• alan1000
    Actually, moderators, you ought to move this question to metaphysics or ontology.
  • Ø implies everything
    Why would they need their own page? They could just pick any page for themselves, being solipsist(s) and all.
  • unenlightened
    There is only this page, and only I am on it.
  • Paine
    The special page exists, but nothing else does.
  • Relativist
    Only you can answer that question,since only you exist.
  • Banno

Because having a special page for solipsists (plural) would contradict solipsism. After all, there is only one.

So the question is, why isn't there a special page for the solipsist?

And the answer is, all pages are special pages for the solipsist.
  • god must be atheist
    Solipsism; is it the belief that only the self exists, or is it a belief that all that the self experiences is generated by the self? if the second one, then there is room for more than one solipsist. Independent from each other, but perfectly in line with the philosophy of solipsism.
  • god must be atheist
    The experience of the sopsist does not change or get influenced by the experiences of other solipsists. There is room for an infinite number of solipsists in any universe.
  • Quk
    If we can have multiple parallel worlds, each world for a single solipsist, then I think the idea of multi-solipsism is not paradox.

But what I find paradox is the assumption of a solipsist being able to experience the feeling of surprise. -- Who can surprise a solipsist?
  • bert1
    I have no memory of writing all this. Note to self - practise memory games.
  • god must be atheist
    There are two schools of solipsism: one says that the experiences a solipsist feels are subject to his will; the other school says that they are independent of his will. Both schools state that a solipsist's experiences are self-generated.

It does not take much self-reflection that self-generated experiences can be either willed, or haphazard.

And if they are of the haphazard kind, a solipsist can be surprised.
  • god must be atheist
    Note to self - practise memory games.bert1

I tried that... playing games. They're no fun. I always know ahead of time who the winner will be.
  • Quk
    From my point of view, an event that is caused at random outside the solipsist's will is an event that is -- tautology -- an event that is not controlled by the solipsist, hence the solipsist's claim to power sounds paradox to me and is just a sign of megalomania.

Similarly, when the solipsist forgets what events he or she generated yesterday, then I think it's OK to say he or she was a solipsist yesterday; but today it's no longer the case because those things that started yesterday now run their own processes. It's like an embryo in a mother's body; the embryo body may be the property of the mother's body, but there'll be a time when the two bodies are disconnected and the ex-embryo will go its own way even if the mother keeps thinking the new human follows her commands from yesterday, tomorrow or nowhere. Solipsism is just language. There's no substance.
    -- I may be wrong now, but I don't think so.
  • javi2541997
    Actually, moderators, you ought to move this question to metaphysics or ontology.alan1000

No. They should move this “thread” (just a question and an emoji) to The Lounge. :smile:
  • HarryHarry
    Why isn't there a special page for solipsists? — alan1000
    I found one.
    Click the "You" tab.
    Far as I can tell, only I can post there.
  • L'éléphant
    This is a funny thread.
  • Baden
    No. They should move this “thread” (just a question and an emoji) to The Lounge.javi2541997

:100:
  • Sir2u
    There should be a comedy section on the forum as well.

It would be the most used on some days. :lol:
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet