• Agent Smith
    We make such a big deal of understanding aka comprehension.

Could it be that, as someone once said to me, the point is to unlearn ununderstand or at the very least, refuse to understand?
  • Jack Cummins

The question about refusing to understand may come down to whether this happens consciously or not. Someone may say that they simply don't understanding without realising that they are not making an effort to do so, as an aspect of a subconscious defence mechanism. In some ways people may have blindspots about such defense mechanisms, especially in emotionally charged topics of a personal sensitive nature.
  • Agent Smith
    Defense mechanisms - heard of those, quite a long time ago though. Are they still legitimate ideas in psychology? Could you please give me an example. Danke.

The blind spot,inter alia, is a classic case of poor design, wouldn't you agree mon ami? There are, I feel, some inconsistencies, here & there, but it's not in my place to, you know, point fingers.

Understanding, what is it? I recall giving me opinion on the subject a long time ago, but I have Alzheimer's (self-diagnosed). So yeah!
  • Jack Cummins

The reason why defence mechanisms are not spoken about much is because the language of psychoanalysis is not used very much because other models are used instead. I use it though because I have done some psychodynamic training and find it useful.

An example of a defense mechanisms may be someone ignoring particular points which someone has made totally on a topic as if excluding them. What I am describing is a form of selective attention. For example, if someone who is religious listens to a discussion about theism and atheism and zooms in on all the arguments in favour of God's existence and appears not to have heard all the points in favour of atheism. Similarly, this may appear in political discussions when one seems almost blind to opposing arguments.
  • Agent Smith

Amazing! I havta read up on the topic! Wikipedia should have an article or two on it.

So you're suggesting that some people block out stuff that may be critical to his/her grasp of a subject under discussion (this being involuntary). Yep, that's correct!

What of a broader/different perspective on defense mechanisms? Any ideas?
  • 180 Proof
    Understanding, what is it?Agent Smith
    My shorthand: to understand is to, explicitly or implicitly, contextualize discourses (i.e. narratives, maps, models), actions or events in order to orient oneself and thereby constrain uncertainty. No doubt, understanding is an infinite task because metacognition is as finite as it is perspectival.
  • Agent Smith
    You read me mind mon ami! I haven't been able to formulate as clear an understanding of understanding.

What do you make of the following?

Wir müssen wissen - Wir werden wissen (We must know - we will know). — David Hilbert (German mathematician)
  • 180 Proof
    Well Gödel shook Hilbert from that fever-dream. :smirk:
  • Agent Smith
    On point!

Do you understand Gödel's argument? If you do, kindly sum it for me. If you don't where do you get stuck so to speak?
  • 180 Proof
    Another time, mi amigo, it's 5am here ... :yawn: Besides, I suspect @jgill or @Banno can help you out with old Gödel.
  • javi2541997
    Could it be that, as someone once said to me, the point is to unlearn ununderstand or at the very least, refuse to understand?Agent Smith

I am agree. But one of the main problems is that our awareness is difficult to understand. So I will not be able to say: I understand you! while it is hard to understand myself. It is a paradox, if you think it deeply. We try to debate about metaphysical with the aim of reaching significance meanwhile we are not really sure if we understand ourselves at all.
  • Agent Smith
    That, mon ami, is a wonderful summary of our my predicament.
  • javi2541997
    It is always a pleasure to debate with you, friend :sparkle: :up:
  • Agent Smith
    It is always a pleasure to debate with you, friend :sparkle:javi2541997

:smile:
  • 180 Proof
    Do you understand Gödel's argument?Agent Smith
    I "understand" his Incompleteness theorems only while I'm reading them or a learned synopsis of them.

If you do, kindly sum it for me. If you don't where do you get stuck so to speak?
    I guess I'm "stuck" at not being an adequate enough logician or metamathematician.
  • Agent Smith

The incompleteness theorems, there are two of them. Relies on, by some accounts, a mod of the well-known liar paradox. Basically boils down to the Gödel statement (G) "This statement is unprovable"; the system is so designed that the statement in question is G itself. In short, G = G is unprovable. Now the "fun" part: If G is provable, G is true which is to say G is unprovable. If G is unprovable then G is, well, unprovable. Either way, there's a statement that's unprovable viz. G.
  • javi2541997
    Good points both of you. But understanding is not necessarily based in logic and mathematics. You used Gödel's theorems but we can also quote Confucianism or Aristotle's anima in terms of basic knowledge.
  • Agent Smith
    Danke for the reminder!
  • Agent Smith
    Mushin no shin

Empty yer mind ... :party:
  • 180 Proof
    Empty yer mind ... :party:Agent Smith
    D'oh! :gasp:
  • Agent Smith
    Also related may be forgetfulness, amnesia, etc. associated with a constellation of psychiatric illnesses.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.