• Metaphysician Undercover
    I agree. But what makes me wonder about how Fosse wrote the book is whether the silence is a reference to death (his parents and sister passed away and he feels alone) or the inability to say to them that he wants to go back to Norway. In this novel, the silence is a key factor and, most of the time, is confusing because even the protagonist feels scared of why his family remain in silence at the pier.javi2541997

I wouldn't see "silence" as "death" from what I've read. Silence is the language of the imagination, and imagination is very much alive. In the case of schizophrenia the boundary between what is imaginary and what is real is blurred. That means that the silent language (imagination) becomes a very real language, with actual communicative power. We all share this to some extent, and it's an essential aspect of artistry, our imaginations can communicate something very real to us, and we transform this into artistic expression.

I believe the fundamental issue here is the way that you relate to "silence". There's two sides to this silence, the silence of the described scene (Fosse's silence), and the silence of the reader. Remember, silence is used by Fosse as a tool, to provoke the imagination of the reader. I believe Fosse would have intentionally left a blank (silence) concerning key aspects of Lars' family relations. From what I understand family relations can play a key role in the development of schizophrenia, and Fosse was probably not in a position to adequately understand those relations, so he would leave that to the imagination of the reader.

I would say that the family remaining in silence at the pier would be an implication of Lars' inability to communicate directly with them, expressing that much of his communication with them was through his imagination. This would indicate that them being dead is sort of irrelevant because he always communicated with them through his imagination anyway. Perhaps its a demonstration that they never provided for him the words that he needed from them. And this is what allows him to continue to communicate with them at the pier, regardless of them being dead.
  • javi2541997
    There's two sides to this silence, the silence of the described scene (Fosse's silence), and the silence of the reader. Remember, silence is used by Fosse as a tool, to provoke the imagination of the reader.Metaphysician Undercover

It is very difficult to put in work my imagination in this novel by Fosse. The first book I read about him, silence was also an important factor in the plot, and the characters were more direct in the few dialogues they had. But in this story, Lars Hertervig is a person with schizophrenia. There are two classes of Lars: the one who communicates with the rest of the cast, and the other who speaks alone in his mind. The reader can find out both, but when the second version of Lars appears, most of the characters consider them as crazy.

I wanted to wait one more day. I am now on the 188th page. Hertervig is in Norway again. This is time is inmate in an asylum, and he suffers from sexual delirium.

Although it seems that he has been in Norway for two years, his family haven't shown up yet in the new chapter.

I will keep waiting. The final end of the first chapter ends walking in silence alone in the street of Düsseldorf, but having a tumultuous mental breakdown and shouting at his inner self. Where is Elizabeth? The name of his sister...

I would say that the family remaining in silence at the pier would be an implication of Lars' inability to communicate directly with themMetaphysician Undercover

Probably. What would disappoint me and would make me feel very sad is if everything was imagined by Lars. Remember he has mental disorders, and I can't really trust every silence of him and his family. I don't even know if they are alive yet... let's see in the following pages.
12345Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.