• Darkneos
    Nor am I saying that you presume solipsism, but that it is a consequence of the presumed primacy of experience.Banno

I would argue otherwise. Solipsism is a massive leap of faith more than realism and violates Occam's Razor.
  • Darkneos
    I’m not arguing against the implication that ‘other people’ aren’t ‘real’ as such, because I don’t think it’s as important as you might think. I’m arguing that what IS ‘real’ with regard to the notion of ‘other people’ is merely evidence or measurements of their existence in potentiality: ‘other people’ exist and are useful (different to convenient) in this non-real, non-verifiable, conceptual or fictional structure in terms of how we interact with the world.

Real does not necessarily determine existence. This is outdated thinking. Energy and other people are far more complex than mere measurement/observation would suggest. Recognising this enables us to manage our uncertainty and prediction error.
    Possibility

It's sort of important that they are real since it affects how we treat and regard them. A lot of bad has been done by those who have a habit of making others appear to be less than.

Real does determine existence and I don't know where you got this notion that it is outdated. Never heard anyone suggest that. I'm not even sure how you're dragging energy into this. What is real is what can be determined to exist, that's how we know dreams are not real and can safely dismiss a nightmare (well usually).
  • Possibility
    It's sort of important that they are real since it affects how we treat and regard them. A lot of bad has been done by those who have a habit of making others appear to be less than.

Real does determine existence and I don't know where you got this notion that it is outdated. Never heard anyone suggest that. I'm not even sure how you're dragging energy into this. What is real is what can be determined to exist, that's how we know dreams are not real and can safely dismiss a nightmare (well usually).
    Darkneos

Who said anything about less than? I keep bringing up energy because it exists at the same level you are trying to dismiss as ‘less than’. You can try to ‘dismiss’ a nightmare, but it still exists as part of your experiences. What you’d be doing is trying to exclude, isolate or ignore the experience by devaluing the information it offers.

The way I see it, ‘not real’ doesn’t mean ‘less than’. Real is a quality of existence, but not necessarily a value judgement. Treating the information we have about other people as ‘not necessarily real as such’, in this world of online forums, social media and AI, is arguably more accurate than being dismissive of any interaction unconfirmed as ‘real’. You can’t be certain that anything you read or observe here about me is ‘real’. I am a ‘useful fiction’ to you, whether you recognise that or not, as you are to me. For me, that means I treat you as MORE than the information I have about you, not less.

When we read about a character, we treat them as MORE than the description we have. When we interact with a fictional character, we flesh out the limited information we have AS IF they were a living, thinking, feeling human being.
  • Darkneos
    Who said anything about less than? I keep bringing up energy because it exists at the same level you are trying to dismiss as ‘less than’. You can try to ‘dismiss’ a nightmare, but it still exists as part of your experiences. What you’d be doing is trying to exclude, isolate or ignore the experience by devaluing the information it offers.Possibility

IT offers no information, it's not real. It has no consequences in reality, it doesn't hurt you, its not energy. It's just a phantom. It does not EXIST.

When we read about a character, we treat them as MORE than the description we have. When we interact with a fictional character, we flesh out the limited information we have AS IF they were a living, thinking, feeling human being.Possibility

Not always, we remember they aren't real after all.

The way I see it, ‘not real’ doesn’t mean ‘less than’. Real is a quality of existence, but not necessarily a value judgement. Treating the information we have about other people as ‘not necessarily real as such’, in this world of online forums, social media and AI, is arguably more accurate than being dismissive of any interaction unconfirmed as ‘real’. You can’t be certain that anything you read or observe here about me is ‘real’. I am a ‘useful fiction’ to you, whether you recognise that or not, as you are to me. For me, that means I treat you as MORE than the information I have about you, not less.Possibility

Well you aren't a useful fiction because you are real as am I. I really think you're trying to make what he said out to be better than it actually is. He's pretty much implying others aren't real if you're regarding their existence as a useful fiction. And when you regard something as not real then you open the gate to essentially permitting everything against it, which makes what's on his home page all the more odd.

Not real does mean less than. I mean you don't see legislation or rights for NPCs for fictional characters right?
  • invizzy
    No, I don’t think quantum physics says that nothing is real. I think it has more to say about causation.

Most people don’t question what they mean by ‘causation’ too much, and think that the observation of something (e.g. a particle) causing that thing’s location is odd. But if you have a nuanced view of causation it doesn’t necessarily mean that a particle doesn’t have a location before it is observed.

Now a counterfactual way of thinking about causation is A way of thinking about causation (e.g. that if the cause didn’t happen then neither would the effect) but perhaps this suggests we update our ideas about causation rather than reality.
  • Agent Smith
    The electron cloud (?) represents, if anything, our ignorance. A particle can't be in two places at the same time, period! When someone's lost, his/her location is a fuzzy circle centered on his last known position, but that doesn't imply s/he is everywhere within that circle. Off-topic? The devil made me do it!
  • invizzy
    Agreed @Agent Smith!

I see no difference with small scale and the macro world in that regard.
  • Agent Smith
    Agreed Agent Smith!

I see no difference with small scale and the macro world in that regard.
    invizzy

:up:
  • Darkneos
    Actually after talking with the guy who made that quote I've found he has no idea what he's talking about. He keeps referring to the Many Worlds interpretation which is the least supported view.
  • PhilosophyRunner
    The electron cloud (?) represents, if anything, our ignorance. A particle can't be in two places at the same time, period! When someone's lost, his/her location is a fuzzy circle centered on his last known position, but that doesn't imply s/he is everywhere within that circle. Off-topic? The devil made me do it!Agent Smith

I agree that it represents our ignorance, but I would say it is about our ignorance of what it means to be located in a place. Our macroscopic intuition about things always being in specific places is shaky at best when we get down to the quantum level, so I lean towards our intuition on location being the ignorance.

A number of experiments (such as the double slit experiments) have shown that it is not simply a case of electrons being in a particular location, but we don't know exactly where, thus we describe it as a probability distribution. Rather the uncertainty is a more fundamental thing than just us not knowing.

So I would suggest our ignorance is not about where exactly the electron is (like in your analogy), rather we are ignorant about what it means for the electron to be somewhere exactly.
  • Agent Smith

So it's just what some posters have been saying - at quantum scales, the notion of position/location (of particles) breaks down i.e. mapping macroscopic concepts onto the microscopic world is problematic, oui?
  • invizzy
    From my understanding about uncertainty of quantum states it is more correct to say that detecting a particle causes its location rather than detecting a particle causes you to KNOW it’s location, the later which seems trivially true.

Still with an updated understanding of what ‘cause’ means I don’t think this should be as science-deranging as it seems.
  • PhilosophyRunner

Oui.

An analogy of one interpretation is to imagine a wave in a pond. It makes no sense to say the wave is at one particular location at coordinate (x,y). All of the troughs and crests are part of the wave, there is no exact location where it solely exists, it exists over an area.

However if you drop a buoy in the lake, you can now measure an amplitude for the wave at a specific location at coordinate (x,y). You have now interacted with the wave at a specific point, and are able to measure it there.

However this is just one interpretations. A lot of quantum physicists subscribe to the "just shut up and calculate" philosophy. They trust the math, they trust the experiments, but they do not trust their intuition in being able to understand what this all actually means.

Something I have wondering about recently is whether perhaps math is simply a better language to understand quantum mechanics than English, as English (and all other ordinary languages) are encumbered with too much normal macroscopic experiences and intuitions built into the way they are used. While math is, perhaps, a bit more aloof. Just a passing thought.
  • Agent Smith
    Excellent post! Math has a greater range than any natural language, penetrating much, much further through the veil of Isis. It's like as if languages like English need to catch up with math.
  • Andrew M
    Something I have wondering about recently is whether perhaps math is simply a better language to understand quantum mechanics than English, as English (and all other ordinary languages) are encumbered with too much normal macroscopic experiences and intuitions built into the way they are used.PhilosophyRunner

Here's Heisenberg on the issue:

Light and matter are both single entities, and the apparent duality arises in the limitations of our language. It is not surprising that our language should be incapable of describing the processes occurring within the atoms, for, as has been remarked, it was invented to describe the experiences of daily life, and these consist only of processes involving exceedingly large numbers of atoms. Furthermore, it is very difficult to modify our language so that it will be able to describe these atomic processes, for words can only describe things of which we can form mental pictures, and this ability, too, is a result of daily experience. Fortunately, mathematics is not subject to this limitation, and it has been possible to invent a mathematical scheme — the quantum theory — which seems entirely adequate for the treatment of atomic processes; for visualisation, however, we must content ourselves with two incomplete analogies — the wave picture and the corpuscular picture.The Physical Principles of the Quantum Theory - Werner Heisenberg

Now consider the introduction of negative numbers:

For a long time, understanding of negative numbers was delayed by the impossibility of having a negative-number amount of a physical object, for example "minus-three apples", and negative solutions to problems were considered "false".Negative number, History - Wikipedia

The math was entirely adequate but there was no natural picture, hence a lack of understanding. However, if negative numbers are thought of as the inverse of positive numbers, then they can be visualized. For example, credits and debits in banking. Or walking forwards and backwards.

As Gauss noted:

That this subject [imaginary numbers] has hitherto been surrounded by mysterious obscurity, is to be attributed largely to an ill adapted notation. If, for example, +1, -1, and the square root of -1 had been called direct, inverse and lateral units, instead of positive, negative and imaginary (or even impossible), such an obscurity would have been out of the question. — Carl Friedrich Gauss

Something similar may be the case for quantum mechanics.
  • invizzy

I find language is often underestimated! Maths is good in its domain for sure, but I think true understanding only comes from the clarity of a well constructed sentence.

It is important, therefore , to analyse words like ‘to be’, ‘to cause’ and ‘to mean’ to see what they’re really getting up to!
  • Metaphysician Undercover
    The math was entirely adequate but there was no natural picture, hence a lack of understanding. However, if negative numbers are thought of as the inverse of positive numbers, then they can be visualized. For example, credits and debits in banking. Or walking forwards and backwards.Andrew M

The issue of imaginary numbers is different though. It is an issue of there being two distinct conventions, yet each convention is correct in its own field of application. In the one case there is no square root of a negative number, in the other case there is. This means that there is two completely distinct ways of conceiving negative numbers, and not a simple matter of negative being the inverse of positive. It is how the negative are conceived to relate to the positive, that creates the problem, i.e. it is not a straight forward inversion due to the role that zero plays.
  • PhilosophyRunner
    I find language is often underestimated! Maths is good in its domain for sure, but I think true understanding only comes from the clarity of a well constructed sentence.

It is important, therefore , to analyse words like ‘to be’, ‘to cause’ and ‘to mean’ to see what they’re really getting up to!
    invizzy

I would agree with this most of the time. It is well known among teaching circles that getting a student to explain their understanding of a concept (in a natural language of course) is the best way to know they do actually understand the concept. It certainly helps understanding to put concepts into words, in most instances.

The question I have is what about concepts that are completely unlike our experiences? In these instances does my above paragraph, or your quoted one still stand true? I'm not sure.

For example, if time is actually something completely other than what we experience it to be, then you might run into problems truly understanding what "cause" means. Meanwhile you may be able to mathematically formulate something that does not run into any such problems. And perhaps the meaning you seek is there in that mathematical formulation.
  • Srap Tasmaner
    The issue of imaginary numbers is different though. It is an issue of there being two distinct conventions, yet each convention is correct in its own field of application. In the one case there is no square root of a negative number, in the other case there is.Metaphysician Undercover

I don't think so. It remains true that negatives do not have *real* square roots, and that's the same as saying that if your domain is discourse is restricted to real numbers they have *no* square roots. The complex plane is a perfectly natural extension of the real line.

It is how the negative are conceived to relate to the positive, that creates the problem, i.e. it is not a straight forward inversion due to the role that zero plays.Metaphysician Undercover

Not following this at all.
    I don't think so. It remains true that negatives do not have *real* square roots, and that's the same as saying that if your domain is discourse is restricted to real numbers they have *no* square roots. The complex plane is a perfectly natural extension of the real line.Srap Tasmaner

I don't follow this. If, within the domain of real numbers, negatives do not have square roots, then the complex plane, within which negatives do have a square root, is outside the real line, something different from it, and not an extension of it.
  • Andrew M
    The issue of imaginary numbers is different though. It is an issue of there being two distinct conventions, yet each convention is correct in its own field of application. In the one case there is no square root of a negative number, in the other case there is.Metaphysician Undercover

There are also two distinct conventions for natural numbers and integers (which include negative numbers). With integers, a larger number can be subtracted from a smaller number. With natural numbers, it can't.

This means that there is two completely distinct ways of conceiving negative numbers, and not a simple matter of negative being the inverse of positive. It is how the negative are conceived to relate to the positive, that creates the problem, i.e. it is not a straight forward inversion due to the role that zero plays.Metaphysician Undercover

With complex numbers, the negative is still the inverse of the positive. But the picture is more general. That is, an inversion is just a particular kind of rotation (namely, 180° on the complex plane).
    There are also two distinct conventions for natural numbers and integers (which include negative numbers). With integers, a larger number can be subtracted from a smaller number. With natural numbers, it can't.Andrew M

Yes, distinct conventions for numbers is a real issue, which I take as evidence against Platonism. How could a number be a single object, if there are different conventions for meaning?

With complex numbers, the negative is still the inverse of the positive.Andrew M

But negatives are not the inverse of positives, that's the point, and it's what the fact that there is not a square root of a negative number indicates. The problem is that zero occupies a position on the number line. If it was a simple inversion, the count would go from one to negative one, as the two directions would be the inverse of each other. But there are two spaces between one and negative one. So zero occupies a place in the count, it plays a real role, and this is why the negatives are not a simple inversion of the positives, because that would rule out a position for zero. And it is also the way that we conceive of zero, as a divisor between the haves (positive) and the have nots (negatives), that makes us say that two negatives multiplied together must make a positive, but we do not say that two positives multiplied together must make a negative.
  • Andrew M
    But negatives are not the inverse of positivesMetaphysician Undercover

See the mathematical definition below.

In mathematics, the additive inverse of a number a is the number that, when added to a, yields zero. This number is also known as the opposite (number), sign change, and negation. For a real number, it reverses its sign: the additive inverse (opposite number) of a positive number is negative, and the additive inverse of a negative number is positive. Zero is the additive inverse of itself.Additive inverse - Wikipedia

A picture for this is that walking forwards three steps and then walking backwards three steps returns you to your initial location. 3 is the additive inverse (or opposite) of -3.

The problem is that zero occupies a position on the number line. If it was a simple inversion, the count would go from one to negative one, as the two directions would be the inverse of each other. But there are two spaces between one and negative one. So zero occupies a place in the count, it plays a real role, and this is why the negatives are not a simple inversion of the positives, because that would rule out a position for zero.Metaphysician Undercover

See the quote above. Zero is the additive inverse of itself.
  • Nickolasgaspar

-"Does quantum physics say nothing is real?"
    -I will try to keep my post simple and short without technical terms and complex concepts.
    No............
    See the mathematical definition below.Andrew M

That's the "additive inverse". It does not mean that negative numbers are the inverse of positive numbers in a general sense, only in the operation of addition. Without that qualification it wouldn't make sense to say that a thing (zero) could be the inverse of itself, because there would be no inversion involved there.
  • Andrew M
    That's the "additive inverse". It does not mean that negative numbers are the inverse of positive numbers in a general sense, only in the operation of addition. Without that qualification it wouldn't make sense to say that a thing (zero) could be the inverse of itself, because there would be no inversion involved there.Metaphysician Undercover

"Additive inverse" is the relevant sense here. I don't know what you mean by "a general sense". Do you have a link to a definition?
  • Real Gone Cat

Hee hee. Welcome to MU, the school of bizarro math, where up is down and black is white. There's only one teacher and he never studied math himself, but he knows what he knows.
    Do you have a link to a definition?Andrew M

OED: invert: reverse the position, order or place of.

but he knows what he knows.Real Gone Cat

Thank you.

Obviously, negatives are not treated as the direct inverse of positives, because two positives multiplied together produce a positive number, and the two negatives multiplied together also produce the same positive number.
  • Andrew M
    OED: invert: reverse the position, order or place of.Metaphysician Undercover

Such as reflecting the positive number line over the origin and reversing the sign of the reflected numbers. In other words, positive and negative numbers are opposite numbers.

Obviously, negatives are not treated as the direct inverse of positives, because two positives multiplied together produce a positive number, and the two negatives multiplied together also produce the same positive number.Metaphysician Undercover

Multiplying two negative numbers is equivalent to multiplying two positive numbers and then reversing the sign twice. Which means the final result will be positive.

For example:
    -3 * -2 = -(-(3 * 2))
            = 6

Which is to say, 3 * 2 = 6. -6 is the opposite number to 6. And, in turn, 6 is the opposite number to -6. So the final answer is 6.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.