• ThinkOfOne
    On the other hand, one could argue that the accusation leveled against another of ‘unsound critical thinking skills’ is often a convenient way to blame the other for our failure to understand their framework for interpreting a situation.Joshs

C'mon. You seem to have taken a portion of what I wrote out of context and created a straw man. Try considering the entirety of what I wrote within the context of the post it was in response to.
  • Cuthbert
    Yes, all good about critical thinking. I have encountered unbigoted and open-minded trans rights activitists and radical feminists all with excellent critical thinking skills and a huge amount of education and knowledge of everything from biology to the history of feminism and metaphysics. And they disagree profoundly on some of these matters. If I suggested that the problem was a lack of knowledge, experience, awareness or application of logic then they would look at me queerly and perhaps make a little acid comment about my own competence. And they might have a point.
  • Cuthbert
    Yes, I agree. 'Understanding' can include both or either the shift in awareness and viewpoint and new knowledge and experience. And it's true that there are both myopia (if not bigotry) and also ignorance. Thank you for introducing Kuhn. If we think of the controversies over the geocentric universe or evolution, requiring a shift in world view not just new information, there are parallels with political shifts like gender identity.
123Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.