• BitconnectCarlos
    You mean all those non-combatants you displaced and then stole their houses and land?Benkei

Oh please. From those towns they attacked Israel. So Israel goes in, Arabs flee, lose war, and then want it all back like the attempt at annihilation never happened and they can try again later. Sorry, but they lost and that has a consequence. Just curious, is there a precedent for a group going on the offensive, losing the resulting conflict, and then the defender just offering them their land back out of the goodness of their heart or a sense of fairness?
  • frank

Israel massacred 14000 children. Is this a permanent stain on the soul of Israel? Or Judaism?

Probably Israel.
  • Benkei
    Probably both. It's the Zionist agenda causing this, which is a Jewish thing.
  • Benkei
    Except of course the Jews went on the offensive in April 1948 with the specific aim to claim territory (Dalet plan), which aim was already illegal decades before that. It remains interesting that aggressors and oppressors keep pretending they're victims. How dare the oppressed demands justice, or worse, actually fight back!
  • frank
    Probably both. It's the Zionist agenda causing this, which is a Jewish thing.Benkei

It's just that Judaism is this ancient living thing, made up of generations and generations of mothers and fathers who loved their own children, of grandmothers and grandfathers who blessed life. This is a religion that says this about God:

Your love, Lord, reaches to the heavens,
    your faithfulness to the skies.
    Your righteousness is like the highest mountains,
    your justice like the great deep.
    — Psalms 36:5

It's hard to see how the behavior of Israel expresses the truth about Judaism.
  • BitconnectCarlos
    It remains interesting that aggressors and oppressors keep pretending they're victims.Benkei

Yes, like the Arabs who started the independence war by attacking Israel immediately after it declared statehood and then cry about nakhba day. Sorry they failed in their annihilation attempt. So sad.

You're not going to find sympathy from me, sorry. The Middle East is a jungle and nations come and go. You're welcome to come to the Middle East and practice all the teachings of Jesus - loving your enemy, turning the other cheek, taking zero steps to secure your own existence (seizing enemy territory used to attack you? unfathomable!) and then you can be the moral one. Doesn't that sound wonderful? Or is it easier to judge from afar where one has no skin in the game and envision how a perfectly moral actor would behave and then consider how Israel falls short of that standard?

And remember to only judge Israel. There is to be no pressure on the Arabs to grant right of return to the millions of expelled Jews. I understand that you think suicide is the moral option for Israel. The weak and dead can do no wrong.
  • BitconnectCarlos

Hamas uses child soldiers.
  • frank
    Hamas uses child soldiersBitconnectCarlos

Is that supposed to be an excuse for killing 14,000 children?
  • BitconnectCarlos

How many of those are Hamas?
  • frank
    How many of those are Hamas?BitconnectCarlos

• BitconnectCarlos

A bullet is a bullet whether it is fired by a 16 year old or a 30 year old.
  • frank
    A bullet is a bullet whether it is fired by a 16 year old or a 30 year old.BitconnectCarlos

• BitconnectCarlos

It is estimated 250,000 German children died in the Second World War. What's your excuse for that? How can you stomach that?
  • frank
    It is estimated 250,000 German children died in the Second World War. What's your excuse for that? How can you stomach that?BitconnectCarlos

Killing civilians is wrong.
  • BitconnectCarlos

It is wrong to intentionally kill civilians.
  • frank
    It is wrong to intentionally kill civilians.BitconnectCarlos

Israel has intentionally killed civilians. You know that.
  • BitconnectCarlos

In targeting Hamas, civilians may die. Hamas operates from within civilian areas.

Gaza Ministry of Health makes zero distinction between civilians and Hamas. All we have is a number.
  • frank
    In targeting Hamas, civilians may die. Hamas operates from within civilian areas.

Gaza Ministry of Health makes zero distinction between civilians and Hamas. All we have is a number.
    BitconnectCarlos

You see, the German government also believed that killing Jews was necessary for their survival. All the long list of governments who targeted Jews thought they had good reasons. I think one day you'll understand this. You're just too angry right now.
  • BitconnectCarlos
    I'm not angry.

I maintain that Israel does not intentionally murder civilians. But if Israel insisted on zero civilian deaths ever, Hamas could just fight with babies strapped to them and they could be invincible. Hamas has been seen fighting behind little old ladies with walkers.
  • frank
    I'm not angry.BitconnectCarlos

Yes you are.
  • BitconnectCarlos

Why do you think I'm mad?
  • frank
    Why do you think I'm mad?BitconnectCarlos

I can tell.
  • Mikie
    I maintain that Israel does not intentionally murder civilians.BitconnectCarlos

Yeah, because it isn’t obvious that bombing schools and hospitals and shelters — because “Hamas is there” — will result in civilian deaths.

Likud has unintentionally killed 300 thousand people.

“When they do it, it’s terrorism. When we do it, it’s counter-terrorism.” How tiresome.
  • BitconnectCarlos

So would you not attack a hospital that an enemy is firing out of? Is the hospital invulnerable then? What do you do? Guess we just can't go to war then. No bombing weapons factories.
  • ssu
    Can you provide evidence supporting your claim?neomac

(France24, 2018) Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has defended allowing Qatar to transfer millions of dollars to Hamas-run Gaza despite criticism from within his own government over the move aimed at restoring calm after months of unrest.

The Israeli-authorised money transfer appeared to be part of talks that would see Islamist movement Hamas end months of often violent protests along the border in exchange for Israel easing its blockade of the Gaza Strip.

Border protests have been much calmer the last two Fridays, the day they usually peak.

Netanyahu's remarks late Saturday were his first on the issue since Israel allowed the money transfer to the enclave controlled by Hamas, which Israel, the United States and European Union consider a terrorist movement.
    see here

See also

Netanyahu: Money to Hamas part of strategy to keep Palestinians divided

For years, Netanyahu propped up Hamas. Now it’s blown up in our faces

‘Buying Quiet’: Inside the Israeli Plan That Propped Up Hamas

A Brief History of the Netanyahu-Hamas Alliance
  • Benkei
    I don't want sympathy. You seem to misunderstand that what Jews think had become irrelevant. It's about what the rest think and what happens when finally support for the thieving murderers of Israel stops. That useful idiots will defend it until the end of the earth is irrelevant. That others see you have no argument is enough. What we're seeing is the beginning of the end of Israel and when the end is there let's all remember your reply here: "sorry, they lost".
  • Mikie
    Guess we just can't go to war then.BitconnectCarlos

Yeah, I guess nothing can be done. Genocides are inevitable.
  • BitconnectCarlos
    Yeah, I guess nothing can be done. Genocides are inevitable.Mikie

General Mikie, you still haven't answered my question. What to do about the rockets being fired from the hospital?

Some like Geert or Trump will support Israel regardless, others will oppose regardless. Other countries will support or oppose Israel based on alliances. It would be nice to gain broader support, but I wouldn't take that at the cost of severe national security compromises for Israel. I get the sense that no matter what Israel does - short of self-destruction - folks like you wouldn't support it because you just don't like the idea of a Jewish state.
  • Benkei
    Again playing victim. I have nothing against Jews in Israel. I have a lot against criminals not being brought to justice, especially where it concerns war crimes and colonisation. That some Israeli Jews abuse their Jewishness by equating sick Zionist policies with Jewishness and equating anti-zionism with anti-semitism and that you're not astute enough to tell the difference is fun but it's not going to make me stop repeating it.

Also, to apply your fantastic moral compass to all those Jews killed in ww2: "sorry, they lost!"

Maybe someday you'll start to understand what a consistent moral philosophy looks like.
  • Mikie
    What to do about the rockets being fired from the hospital?BitconnectCarlos

We have the answer: obliterate the hospital, and everyone in it. Since they’re non-human anyway, it doesn’t matter much.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.