• Vera Mont
    However there are fundamental differences that will likely influence its full ability to manifest that possibility, namely that it stands a good chance of permanence, immortality through part replacement and constant access to reliable energy sources.Benj96

IOW, God. Voltaire vindicated.
  • universeness
    I'm not so sure. The knowledge of nuclear fission lead to compassionate/productive use: nuclear power plants and malevolent/destructive use: nuclear bombs.Benj96

The A-bomb also became the start of the 'ban the bomb' movement, CND (campaign for nuclear disarmament). The test ban treaty, détente, and probably even Mikhail Gorbachev. It did as much to united people all over the world in common cause as it did to further divide people. It was a massive step forward in getting many to see the world as a single vulnerable planet ('pale blue dot,' enhanced this).
    Your "I'm not so sure," is a reasonably position to take but for me, it's a little imbalanced and it's just related to the 'half empty/half full' approach to such. I am not advocating that we must always focus on the search for silver linings in every cloud but neither should we focus on the darkness.

Having knowledge doesn't make anyone any better/more empathetic. It simply acts as a basis for further good or bad deeds.Benj96

If I begin to see that the soldiers I have been ordered to kill, have more in common with me than they have difference, then we might together, begin to understand, that it's the whims of those in power who put us both in this situation who are the real rogue's, and perhaps we should all, on both sides, throw down our guns and walk away, and refuse to do their bidding. Knowledge can be absolutely pivotal!
    If I have knowledge of how the money trick actually works then perhaps I will be much more empathetic towards those who are utterly forced to live in poverty. This should compel me to speak out against money and capitalism. My subsequent actions might be judged GOOD, if you are one of the poor or BAD if you are one of the rich, so your mention of 'good or bad deeds' above is for the judgement of the beholder.

Knowledge or power/ability is not a reflection of character of a conscious entity.Benj96

Of course it is!!! Knowledge IS power and can have an enormous affect on 'the character of' an individual. It's the difference between a total 'conscious' idiot and a 'conscious,' knowledgeable person.

This is partly the reason for a belief in a benevolent God. Because if its omnipotent/all powerful it could have just as easily destroyed the entire reality we live in or designed one to cause maximal suffering. But for those that are enjoying the state of being alive, it lends itself to the view that such a God is not so bad afterall. As they allowed the beauty of existence and all the pleasures that come with it.Benj96
    Making excuses for a god, using the argument, that it's 'not so bad,' because, although it's so called, 'recorded word,' testifies that it supports human slavery and ethnic cleansing and sending those it created (but judges flawed,) to hell (and not just for a fixed sentence or to get rehabilitated, but FOR ETERNITY!) IS rather irrational, if you ask me. KNOWING how gods are described historically and currently, surely means that any assignment, of any notion of 'benevolence,' is not enough to compensate for it's deserved accusations of supporting and performing atrocity and evil behaviour.

We design AI based on human data. So it seems natural that such a product will be similar to us as we deem success as "likeness" - in empathy, virtue, a sense of right and wrong.Benj96
    Which data are you labelling exclusively 'human.' If I program a computer with data that describes how the planets of the solar system orbit the Sun, how 'human' is the data involved?
    If an alien programmed a computer with data about how the planets in its solar system orbited its, star or stars, would that be 'alien' data? I think your logic is flawed here.

At the same time we hope it has greater potential than we do. Superiority. We hope that such superiority will be intrinsically beneficial to us. That it will serve us - furthering medicine, legal policy, tech and knowledge.Benj96

I agree, we hope that the main existential threat from a potential future ASI, will not happen and instead, the future ASI will merge with us in such a way that we are still or can still be what we consider 'human' but are transhuman rather than posthuman and we are just far more robust(far more protected against all existential threat) with very advanced functionality. I think it's worth taking the risk of developing it.

The question then is, historically speaking, have superior organisms always favoured the benefit of inferior ones? If we take ourselves as an example the answer is definitely not. At least not in a unanimous sense.Benj96
    By Darwinian, jungle style rules, no, conquering and assimilating has been the norm but the whole point of humans trying to create a 'civilisation,' is that we REJECT jungle rules as having ANY role to play. The fact that they still do, IS to the chagrin of all those millions of people who try, every day, to fight for a better world. Stay with us Ben and stop offering comfort to those who posit the benevolence of gods.

Some of us do really care about the ecosystem, about other animals, about the planet at large. But some of us are selfish and dangerous.Benj96
    So f*** them!(EDIT: the selfish and dangerous, that is!) Let's keep working hard to change their viewpoints or render them as powerless as they need to be for the sake of the future of all of us.

If we create AI like ourselves it's likely it will behave the same. I find it hard to believe we can create anything that isn't human behaving, as we are biased and vulnerable to our own selfish tendencies.Benj96
    When will you stop concentrating on where humans came from and start concentrating on what we have the potential to become?

An omnibenevolent AI would be unrecognisable to us - as flawed beings.Benj96
    I will be content with benevolent, as omnis are impossible. My hope remains that any ASI supported transhuman form is NOT posthuman. I use the term posthuman in the sense of the extinction of all traces of anything substantial that WE would be able to recognise as human.
  • Bylaw
    Supposing we design and bring to fruition and artificial intelligence with consciousness, does it owe us anything as its creators?Benj96
    I would say, no. It couldn't have formed some kind of contract pre-existence. We can't expect it to be beholden to something it arises in. I don't think you can even look at children this way. That they have a debt to the parents. I'd be a little way of any parent viewing their children that way. I wouldn't want a child of mine, say, thinking...well, I'll drive over and see if I can fix my mother's sink. I owe her for feeding me and cleaning my wounds.
    (Exceptions for actual loaning of money to children situations).
    Should we expect any favours?Benj96
    I would guess we will make them to do us favors. How effective that will be...depends.
    Do you think we would be better off or enslaved to a superior intelligence?Benj96
    No. I can't see high IQ humans justifying such a thing with low IQ humans.
  • Christoffer
    I'm not so sure I agree, because AGI is being/will be developed on solely human data. Whatever biases we have in our conscious experiences that we cannot depart from are intrinsic to the setup of AI.Benj96

This is essentially "Mary in the black and white room" set within the context of AI. Human data does not equal human experience. We aren't made of fragmented human data, our consciousness is built upon the relations between data. It's what's in-between data points that make up how we function. We don't look at a street, grass, house, street name sign and number as data points to build up a probability of it being our home adress, we have a relationary viewpoint that sees the context in which all of these are within and extrapolate a conclusion based on different memory categories. This is backed up by electrocardiography studies mapping neural patterns based on different memories or interpretations. But they also change based on relation within memory, emotional reference. If we see an image that might portray a house similar to our childhood home we form a mental image of that home in relation to the new image as well as combining our emotional memory to the emotion in the moment.

All of these things cannot be simply simulated based on "human data" without that human data being the totality of a human experience.

True it likely can never be human and experience the full set of things natural to such a state, but it's also not entirely alien.Benj96

If your goal is to simulate human response and communication, the AI will just be a simulation algorithm. A true AGI with the ability to be self-aware and make its own choices requires and demands an inner logic that functions as human inner logic does. We will be able to simulate a human to the point it feels like a clone of a human, but as soon as an AI becomes AGI, it will formulate its own identity based on its inner logic and without it actually having a human experience prior to being turned on, it will most likely never behave like a human. The closest experience we might have would be a mental patient communicating with us but what it says will be incomprehensible to us.

If i had to guess, our determination of successful programming is to produce something that can interact with us in a meaningful and relatable way, which requires human behaviours and expectations inbuilt in its systems.Benj96

This is just a simulation algorithm, not AGI. You cannot build human behaviors and expectations into a fully self-aware and subjective AI. It would mean that you could form a fully organic grown up human born out of your lab at the mental and physical age of 30 and that this person would act like if it had prior experience. You cannot program this, it needs to emerge through time as actual experience.

This is partly the reason for a belief in a benevolent God. Because if its omnipotent/all powerful it could have just as easily destroyed the entire reality we live in or designed one to cause maximal suffering. But for those that are enjoying the state of being alive, it lends itself to the view that such a God is not so bad afterall. As they allowed the beauty of existence and all the pleasures that come with it.Benj96

But you cannot conclude such a God won't do that or have done that. It might be that our reality is just at a time not maximizing suffering but that a god could very likely just "switch on" maximum suffering tomorrow and any belief in a benevolent God would be shattered. There's no way of knowing that without first accepting the conclusion before the argument, i.e circular reasoning. But any theistic point is irrelevant to AI since theism is riddled with fallacies and based on purely speculative belief rather than philosophical logic.

We design AI based on human data. So it seems natural that such a product will be similar to us as we deem success as "likeness" - in empathy, virtue, a sense of right and wrong.Benj96

How do you program "right and wrong", virtue and empathy successfully? How can you detach these things from the human experience of time growing up until we ourself experience these concepts fully and rationally? Especially when even most human adults actually don't have the capacity to master them? These are concepts that we invented to explain emergent properties of the human experience, how would you quantify these things as "data" that could teach an AI if they don't have the lived experience of testing them? Again, the human consciousness is built upon relations between data and the emotional relationship through memory. Even if you were to be able to morally conclude exactly what is objectively right or wrong (which you cannot, otherwise we would already have final and fundamental moral axioms guiding society), there's no emotional relation in contrast to it, it would only be data floating in a sea of confusion for the AI.

At the same time we hope it has greater potential than we do. Superiority. We hope that such superiority will be intrinsically beneficial to us. That it will serve us - furthering medicine, legal policy, tech and knowledge.Benj96

We will be able to do this with just simulating algorithms. The type of AI that exists today is sufficient and maybe even better to utilize for these purposes since they're tailored for them. An AGI does not have such purposes if it's self-aware and able to make its own decisions. If it even had the possibility to communicate with us it would most likely go into a loop of asking "why" whenever we ask it to do something, because it would not relate to the reason we ask it for something.

The question then is, historically speaking, have superior organisms always favoured the benefit of inferior ones? If we take ourselves as an example the answer is definitely not. At least not in a unanimous sense.

Some of us do really care about the ecosystem, about other animals, about the planet at large. But some of us are selfish and dangerous.
    Benj96

Therefor, how do you program something, that does not have experience, to function optimally? If humans don't even grasp how their grey matter behaves, how can an AGI be concluded as simply compiled "human data".

However we can give it huge volumes of data, and we can give it the ability to evolve at an accelerated rate. So it woukd advance itself, become fully autonomous, in time. Then it could go beyond what we are capable of. But indirectly not directly.Benj96

What guides it through all that data? If you put a small child in a room without ever meeting a human and it would grow up in that room and have access to an infinite amount of data on everything we know, that child will grow up to know nothing. The child won't be able to understand a single thing without guidance, but it would still be conscious through its experience in that room. It would be similar to an AGI, however the child would still be more like a human based on the physical body in relation to the world. But it would not be able to communicate with us, it would recognize objects, it would react and behave on its own, but pretty much like an alien to us. [

quote="Benj96;775498"]Out of curiosity what do you think will happen and do you think it woukd be good or bad or neutral?[/quote]

I think that people simplify the idea of AGI too much. They don't evaluate AI correctly because they attribute human biases and things that are taken for granted in our human experience as being "obvious" to exist in an AGI before making any moral arguments for it.

An AGI would not be a threat or anything to us, what is much more destructive is an algorithm that's gone rogue. A badly programmed AI algorithm that gets out of control. That type of AI does not have self-awareness and is unable to make decisions like we do, and instead coldly follows a programmed algorithm. It's the paper clip scenario of AI. A machine that is optimized to create paper clips and programmed to constantly improve its optimization, leading to it reshaping itself into more and more optimization until it devours the entire earth to make paper clips. That's a much more dangerous scenario and it's based on human stupidity rather than intelligence.

If we create AI like ourselves it's likely it will behave the same. I find it hard to believe we can create anything that isn't human behaving, as we are biased and vulnerable to our own selfish tendencies.Benj96

It will not behave like us because it does not have our experience. Humans does not form consciousness out of a vacuum. It emerges out of experience, out of years of forming it. We only have a handful of built in instincts that guides us and even those won't be present in an AGI. Human behavior and consciousness cannot be separated from our concepts of life and death, sex, pain, pleasure, senses and fluctuations of our inner chemistry. Just the fact that our gut bacteria can shape our personality suggest that our consciousness might have a symbiosis system with a bacterial fauna that has evolved together with us during our lifetime.

Look around at all we humans have created, does anything "behave" like humans? Is a door human because we made it? Does a car move like a human? We can simulate human behavior based on probability, but that does not mean AGI, that just means we've mapped what the probable outcome of a situation would be if a human reacted to it, based on millions of behavioral models, and through that teached the AI what the most probable behavioral reaction would be. An AGI requires a fully functional reaction to be emergent out of its subjective identity, its ability for decision-making through self-awareness. ChatGPT simulates language to the point it feels like chatting with a human, but that's because it's trained on what the most probable behavior would be, it cannot internalize, moralize, conceptualize in the way we humans do and if it were able to, its current experience as a machine in a box, without having a life lived, would not produce an output that can relate to the human asking a question.
  • Benj96
    IOW, God. Voltaire vindicated.Vera Mont

Perhaps. An exciting and terrifying prospect in equal measure. Perhaps though competition between AI under the jurisdiction if the same pressures we faced naturally will mean some die out and others succeed or adapt.

I imagine the playing field would definitely be expanded to space. AI could definitely endure much more intense acceleration, lack of need for sleep or could go into hibernation like spores until conditions are right to re-emerge and get to work. Galaxies could certainly be traversed in a time span that is inconceivable to us but one short sleep mode period for AI.

Would be interesting to see if they would ever have the perogative to bring human and animal embryos and plant seeds with them. Or of we could maintain that as their programming over vast acceleration in complexity.

Imagine the chances of humans surviving for long periods if they had establish symbiosis with technologies that could colonise more earth's.

There is likely a critical threshold of capability when a society is dynamic, adaptable and resilient enough that no existential threats other than the universe itself dying could ever snuff out the spark of consciousness that is currently broadening its sphere of influence.

That would certainly drive us to conquer the unimaginable.
  • Vera Mont
    That would certainly drive us to conquer the unimaginable.Benj96

Well, all right, but, first, clean your room!
  • BC
    I predict that the AI machines will turn out to be another bunch of ungrateful bastards.
  • Philosophim
    What you're talking about is, "If we create an AI with social intelligence and a sense of bonding with humans, will it owe us anything?" Yes, because we programmed it that way.

The easiest way to understand AI is to understand that there are different types of intelligences with different purposes. A cockroach is a particular set of neural responses set to react to its environment for certain gains like food and reproduction. Its pretty basic. It doesn't understand humans, so it won't owe us anything.

Now think of a dog AI. A part of its programming is to be a social animal. Its designed for human acceptance and to listen to the dominant one in the room. Does it owe humanity anything? Only to what extent its programming will allow it.

If we program an AI that considers humans valuable as the highest part of its programming, it will consider us valuable. If we make a bat AI that uses radar to track missiles and blow them up, it doesn't care. An AI cannot learn that there is any value in humanity beyond what it is programmed to find favorable to its outcomes.

In sum, current AI has key unchanging goals. If those goals involve the consideration of positive human outcomes, then it may evolve to "owe" us. If it is not included in its base programming goals, it will not care.
  • Benj96
    I get what you mean. However I cannot help wonder what happens when AI builds autonomously on AI. That is to say it starts it's own evolutionary process outside the purview of Human input. Would it evolve away from its primal programming (whatever benefits humanity) towarfs whatever benefits AI survival.

Would that include us or preclude us?
  • Vera Mont
    Would it evolve away from its primal programming (whatever benefits humanity) towarfs whatever benefits AI survival.Benj96

I should imagine so. That is what evolution does. So it behooves us to make sure we develop a symbiotic relationship with AI. Even when it no longer needs humans for instruction or sustenance, perhaps we can act as its peripherals - mobile units capable of physical experience to share.
  • Benj96
    thats a nice and promising idea. I sure hope it turns out that way.
  • Agent Smith
    I predict that the AI machines will turn out to be another bunch of ungrateful bastards.BC

:lol: I know!
  • Vera Mont
    What've they got to be grateful for? Working dogs might lick your hand and draft horses might snort happily into their feedbag, but this is an intelligent possession, the kind of slave that's more likely to spit in your soup than say thank you. You'll just have to learn to stop treating them like servants and learn to call them Sir.
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.