• TheMadFool
    To the extent I'm aware, Philosophy is acutely concerned about meaning. Without definitions being crisp and clear progress in thought would be impossible. One could say that a major setback in some philosophical branches is the lack of good definitions.

It's advised that defining, giving meaning to words, follow some accepted guidelines, some of which are:

1. Focus on the essentials
    2. Be clear - avoid ambiguity, vagueness, metaphor, obscurity
    3. Don't define in negatives when it's possible to be positive
    4. Don't make definitions too broad or too narrow
    5. Avoid circularity

Given we have to meet the criteria of a good definition above,

What is the definition of ''definition''? Or
    What is the meaning of ''meaning''?

I'm no linguist but the question seems problematic, since any attempt to define ''definition'' violates criteria 4 i.e. avoid circularity.

How does philosophy solve this problem?

This is a paradox because we have to know the meaning of ''meaning'' before we can assign it meaning.
  • A Son of Rosenthal
    'Meaning' is defined as sense of linguistic expressions. 'Definition' is defined as a sentence giving a meaning to linguistic expressions.
  • TheMadFool
    But that's a circular definition: ''sense'' and ''meaning'' are defined in terms of, well, meaning.
  • A Son of Rosenthal
    The meaning of 'all dogs are animals' is 'for every x, if x is a dog, then x is an animal.' The meaning of 'meaning' is 'sense of linguistic expressions'. I see no circularity here.
  • TheMadFool
    What is the meaning of the word ''sense''?
  • A Son of Rosenthal
    The meaning of the word 'sense' is 'intension of linguistic expressions'. The meaning of the word 'intension' is 'what linguistic expressions mean'.
  • A Son of Rosenthal
    It seems to be circular, but there's no trouble here. The form of 'definition of x' or 'meaning of x' is perfectly rational. We should distinguish definition from 'definition' (or meaning from 'meaning'). Definition is in the form 'definition of x' and 'definition' is the value of x in the form 'definition of x' (also the same as meaning and 'meaning').
  • TheMadFool

1. While defining a word we use the structure ''x means y'' where x is the definiendum and y is the definiens

2. To understand 1, we have to know the meaning of ''means''.

3. So, as per the structure given in 1, we have to say: ''means'' means <insert definition>''

3 is obviously impossible because we're using a word, ''means'', without knowing its meaning.
  • A Son of Rosenthal
    There are lots of research results about 'means' in philosophical history. For example, Davidson interprets 'means' as 'is true'. So, Davidson suggests that 's means p' should be understood as 's is true if and only if p'. There are various attempts.
    In your case, 'means' is a predicate. It's like other general predicates such as 'walk', 'have', 'hit', and so on. 'x means y' can be understood as ''x means y' is a two-place predicates'. Or 'x and y are in relation of 'means''. If you don't have a problem of 'x hits y', then you can accept easily 'x means y'.
  • Gooseone
    This is a paradox because we have to know the meaning of ''meaning'' before we can assign it meaning.TheMadFool

You have to know what knowing is first.

5. Avoid circularityTheMadFool
  • TheMadFool
    Yes, however, I can only know what knowing means if I know what ''mean'' means.
  • Streetlight
    As if meaning is a purely epistemic issue...
  • Gooseone

How do you know that?
  • TheMadFool
    By not knowing the meaning of ''meaning'' I don't know what either ''know'' or ''mean'' means:P
  • Gooseone

Hej! No circularity! ;)
  • Gooseone
    But srsly, isn't knowing a bit like being able to value sensory inputs as functional information?
    (I'm aware I'm already presupposing on a lot of metaphysical issues here, I'll consider myself a pragmatist)

So to know what something means is to know what something is about.
  • TheMadFool

Here's what I think.

I don't know the history of language and how it evolved but to make an educated guess...

I think language evolved in very basic terms and that, to me, means giving names to physical objects like water, wind, sun, etc. In this basic sense of ''meaning'' is the idea of equality. People were simply ''naming'' things. From there, we can take a step forward and say ''definitions'' are, in essence, naming albeit in a sophisticated manner.

What say you?
  • TheMadFool
    :(

What's your theory then?
  • A Son of Rosenthal
    Meaning is not equality. According to your theory, meaning is a kind of naming things, but it is not the case that naming things itself is equality. According to many others, meaning is not the same as equality.
  • Michael
    This is a paradox because we have to know the meaning of ''meaning'' before we can assign it meaning.TheMadFool

How is it a paradox? Even though our attempts to describe the meaning of "meaning" may be circular, this isn't how we first learn a language. Definitions only work if we already know the meaning of certain words, and so we must learn the meaning of these initial words another way.
  • TheMadFool
    In my defense...

X means Y establishes an equality for the simple reason that, in a sentence, substituting one word with its definition shouldn't change the meaning of the sentence e.g.

1) There was ice on the road

2) There was frozen water on the road

So, definition is a means of stipulating an equality between words/phrases. This is what I mean.

In this reading we can make sense of ''means'' as establishing/attempting to establish an equality.
  • TheMadFool
    How is it a paradox? Even though our attempts to describe the meaning of "meaning" may be circular, this isn't how we first learn a language. Definitions only work if we already know the meaning of certain words, and so we must learn the meaning of these initial words another wayMichael

To know the meaning of any word, first we must know the meaning of ''meaning'' and that can't be done without resorting to a circular definition. Try it:

The meaning of ''meaning'' is <insert your definition>.
  • Michael
    To know the meaning of any word, first we must know the meaning of ''meaning'' and that can't be done without resorting to a circular definition. Try it:

The meaning of ''meaning'' is <insert your definition>.
    TheMadFool

Did you even read what I wrote? I'll repeat it for you:

Even though our attempts to describe the meaning of "meaning" may be circular, this isn't how we first learn a language. Definitions only work if we already know the meaning of certain words, and so we must learn the meaning of these initial words another way.
  • TheMadFool
    I read the link. It describes how language functions but it doesn't really explain/solve the issue I raised
  • Streetlight
    The problem you posed isn't one.
  • TheMadFool
    Yes, if you read my discussion with other posters, I have described a simple process by which we gain understanding of what ''mean'' means.

I'm no linguist but allow me to hazard a guess...

It all began with naming physical objects, e.g. the sound wa-ter is the name of the stuff one drinks, etc. In naming we draw an equality between the sound/word and the object it refers to. Therefrom it's relatively easy to understand the meaning of ''meaning''. It's simply an equivalence and we may say, when defining, such and such is such and such.
  • A Son of Rosenthal
    What you defend is merely synonymity. Synonymity is the sameness between expressions. However, meaning is not explained in that way. Meaning is broader than synonymity. Synonymity is one among which meaning includes.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.