom Storm

I think the best we can do is be aware of them. Even when we examine our beliefs we cannot do so by stepping outside of them. Philosophical dialogue can help, but we often tend to defend our beliefs because they are our own rather then test them to allow them to stand or fall based on the strength of the argument. Easier said than done.

I too am suspicious of the idea of the Transcendentalist's "genius". It easily becomes pernicious self-flattery.
  • Jafar

Thanks, I'm enjoying it a lot.

What do you understand under the term Transcendentalist "genius?"
  • T Clark
    The Emerson doesn’t do it for me, I’m afraid. Too cryptic. Many of the people I have known who championed introspection have been breathtakingly arrogant and appear to lack self-knowledge. (I don’t think you’re one of those.)

I question the extent to which we are capable of examining our own beliefs - our cognitive biases and our unconscious processes might well be unassailable.
    Tom Storm

Not to be flip, but that's what philosophy is for. For me, philosophy is about self-awareness - paying attention to how we think. If we are not capable of examining our beliefs, biases, and mental processes, then philosophy is useless, pointless.
  • T Clark
    I think he signifies the importance of one's own authenticity in thinking and at least for me this is a huge part of why I enjoy philosophy and like learning about it.Jafar

I agree. For me, philosophy is there to help us listen to and recognize the voice inside.
  • Tom Storm
    I think the best we can do is be aware of them. Even when we examine our beliefs, we cannot do so by stepping outside of them. Philosophical dialogue can help, but we often tend to defend our beliefs because they are our own rather then test them to allow them to stand or fall based on the strength of the argument. Easier said than done.Fooloso4

Thank you. Nice to read I'm not the only one with this view.

On the whole, though, it seems that others' are more inclined to pick apart my beliefs than I am, so the idea of an individual overcoming their biases isn't even necessary because the individual doesn't do that alone.Moliere

Agree, but it only works if you have access to others with whom you are in dialogue. I suspect most people's beliefs go unchallenged, probably because we tend to stay in our tribes.
  • Fooloso4
    What do you understand under the term Transcendentalist "genius?"Jafar

The term 'genius' as used by the Transcendentalist Emerson. As expressed in the passage from Emerson quoted by T Clark:

To believe your own thought, to believe that what is true for you in your private heart, is true for all men-that is genius.

It seems to me to be an odd mix of individualism and universalism. An overestimation of the reliability of intuition.
  • wonderer1
    It seems to me to be an odd mix of individualism and universalism. An overestimation of the reliability of intuition.Fooloso4

:up:
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.