• boagie

Wow! You are so incrediably out of touch. The BRICS is a very powerful movement, challenging the America dollar, and has set up it own currency. Seven more countries just join the BRICS on January first. America has been making economic warfare on Russia for quite some time, to no avail, they were ready for it, and their economy is doing better than that of the States. There is a global shift in power occurring and America is not a happy camper. The world is trying to move away from America as a unipolar power to that of a multipolar world. It is the colonial West against its former colonies and those it otherwise wishes to subjugate. Does nobody here no what is going on? No wonder I hit a brick wall. As I stated, there are about six or seven new members as of January 1st, and a very long list of those who wish to join. So, best catch up on the global news! Oh wait, Yanks still believe they have a free press, I am thinking there may be a very good reason American citizens are not in the loop. America the beautiful ----lol!!
  • boagie

Ok, maybe I am not that articulate, just curious, do you know what the BRICS is? Do you know that there is a global shift of power going on. This shifting power makes America a very unhappy camper. I was just replying to someone else here, who had no idea what was happening. Is that the common experience here? The BRICS is a very powerful movement and challenging the America dollar with a currency of their own. This movement is growing, six to seven new member countries joined on January 1, and there is a long list of countries waiting to join. Just wondering if this is common here, I mean not knowing what is going on. If so, little wonder I hit a brick wall, no pun intended. -- lol!
  • Lionino
    BRICS has no common coin. Brazil keeps using the real, China the yuan etc. You are clearly an insane person — seek help.
  • jorndoe
    , hmm well ok, no response to my response to your comments before. Should those comments of yours be disregarded then?

Cheering on BRICS as if they were Manchester United instead eh... :) I guess you could fire up a new thread.
  • Tzeentch
    I think it's quite clear that the BRICS is the center of a markedly anti-US economic coalition, and that some of the more influential countries inside BRICS are working together geopolitically to pressure the US in other areas, including military.

Of course, these countries have interests tying into the US to various degrees, which is why some of them are more careful than others.

In the end, nations acting independently is already a threat to the US-led global system (or what's left of it), which is what countries like Brazil and India are doing.

It is no coincidence in my view that we see dangerous flashpoints popping up all over the world, all of which are tied to BRICS nations.

The Ukraine war was the catalyst, then came the 7th October attack and the ensuing Gaza war plausibly orchestrated by Iran. The Houthi rebels attacking shipping in the Red Sea (a major development, by the way), which are also backed by Iran.

Israel and global shipping - two major US weaknesses.

Now we have North Korea stating that they believe war between North and South Korea is inevitable (after a period of relative stability between the two nations) and China emphasizing reunification.

This is a coordinated strategy of systemic pressure. And it seems to me the current US administration has absolutely no idea how to deal with it.

Russia has taken a lead role, because escalation between Russia and Europe is very unlikely, whereas escalation in the Middle-East or the South China Sea is way more of a risk and no country wants to end up in a full-scale war with the US.
  • Changeling

Let the fragmentation persist...
  • ssu
    Ok, maybe I am not that articulate, just curious, do you know what the BRICS is?boagie
    FYI, here's a video of Chinese and Indian border guards having a fight. Border skirmishes between the two aren't ancient history.

And about that being so anti-US, just from last year, US-Indian joint military exercises:

The reality is that just like the Quad, BRICS is far more a discussion group than an actual treaty organization. At least India is quite comfortable in being non-aligned, and being non-aligned means it doesn't take sides! The US would hope so, but the country simple wants to waltz with both China and the US. As do the majority of other Asian countries.

And now as BRICS has Saudi-Arabia, UAE, Egypt (and Ethiopia) as it's new members, it's obvious that these countries (except Ethiopia) are seen as allies of the US.

Hence the idea of BRICS being against the US is not simply true. The World isn't so black and white.
  • Changeling
    it's obvious that these countries (except Ethiopia) are seen as allies of the US.ssu

Ethiopia is quite closely allied to the US
  • ssu
    Ethiopia is quite closely allied to the USChangeling
    Yet not as Egypt, Saudi-Arabia and UAE. Ethiopia (a) doesn't have US bases or US troops in the country and (b) doesn't have Western / US equipment as it's combat aircraft, tanks and artillery are basically of Russian/Soviet origin. The US does provide a lot of aid, but that is mainly humanitarian aid, not like in the case of Egypt military aid.

I think the US-Ethiopian relationship could be seen to be as 'friendly' and 'warm', but this country isn't such an essential player as Egypt or Saudi-Arabia to the US.
  • Tzeentch
    And now as BRICS has Saudi-Arabia, UAE, Egypt (and Ethiopia) as it's new members, it's obvious that these countries (except Ethiopia) are seen as allies of the US.ssu

I think their becoming a part of BRICS indicaters that they're not US-aligned any longer. They were never allied to the US to begin with, but I assume 'aligned' is what you meant.

What unites all BRICS countries is their effort to shake off the yoke of the US-led financial system.

As you correctly point out, this doesn't mean that they all take an overtly hostile stance towards the US. It is not an anti-US military alliance. It's an anti-US (Dollar) economic bloc.

However, at the same time it's clear that multiple countries within BRICS (Russia, China and Iran most notably) are working together geopolitically and militarily to pressure the US.

In other words, I think you're downplaying its importance.
  • Echarmion
    What unites all BRICS countries is their effort to shake off the yoke of the US-led financial system.Tzeentch

Efforts like that have been tried several times before though. Sure eventually something will likely replace the US dollar. For now it seems to have been simply (another) announcement at their recent summit that they're planning - in some indefinitie future - to have a dollar alternative.

The economic incentive right now is just not there. Too much trade is still bound up with the US. And the BRICS countries seem pretty far from agreeing to a mutual standard. And the unanswered question is, given the differences between the BRICS countries, who will control the new standard?
  • ssu
    I think their becoming a part of BRICS indicaters that they're not US-aligned any longer. They were never allied to the US to begin with, but I assume 'aligned' is what you meant.Tzeentch
    That is incorrect, @Tzeentch

Saudi-US relationship has been quite firm. The countries do have had a defense treaty since 1951. And the US has come to the aid of Saudi-Arabia (with Operation "Desert Shield" being the most obvious example). For the US, Saudi-Arabia was a crucial part of CENTO, then the "Twin Pillars" (where the other pillar was Imperial Iran). And now still is important.

US tank among Saudi tanks in exercise "Eager Lion 2022":
    GettyImages-1243216374.jpg?h=0f4230fa&itok=jLojNqLY

BRICS, just like the QUAD or the G7 aren't defense treaty organizations.

But what has happened is that the US isn't anymore in such a leadership role it was before. The Middle East is the obvious example of this: in places like US allies have been supporting different sides. And Saudi-Arabia was even close to invading another GCC member with an US base. Imagine having NATO countries in an operation where the UK & France would support one faction and Germany, Spain & Italy the faction fighting against it? Well, in the Middle East that is quite usual... nowdays!

And this would be so quite important to people that naively think that either countries are "US puppets" or are against the US: sovereign states have quite their own agendas and the US, even if powerful, is just another actor among others.

Only if a revolution happens, the change is quick and dramatic, but the way the US loses it's allies usually doesn't blow up with a bang, but with a long whimper. (Pakistan or New Zealand are examples of this.)
  • Tzeentch
    Saudi-US relationship has been quite firm.ssu

Yet, it's been shaky of late: 'There is only so much patience one can have’: Biden appears to back off vow to punish Saudi Arabia

It's quite clear Saudi Arabia, just like countries like India and Brazil, is also shaking off the US yoke and steering a more independent course. Independence, to the US, is belligerence.
  • Tzeentch
    The economic incentive right now is just not there.Echarmion

The economic incentive is certainly there.

The Ukraine war signaled to a lot of non-western countries that their money is not safe with the US dollar financial system, expediating de-dollarization.
  • boagie

BRICS has no common currency because it is a collective, free of the America dollar, the America dollar has been used brutally to wage economic war on weaker countries. The Chinese currency is based on gold, not sure if that is true across the board. The whole idea of the BRICS movement is to move from a unitary global power/America to a multipolar world, as is happening as we speak. Think about it, all the while the States has been subjugating if not destroying other countries' economies with their economic and military might, these people have been preparing for the day they can get the American boot off their necks. Most people in this thread don't seem to have a source of information about what is happening in the here and now. Has the States banned TICK TOCK, silencing the opposition, what about American public intellectuals are they silenced as well? I mentioned that as of January 1st, seven more countries have joined the BRICS, and there is a long list of countries waiting their turn. Most people here seem utterly unaware of this. It really seems like a simplistic dialogue, Americans wearing the white hats the Russians wearing the black hats---that is frustrating! The ignorance is so overwhelming. I am going to bow out. Do you people have a press that is entirely corporate owed? Frightening!!
  • neomac
    Think about it, all the while the States has been subjugating if not destroying other countries' economies with their economic and military might,boagie

Exactly the opposite is true. China and Russia economies could grow the way they did after the cold war thanks to the American-led globalization. This wealth boosted their military expenditures as much as their economic-military projection abroad.
  • boagie

The world is moving to a multipolar world, removing the American boot from their necks, soon it will become obvious to you as well.
  • neomac
    The world is moving to a multipolar world, removing the America boot from their necks, soon it well become obvious to you as well.boagie

I have no idea why you are so excited about it. "Multipolar world" means that the world is gonna be more peaceful, more equitable, more democratic?
  • boagie

Yes, because America is a pig, more powerful than the Third Reich ever dreamt of being, and the world is tired of America's abuse. America and Europe still have a colonial mentality, and America is rat shit crazy to dominate. Today is wakeup time, the world is changing.
  • boagie

Think! Why are not these nations of the East ever so grateful? America is so caring, they just want everyone to be free, don't they? Even your own history used to indoctrinate is a fanciful mythology. America needs to become a civil global citizen; the rest of the world knows you are not.
  • Echarmion
    The economic incentive is certainly there.

The Ukraine war signaled to a lot of non-western countries that their money is not safe with the US dollar financial system, expediating de-dollarization.
    Tzeentch

But hasn't the war - or rather the sanctions - also shown that the importance of that depends on your economic enmeshment with the US?

It seems to me that de-dollarization has a hen-and-egg problem. The more you export to the US, the more USD you hold and the more vulnerable you are to devaluation or straight up freezing of assets. But at the same time the less room to maneuver you have for de-dollarization.

I do think the USD will be replaced eventually, as the relative economic importance of the US declines. Maybe not in this decade though. Of course if the US political system continues to unravel, we might see a more precipitous drop.
  • boagie
    [reply="Lionino;868368"
    RIGHT, and seven more countries just joined the BRICS fraud January 1, with a long list of countries waiting their turn. Wake up to your own propaganda.
  • boagie

Is there no free press in your country? Public intellectuals? Do you hear anything of what the rest of the world says, the global community? It is rather obvious in this thread the party line is being towed. There is America and the bad guys---- good grief!!
  • boagie

What was your question or objection?
  • boagie

What 'a f++king dreamer!
  • Jabberwock
    Yes, the link confirms what I have already told you: you were wrong. You have no knowledge of the issues you try to discuss, only vague ideas you picked up from the Internet. And I have already said that the US is not a 'good guy' by any measure. That does not make Russia automatically good.
  • Tzeentch
    But hasn't the war - or rather the sanctions - also shown that the importance of that depends on your economic enmeshment with the US?

It seems to me that de-dollarization has a hen-and-egg problem. The more you export to the US, the more USD you hold and the more vulnerable you are to devaluation or straight up freezing of assets. But at the same time the less room to maneuver you have for de-dollarization.
    Echarmion

The problem isn't necessarily US imports and exports. It's the petrodollar, the dollar as world reserve currency, the various global financial institutions created by the US, etc.

It's essentially a system of special 'privileges' the US has created for itself during the unipolar moment, which provide it with a slew of instruments to economically pressure other nations.

This is the system much of the world is trying to subtract itself from, not in the least because the US tends to function on a "rules for thee, but not for me" basis.
  • Echarmion
    The problem isn't necessarily US imports and exports. It's the petrodollar, the dollar as world reserve currency, the various global financial institutions created by the US, etc.

It's essentially a system of special 'privileges' the US has created for itself during the unipolar moment, which provide it with a slew of instruments to economically pressure other nations.
    Tzeentch

But these systems largely don't originate from the "unipolar" phase (I.e. post 1990) but from the Cold war, mostly the 70s.

They're not simply the result of the US abusing it's "unipolar power" in some unspecified way but rather of the massive preponderance of the US economy outside the Soviet block together with political factors.

It's not like the US somehow tricked everyone into accepting their leadership role.

This is the system much of the world is trying to subtract itself from, not in the least because the US tends to function on a "rules for thee, but not for me" basis.Tzeentch

Which country doesn't? Everyone wants to be the leader and set the rules to their advantage. But noone is there yet. I see little reason to suspect India would grant China the privilege or vice versa. Neither Brasil nor Russia are serious contenders.

The Arab oil states are rather cleverly positioning themselves as a kind of global mediator, but I think it's to early to tell how this will work long term.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment