• Agree-to-Disagree
    I mean, there's only elderly people in the halls of power anyway, it would be like doing a cage fight with the residents of an elderly home. Just pile dive those suckers and move into positions that take the power away from these old farts.Christoffer

We've tried the friendly educational method for decades. They only become triggered and hostile like it's their privilege to be taken seriously, regardless of how utterly uneducated and downright stupid their ideas are.Christoffer

How dare they !!!

How dare the older people who are more mature and have more life experience disobey the younger people who are more immature and have less life experience.

It is appalling. How dare they !!!
  • Mikie
    The issue is the negative attitude that many climate activists have toward people.

Sorry, but I just have to highlight how incredibly ignorant, judgmental, and immoral this comment is as well. Now that’s in keeping from a posturing, sanctimonious hypocrite who feels entitled to lecture everyone about their appearance while their own approach is being rude, shallow, contemptuous, and instigating — so no surprise there.

But it’s also a common line on conservative propaganda outlets — one of their many ways to undermine the consensus and overwhelming evidence, delay political and social action, and foster hostility (we see this especially in the vitriol aimed at Greta Thunberg) within the environmental movement. How sad.
  • Mikie
    more mature and have more life experienceAgree-to-Disagree

Yeah, like you for example. Plenty of age and life experience. And yet you’re one of the most ignorant about climate change on this thread and have made no efforts to learn about it, apparently contented with your own unique denialism.

Talk about crappy role modeling. If you’re any kind of representation, it’s no wonder kids have no respect. Ignorance and denial isn’t respectable.
  • Agree-to-Disagree
    They only become triggered and hostile like it's their privilege to be taken seriously, regardless of how utterly uneducated and downright stupid their ideas are.Christoffer

Oh the irony. It burns. It burns.

t6hx3qtpt5r2ggqx.png
  • Mikie

If you and others really have nothing to offer this thread but nonsense like this and slogans from Tucker Carlson, why not simply find another hobby?
  • Agree-to-Disagree
    more mature and have more life experience
    — Agree-to-Disagree

Yeah, like you for example. Plenty of age and life experience. And yet you’re one of the most ignorant about climate change on this thread and have made no efforts to learn about it, apparently contented with your own unique denialism.
    Mikie

If you and others really have nothing to offer this thread but nonsense like this and slogans from Tucker Carlson, why not simply find another hobby?Mikie

I assume that your opinion about me is due to your own ignorance. I have researched global warming extensively. Here are a few of the many graphs that I have made. How many graphs like these have you made?

s40is6lto0xe7mdp.png

zzpd266fqb572qyl.png

6tblx9nxlx60x58n.png

sl4sj6ypmwpj729o.png

b9dbj3mat2lpzwgu.png

oxl9ayrlkh27ki4p.png

y74hxeenfj4nacsp.png
  • Mikie
    I have researched global warming extensively. Here are a few of the many graphs that I have made. How many graphs like these have you made?Agree-to-Disagree

And this is the level of discourse climate deniers engage in, folks.

And for the record, I’ve made many graphs in my life. Congratulations on figuring out how Google Charts works, and to your series of useless graphs.
  • jgill
    And this is the level of discourse climate deniers engage in, folksMikie

But there are legitimate skeptics who have problems with some of the particulars, who are not backwood numbskulls. As perhaps the only actual ex-meteorologist (USAF, U of Chicago) on TPF (others?) I am not convinced the world population is capable of averting some of the unpleasant consequences of climate change. Possibly, if we had started many years ago, but at present nations had best do their work to prepare for what will come. But I might be proven wrong.

It doesn't help to castigate a large portion of society over and over, no matter how good it may make one feel.
  • Agree-to-Disagree
    And this is the level of discourse climate deniers engage in, folks.Mikie

I am surprised that you call me a denier. None of the graphs that I posted conflict with the fact that global warming is happening. A few of the graphs even mention global warming.

You seem to think that temperature anomalies tell the whole story about global warming. You seem incapable of understanding that actual temperatures are also part of the story about global warming.

I suggest that you have a look at this website https://weatherspark.com
    to improve your understanding of world temperatures. You can see actual historical hourly temperatures for entire years. For example, for London you can look back as far as 1949.

I don't believe that you will look at this website. You won't look at anything which might make you think for yourself. It is much easier to be a parrot for the IPCC. That doesn't require any thinking.
  • unenlightened
    It doesn't help to castigate a large portion of societyjgill

That is very true, and appropriate to this and many other threads too: Ukraine, Palestine. Trump...

Stilt would be nice to have a chat about the consequences of the ongoing mass extinction event we have triggered. But it does get tiresome when one can never get beyond "What? You think we have triggered a mass extinction event ? You must be a conspiracy theorist."

Mikie has been at this for over 100 pages and 3 years now, just in this thread; some irritation is to be expected, when one cannot get beyond the frigging title of the thread.

Here are a few consequences I envisage.

• Mass (human) migrations, generally away from the Equator, and in practice mainly Northwards
    • Environmental disruption, because vegetation cannot migrate as fast as fauna and disease.
    • Sea-level rise will have a dual effect, decreasing the amount of convenient fertile floodplain arable land available to feed humans, and flooding major coastal cities adding to the migrants.
    • Conflicts will ensue over the fertile lands remaining, and the dwindling housing stock and fresh water supply.
    • Increasing xenophobia decreasing prosperity, less democracy, more violent dictatorship, rampant corruption, governmental collapse.
    • A population crash.

Perceptive readers may have noticed some of these beginning to happen, but if you haven't, don't worry, you soon will. It's only just begun.
  • Agree-to-Disagree
    Mikie has been at this for over 100 pages and 3 years now, just in this thread; some irritation is to be expected, when one cannot get beyond the frigging title of the thread.unenlightened

After being at this for over 100 pages and 3 years now, why hasn't Mikie realized that he is doing things the wrong way?

Is Mikie wrong, or is everybody else wrong?

Mikie should heed some useful advice, "when in a hole, stop digging".
  • unenlightened
    Is Mikie wrong, or is everybody else wrong?Agree-to-Disagree

You are wrong.
  • Agree-to-Disagree
    Congratulations on figuring out how Google Charts works, and to your series of useless graphs.Mikie

Look at what the graphs are showing, not the way that they were made.

By the way, the were not made using Google Charts.
  • Mikie
    You seem to thinkAgree-to-Disagree

You seem incapable of understandingAgree-to-Disagree

After making a fool of yourself repeatedly whenever you’ve made empirical claims, whether about temperature anomalies or land use for cattle, your perception of others’ abilities to think or understand is worthless.
  • Agree-to-Disagree
    your perception of others’ abilities to think or understand is worthless.Mikie

Oh the irony. It burns. It burns.

t6hx3qtpt5r2ggqx.png
  • Mikie
    Is Mikie wrong, or is everybody else wrong?
    — Agree-to-Disagree

You are wrong.
    unenlightened

“Everybody else.” Lol
  • unenlightened
    Yeah, and when did you stop beating your wife?
  • unenlightened
    Importantly, cold-related death decreased 0.51 per cent from 2000 to 2019, while heat-related death increased 0.21 per cent, leading to a reduction in net mortality due to cold and hot temperatures.
    https://www.monash.edu/medicine/news/latest/2021-articles/worlds-largest-study-of-global-climate-related-mortality-links-5-million-deaths-a-year-to-abnormal-temperatures

To save the sceptics from the necessity of actual reading, I quote above the good news.

However, both the good news and the bad news indicate global warming. and the study does not include extreme event mortality other than temperature, eg extra wind, drought, flood, etc.
  • jorndoe
    Odd. Part of the wellness industry has spotted climate change.

Wellness influencers fueled pandemic misinformation. Now they have another big conspiracy in their sights
    — Laura Paddison · CNN · Feb 4, 2024
    Meta, which owns Instagram, declined to comment. The company has policies to counter misinformation, including international teams of fact checkers which evaluate climate science content.

... and then censorship, free speech, suppression ... the usual. When such folk were chasing lizards and aliens in the desert, they might actually come across something interesting (by coincidence). :up: This seems a bit different though, no particular independent "Go look". Also exploitable by others.
  • Christoffer
    Sabine does a good job of calmly saying "get your fucking shit together". But unfortunately nothing will happen until the people in power and industries around the globe start to see their resources dwindle or when people had enough of floodings and heat waves and start removing these powerful people by force.

Regular people will continue to not want to change, until the world changes so much that they simply have to.
  • Fire Ologist
    "Who are you to choose which mass extinction event is good and which is bad? How dare you fight climate change! How dare you!" Said the three billion year old fungus.
  • unenlightened
    Said the three billion year old fungus.Fire Ologist

Come back and say that when you have extinguished your self, o aged fungus.
  • Benkei
    Did anyone ever wonder why they changed their brand from "global warming" to "climate change"?Tzeentch

It will be global climate catastrophy in a couple of decades.
  • Agree-to-Disagree
    Did anyone ever wonder why they changed their brand from "global warming" to "climate change"?
    — Tzeentch

It will be global climate catastrophy in a couple of decades.
    Benkei

What about "global boiling"?

‘Era of global boiling has arrived,’ says UN chief as July set to be hottest month on recordThe Guardian
  • baker
    Fundamentally, there's no time to massage these truths into their brains. There's really literally no time to do so. Globally we need to run them over and change the course of how society operates, it's that dire of a situation.

The time to friendly massage people into understanding is over, it's either shut up and sit down while the grown ups fix things, or let things collapse until people beg for changes.
    Christoffer
    You're inconsistent.

This is the choice of that defines the coming decades of the world.
    What choice, if you plan to "run them over"?
  • baker
    If only Malcolm X had been nicer. If he really cared, he wouldn’t have been so cynical and hurt so many peoples delicate feelings— those poor victims.Mikie
    You're missing the point. The point is that your method is ineffective. Which you then simply excuse and blame others.

To each his own though.Mikie
    And thus you annull your climate activism efforts.

The issue is the negative attitude that many climate activists have toward people.

Sorry, but I just have to highlight how incredibly ignorant, judgmental, and immoral this comment is as well. Now that’s in keeping from a posturing, sanctimonious hypocrite who feels entitled to lecture everyone about their appearance while their own approach is being rude, shallow, contemptuous, and instigating — so no surprise there.

But it’s also a common line on conservative propaganda outlets — one of their many ways to undermine the consensus and overwhelming evidence, delay political and social action, and foster hostility (we see this especially in the vitriol aimed at Greta Thunberg) within the environmental movement. How sad.
    Mikie
    It's extremely offensive the way you assign to people stances they don't hold and then castigate them for them.
  • baker
    It doesn't help to castigate a large portion of society over and over, no matter how good it may make one feel.jgill
    Which is what so much climate activism really seems to be all about: activists feeling good about themselves.

I actually yet have to meet a climate activist who doesn't give the impression that he/she doesn't actually care about the planet and who doesn't give the impression that he/she doesn't actually care about people. A climate activist who doesn't give the impression that all he/she really cares about is himself/herself.
  • Mikie
    It's extremely offensive the way you assign to people stances they don't hold and then castigate them for them.baker

You do the exact same thing, and have been doing so for years. When you acknowledge your own hypocrisy, others will take your feedback better.

Now if you have nothing to say about climate change, run along. This thread isn’t about feelings.
  • AmadeusD
    [
    I actually yet have to meet a climate activist who doesn't give the impression that he/she doesn't actually care about the planet and who doesn't give the impression that he/she doesn't actually care about people. A climate activist who doesn't give the impression that all he/she really cares about is himself/herself.baker

I've met plenty. On avg (wrt my mental states), i side with climate activists at-base. The world is cool, and not ruining it seems like a good idea - and 'acting as if' climate change is happening certain seems the prudent route, whether you're a hard-liner or not.
    That said, Mikie is the epitome of the obnoxious, over-emotional, can't-handle-a conversation type of activist who would be happy to torpedo anything in his life to ensure he gets to insult those who disagree with him adequately.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.