• Torus34
    It has recently been shown, rather convincingly [for me, at least,] that we cannot distinguish between living in a simulation and living in a 'real' universe.

That brings into question whether we can truly know anything at all.

Comments?
  • unenlightened
    You know nothing, but I am the Lizard King. Less of your presumptuous "we" when you dare to question yourself in public.
  • frank
    That brings into question whether we can truly know anything at all.Torus34

Cogito ergo sum.
  • DingoJones
    It has recently been shown, rather convincingly [for me, at least,] that we cannot distinguish between living in a simulation and living in a 'real' universe.Torus34

Only if the simulation is perfect and seamless. I dont think perfect is a real thing. A single flaw would be testable, repeatable and therefore detectable.
  • DingoJones

It means that “knowing” is on a spectrum, with absolute certainty at one end and no certainty at all on the other. You are using “to know” as “to be certain”, which is false.
  • Tom Storm

Comments?
    Torus34

Depends. Totalising skepticism is quite popular with students and philosophy neophytes it seems. But some level of skepticism is useful and appropriate. I don't think humans ever arrive at absolute truth or 'ultimate reality' as opposed to the truth or reality about contingent matters. We can have reasonable confidence in many things, but absolute certainty is unavailable to us. What more do you need? If we are living in the Martix, or we're a brain in a vat, we may as well enjoy/participate in the illusion. What choice do we have? :wink:
  • Vera Mont

Not knowing the ultimate nature of the universe is not the same as knowing nothing at all. You can only explore and learn about the reality in which you exist - and it's all you need to know about. Whether you live in a real universe or a simulated one makes no difference to the knowledge you gain. And it's not likely you'll ever step outside of either.
  • 180 Proof
    What grounds are there to believe "we are living in a simulation"? or, more precisely, to doubt that physical reality is more – other – than a simulation?
  • Torus34

Hi, Vera.

A nice, pragmatic response. I can see Dewey looking over your shoulder. Pragmatism is a great way to cut Gordian knots.

Regards, stay safe 'n well.
  • Torus34

Hi, 180 Proof. [Love the handle!]

The problem isn't whether it's a probable possibility but, rather, that it cannot be logically ruled out.

Regards, stay safe 'n well.
  • 180 Proof
    The problem isn't whether it's a probable possibility but, rather, that it cannot be logically ruled out.Torus34
    The "logic" may be valid but its soundness is dubious at best. An infinity of such notions "cannot be logically ruled out", but so what? Life is short, we need to sort out which of relatively few ideas are worthy of our limited time and energy to seriously consider. By all means, as I'm not aware of any nontrivial^^ grounds, please cite some for bothering to make an effort to think through "the simulation hypothesis". :chin:

^^(a distinction that makes no ontological and/or existential and/or pragmatic difference)
  • Tom Storm
    The "logic" may be valid but its soundness is dubious at best. An infinity of such notions "cannot be logically ruled out", but so what? Life is short, we need to sort out which relative few ideas are worthy of our limited time and energy to seriously consider.180 Proof

:up: Yes, that's the conclusion I came to. And yes, you point out the other salient matter here - it doesn't make any difference to the experience wherein I exist and make choices in the only reality I know.
  • RogueAI
    Do you think your consciousness and mind can be reduced to a bunch of switching actions? Can the pain of a stubbed toe emerge from flipping enough light switches on and off in some pattern? To me, these possibilities do not merit consideration, so we are not living in a simulation.
  • Astrophel
    It has recently been shown, rather convincingly [for me, at least,] that we cannot distinguish between living in a simulation and living in a 'real' universe.

Comments?
    Torus34

There is a serious question begged here: what is the litmus of knowing at all? the very concept of one standard generating conditions for deviation brings that standard into sharp relief.

But really, if you can't tell the difference between one and the other, then there is no difference, and whatever difference you place OUTSIDE of the pov in question, as with yours and my shared understanding that one is right the other wrong, it is to be called metaphysics.
  • Vera Mont
    Can the pain of a stubbed toe emerge from flipping enough light switches on and off in some pattern?RogueAI

Yes, that's pretty much how nerve impulses work.
  • Joshs
    It has recently been shown, rather convincingly [for me, at least,] that we cannot distinguish between living in a simulation and living in a 'real' universe.Torus34

We neither live in a simulation nor a ‘real’ universe, if ‘real’ here means an environment unaffected in its meaning by linguistic and material interactions among humans and between humans and that world. We co-construct the sense of the real through social interaction as well as via individual perspectival practices. The real is enacted, not passively observed.
  • RogueAI
    Yes, that's pretty much how nerve impulses work.Vera Mont

How do nerve impulses create conscious experiences?
  • 180 Proof
    :up:

How do nerve impulses create conscious experiences?RogueAI
    How are "conscious experiences" "created" without "nerve impulses"? :roll:
  • RogueAI
    How are "conscious experiences" "created" without "nerve impulses"?180 Proof

Consciousness requires nerve impulses??? No possibility of machine consciousness? No possibility that this is a simulation?
  • 180 Proof
    Consciousness requires nerve impulses???RogueAI
    At least in h. sapiens it does.

No possibility of machine consciousness?
    Non sequitur.

No possibility that this is a simulation?
    For starters, what difference would such a "possibility" make to us ontologically, existentially or pragmatically?
  • RogueAI
    At least in h. sapiens it does.180 Proof

Science has no idea how brains produce consciousness. You would think, after all this time, we would have some idea, but the theories are all over the place. Eventually, people are going to question basic assumptions, such as "matter is real" and "brains cause consciousness".

To tie this back to the OP, if there's no explanation for how our own brains make us conscious, why should we even consider the idea that consciousness can come from an entirely different substrate? Why is that even taken seriously? Aren't we getting ahead of ourselves?

"For starters, what difference would such a "possibility" make to us ontologically, existentially or pragmatically?"

If you knew for certain you were in a simulation, wouldn't you want to try and get in touch with the simulation creator?
  • 180 Proof
    Science has no idea how brains produce consciousness.RogueAI
    Not quite true (e.g. vide T. Metzinger), but even if you're right, philosophy has only fantasy (i.e. folk psychology), not even an "idea how".
  • RogueAI
    Not quite true (e.g. vide T. Metzinger), but even if you're right, philosophy has only folk fantasy (i.e. folk psychology), not even an "idea".180 Proof

I don't want to derail the thread. Just pointing out some problems with Simulation Theory. Imo, they're insurmountable, but who knows.
  • jorndoe
    A recurring theme I guess...

Does the simulation hypothesis also apply to those running the simulation?
    Elon Musk on the Simulation Hypothesis
    Could we be living in a simulation?

As thought experiments go, I think it shares a category with other ideas, where both the idea and its negation are compatible with attainable evidence.

Dream argument
    Evil demon
    Brain in a vat
    Last Thursdayism
    intangible invisible dragons

On the traditional account, we can know whatever happens to be the case.

We neither live in a simulation nor a ‘real’ universe, if ‘real’ here means an environment unaffected in its meaning by linguistic and material interactions among humans and between humans and that world. We co-construct the sense of the real through social interaction as well as via individual perspectival practices. The real is enacted, not passively observed.Joshs

And yet what you don't know can still kill you.
  • Vera Mont
    How do nerve impulses create conscious experiences?RogueAI

By communicating the sensation of a toe striking the foot of the bed all the way up the spinal cord to the brain, which then uses more nerve impulses to process that information and turn into an experience.
    The "creation" of an experience is a team effort among many neurons networking.

No possibility of machine consciousness?RogueAI

Only a very remote one. AI has not - AFAIK - exhibited toe pain.

No possibility that this is a simulation?RogueAI

If it's a simulation, there is no physical consciousness and no physical toe of which to be conscious, so no physical nerves and no electrical impulses.
    So then , whether it emerged
    from flipping enough light switches on and off in some pattern?RogueAI
    depends on whether it's a computer simulation (yes, it's off/on switches)
    or some other kind of simulation (which we don't know how it works)

If you knew for certain you were in a simulation, wouldn't you want to try and get in touch with the simulation creator?RogueAI

For my part, no. But if you did, try prayer.
  • RogueAI
    process that information and turn into an experienceVera Mont

How does the information get "turned into an experience"?
  • Vera Mont
    How does the information get "turned into an experience"?RogueAI

Do you really think the lesson on neurological function belongs here? I'm not really qualified to teach it.
    They are: https://opentextbc.ca/introductiontopsychology/chapter/4-1-we-experience-our-world-through-sensation/
  • RogueAI
    Obviously, my point is that science hasn't explained how consciousness/minds come from matter.

"Decades-long bet on consciousness ends — and it’s philosopher 1, neuroscientist 0"
    https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-023-02120-8

If science can't explain something as fundamental as our own experience, why should we think it can explain whether consciousness can arise from computers? Why should we even entertain the notion that we're living in a simulation?
  • Vera Mont
    Obviously, my point is that science hasn't explained how consciousness/minds come from matter.RogueAI

*sigh!* OK goddoneit
  • RogueAI
    *sigh!* OK goddoneitVera Mont

Pointing out materialism/physicalism's failure to explain consciousness doesn't entail "goddoneit". Mysterianism has been gaining in popularity lately.
  • unenlightened
    No one can logically rule out that I am the Lizard King and have knowledge not accessible to mere mortals.

Yet everyone does rule it out, in spite of my announcement above. Fools!

But the idea that reality is a simulation implies that there is a "higher reality" in which this simulation takes place. It is the scientific version of religious speculations about heaven and hell and eternity, etc. And has almost as much basis. The superstitions of those who think themselves immune from superstition are a wonder to behold.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.