• Virus Collector
    Foreword: IDK if this is Philosophy of Science or Epistemology since I assume correspondence theory and this is more about how to go from Cartesian Skepticism to your current beliefs from an atheistic perspective. I've organized my post in layman's conveyance first, then syllogistically so feel free to skip the layman section but that's where I think I've conveyed it best.

We start by knowing we are thinking and we are experiencing stuff. Well, in order to be thinking, we must exist.

Next, as far as we can perceive, our thoughts become our actions and these actions have a correlation with our experiences. This will be our foundation for our indictive reasoning.

Since our thoughts must exist, our actions must exist, therefore, IF our actions correlate with experiences, THEN our experiences are probably true.

Given this epistemology, we can inductively determine that there may be parts of reality we aren't immediately observing. We discover object permanence by repeatedly observing something coming in and out of our existence; if it continues to reappear after it leaves perception, then it probably exists.

BUT we still don't know HOW reality functions. So we use things happening repeatedly to assign truth probability to our theories for how reality works (this is the scientific method).

Furthermore, we encounter ideas that are not our own when interacting with the world. BECAUSE thinking implies existence (as we used to determine that we exist) THEN we can know with 100% certainty, that at least one other person exists.

As we interact with humans more, we can learn through testing whether or not they collectively share ideas then inductively develop the theory of mind (other people with their own minds exist).

Note, we don't know for certain if they each have their own minds because lying is possible. So even without invoking the reality we cannot observe (supernatural, evil genius, Last Thursdayism, etc) we have reason to doubt the statements of others.

Also note, that all of the reasons we have to doubt our own experiences also apply to doubting their experiences. So in addition to intentional deception (lying, omission, half-truths, false implications, etc.), we must also consider the unitentional falsehoods that they may convey (hallucinations, misunderstandings, accidental omissions, incomplete details, incomplete knowledge, etc.).

Therefore, we can conclude (deductively, this time) that information transmitted through other people has an inherently low likelihood of veracity without addressing the intentional and unitentional ways that the information can be made false (i.e. not corresponsing with reality).

In order to arrive at higher probabilities of truth (I'll just call it accuracy), we must develop strategies for accounting for all of these possible avenues of falsehood.

One such strategy when observing physical (non-mind) events is science. Where we develop ideas for reality's behavior and test them for reproducibility. This is literally the definition of Science.

Sometimes, physical data is not available. So we need another strategy for when dealing solely with information that a person transmits to us. This is the same strategy we use when browsing the internet: we run a credibility check on our source.

First, we cover the intentional sources of truth contamination: lying, omission, misdirection, etc. We can address this by questioning motive and history: Why may they want to lie to us? Have they lied before?

Second, we cover the unitentional sources of truth contamination: misunderstanding, hallucination, incomplete knowledge, etc. For hallucinations, we run a medical check (history, diagnosis, etc.). For incomplete knowledge, we assess expertise and their methods for acquiring this knowledge.

Note, without these rigorous tests, knowledge we get from other people is inherently VERY unreliable. I'm talking 50% or lower. What's more, is everytime we add a new person in our game of telephone, we multiply our probabilities that each person got it right. If we assume each person had a 70% chance of getting it right, and this knowledge passes through 3 people, then there is only a 34.3% chance that the knowledge is correct.

If we apply this rule to historical knowledge, then all secondary sources are at best, guesses at the truth. And the accuracy of the knowledge decreases exponentially the further away from the event our account comes from.

Summary: given our egocentric position, we can only inductively determine that our experiences are reality. However, there are some deductive truths we can arrive at using IF THEN statements such as "object permanence" and a "theory of mind." Given that we can only inductively know things, we must use strategies to maximize the accuracy of our beliefs. Stategies include "the scientific method" for physical information and "credibility" for when information comes from other people. Without physical information/evidence, person-sourced information has a very low probability of truth (accuracy) due to how probabilities multiply. Historical knowledge suffers the same faults as person-sourced knowledge and so must be handled/assessed accordingly.

---Syllogistically---
    ---FUNDAMENTAL EPISTEMOLOGY---
    GIVEN TRUTHS:
    1. I am thinking.
    2. I have external observations (sight, sound, etc).
    3. I have internal states (hunger, pain, etc).
    4. I have a personal imperative (my wants: I want to avoid bad internal states and seek good internal

THEREFORE:
    1. IF my internal states correlate with external observations (I eat food, I feel less hungry) THEN there exists a possibility that my observations are true.
    2. IF my internal states repeatedly correlate with external observations, THEN the likelihood of my observations being true increases (every time I eat, I feel less hunger, so food is probably real)

---OBJECT PERMANENCE---
    1. IF an observed thing becomes unobserved, there exists a possibilty that it didn't cease existence.
    2. IF an unobserved thing becomes reobserved, THEN it probably didn't cease existence.
    3. IF unobserved things continue existence independent of immediate observation, THEN there exists an observable reality that is independent of my immediate observation.

---THEORY OF MIND---
    1. Existence is implied by thoughts
    2. Thoughts generate ideas
    3. There exists ideas separate from my mind (given)
    4. Therefore, there exist thoughts separate from my mind
    5. Therefore there exists at least one other mind

---SCIENCE---
    1. If initial observations of multiple events are the same, AND final observations of the same multiple events are similar, THEN a pattern has been observed
    2. IF a pattern has been observed, AND initial observations match the initial observations of the events of the pattern, THEN final observations will probably match the final observations of the pattern

---CREDIBILITY---
    1. Another mind (another person) makes a claim about reality.
    2. A claim is honest IF the claimant is not lying or engaging in misdirection
    3. A claim is thorough IF the claimant has not misunderstood their observations, AND has complete knowledge of their observations, AND has true observations
    4. IF their claim is honest and thorough, THEN it is probably true.
  • javi2541997

Hello and welcome to this forum. I have enjoyed reading your OP. Very well structured and written. Thanks for sharing it. To be honest, I do not how to answer in order to start a debate with you but I would like to share a brief personal note:

Why may they want to lie to us?Virus Collector

Because they know is necessary. I want to put the question backwards: Are we ready to live on the truth?
  • T Clark
    A clear, well put together post. Welcome to the forum.

We start by knowing we are thinking and we are experiencing stuff. Well, in order to be thinking, we must exist.

Next, as far as we can perceive, our thoughts become our actions and these actions have a correlation with our experiences. This will be our foundation for our indictive reasoning.

Since our thoughts must exist, our actions must exist, therefore, IF our actions correlate with experiences, THEN our experiences are probably true.
    Virus Collector

I think I get your overall point - you're describing a more or less formal process of induction. This part I don't get - You're trying to tie what you have to say back to the certainty of Descartes, but it doesn't work. I think, therefore I am, but that doesn't mean my experiences have any connection with an outside reality or even with a coherent internal reality. The same goes for my actions, if they are really even actions at all. If I even have a body.

Given this epistemology, we can inductively determine that there may be parts of reality we aren't immediately observing. We discover object permanence by repeatedly observing something coming in and out of our existence; if it continues to reappear after it leaves perception, then it probably exists.

BUT we still don't know HOW reality functions. So we use things happening repeatedly to assign truth probability to our theories for how reality works (this is the scientific method).
    Virus Collector

Now we're stepping out onto dangerous ground - making factual statements about how people learn about reality. How much of what we know of at a truly basic level is based on induction. I'm not sure, but cognitive science may have something to say about it. We are not blank slates.

Therefore, we can conclude (deductively, this time) that information transmitted through other people has an inherently low likelihood of veracity without addressing the intentional and unitentional ways that the information can be made false (i.e. not corresponsing with reality).Virus Collector

Problem is, almost everything we know above a certain level is based on what we've been told by others - all of science, history, current events, etc. What we can directly observe is severely restricted.

Again - good post.
  • Hillary
    BUT we still don't know HOW reality functionsVirus Collector

Don't we? Isn't reality made up of basic divine material?
  • Hillary
    CREDIBILITY---
    1. Another mind (another person) makes a claim about reality.
    2. A claim is honest IF the claimant is not lying or engaging in misdirection
    3. A claim is thorough IF the claimant has not misunderstood their observations, AND has complete knowledge of their observations, AND has true observations
    4. IF their claim is honest and thorough, THEN it is probably true
    Virus Collector

3) and 4) are unjustified.

1. If initial observations of multiple events are the same, AND final observations of the same multiple events are similar, THEN a pattern has been observed
    2. IF a pattern has been observed, AND initial observations match the initial observations of the events of the pattern, THEN final observations will probably match the final observations of the pattern
    Virus Collector

1) applies to astrology as well.
    2) That the final observations of the pattern and the final observations match depends on the state of the initial pattern. They can probably match or probably not.
  • Virus Collector
    Because they know is necessary. I want to put the question backwards: Are we ready to live on the truth?javi2541997

What do you mean by this?
  • Virus Collector
    I think I get your overall point - you're describing a more or less formal process of induction. This part I don't get - You're trying to tie what you have to say back to the certainty of Descartes, but it doesn't work. I think, therefore I am, but that doesn't mean my experiences have any connection with an outside reality or even with a coherent internal reality. The same goes for my actions, if they are really even actions at all. If I even have a body.T Clark

Thank you, that's a great point. I did some re-evaluation of this framework and found that we can't actually tie our beliefs to reality itself but we can assign truth statements to the pattern we observe with sense data.

---DEFINITIONS---
    1. Belief ≡ models of reality that are believed to be true/mostly true
    1a. A belief holds a value (x) WHERE 1=True (x measures the reliability of belief)
    1b. IF a belief is not true THEN it holds a value (x). 1>x≥0
    2. Tactus ≡ recognition-independent experiences
    3. Affectus ≡ recognition-dependent experiences
    4. Recognition ≡ a form of remembering characterized by a feeling of familiarity when something previously experienced is again encountered
    4. Fundamental ≡ the first element in a series
    5. Thought ≡ a present-tense engagement in logic
    6. Experience ≡ tactus, affectus
    7. Predictions ≡ the logical implications of a belief
    8. Personal Imperative ≡ a predetermined set of wants (Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs)
    9. Observations ≡ true tactus (tactus that correspond with reality)
    ---FUNDAMENTAL EPISTEMOLOGY---
    1. I have thoughts
    2. I have beliefs
    4. I have tactus
    5. I have affectus
    6. Tactus are the most fundamental experience
    9. I have a personal imperative: avoid bad tactus/affectus AND seek good tactus/affectus (EX: avoid pain, seek happiness)
    10. IF my tactus continuously/repeatedly correlate with my beliefs, THEN the likelihood of my beliefs being true increases (EX: Belief - IF I eat, THEN I feel less hungry. IF I feel less hunger each time I eat, THEN my belief is more likely to be true)

It isn't that we observe reality but that we must interact with our tactus in order to satisfy our personal imperative. So we will never have that certainty but we build a framework of reality from the ground up using observation, models, and more observations (science). It is inherently probabilistic though, that is true.
  • Virus Collector
    How much of what we know at a truly basic level is based on induction... We are not blank slates.T Clark
    This is true. I'm more trying to state that all of our knowledge/beliefs should be traceable via this inductive reasoning to some observable.

Problem is, almost everything we know above a certain level is based on what we've been told by others - all of science, history, current events, etc. What we can directly observe is severely restricted.T Clark

That is true. I think the idea is that through the theory of mind and the fundamental epistemology, we should be able to trace the claims of others to sense data. When we can't we drop the belief. Credibility is really just a shortcut for saving time.
  • Virus Collector
    3) and 4) are unjustified.Hillary

3) was really just defining thorough. How is 4) unjustified? If the claimant isn't lying and their analysis of their claim is solid, then what they're claiming is probably true

1) applies to astrology as well.Hillary

1) Yeah. It actually applies to all superstitions too. This premise was really just defining a pattern. We see patterns everywhere. Even when they are coincidental.

2) That the final observations of the pattern and the final observations match depends on the state of the initial pattern. They can probably match or probably not.Hillary

That's absolutely true. This is what precision and uncertainty are for. When our initial conditions are exactly the same, the output should be the same. There exist systems where this logic doesn't work perfectly though (Chaotic systems & Statistical systems like QM)
  • Philosophim
    Very nice start. I explore a somewhat Cartesian based approach to knowledge here, and eventually show how inductions can be ranked by cogency. https://thephilosophyforum.com/discussion/9015/a-methodology-of-knowledge/p1 Don't be intimidated by the parts, each part is only a couple of pages at most.
  • T Clark
    This is true. I'm more trying to state that all of our knowledge/beliefs should be traceable via this inductive reasoning to some observable.Virus Collector

In my understanding, most, maybe all, intuition is based on my past experiences over a lifetime. That doesn't mean the knowledge is "traceable." Generally, a specific belief is not associated with a particular experience or experiences that I can identify.
  • alan1000
    I don't want to rain on a parade, but I think you would be extremely courageous to build a philosophical arguement on Cartesian Scepticism nowadays. The most destructive criticism I have come across was written by a Jesuit priest who was a lecturer at the University of Sydney (unfortunately, I'm ashamed to admit, I can't remember his name). Cartersian Scepticism appears to work only on condition you stop halfway. Descartes never doubted that truth exists, reason exists, criteria to distinguish truth from falsehood exist, and that the nature of existence is basically rational and follows logical rules, and finally - and this most telling - never doubted for a moment that God exists. Even to the lacklustre extent that he applied his "universal doubt", he relies upon God to pull him out of the logical hole he digs for himself.
  • 180 Proof
    Cartersian Scepticism appears to work only on condition you stop halfway. Descartes never doubted that truth exists, reason exists, criteria to distinguish truth from falsehood exist, and that the nature of existence is basically rational and follows logical rules, and finally - and this most telling - never doubted for a moment that God exists. Even to the lacklustre extent that he applied his "universal doubt", he relies upon God to pull him out of the logical hole he digs for himself.alan1000
    :clap: :100:

Also, Descartes doesn't prove he exists by attempting global skepticism since the attempt itself presuppose he (the attempter) exists on pain of performative self-contradiction (e.g. "I do not exist"). If "the cogito" demonstrates anything it's this: "doubting happens" (not that "the doubter exists").
  • Yohan
    Also, Descartes doesn't prove he exists by attempting global skepticism since the attempt itself presuppose he (the attempter) exists on pain of performative self-contradiction (e.g. "I do not exist"). If "the cogito" demonstrates anything it's this: "doubting happens" (not that "the doubter exists").180 Proof
    What gives mental phenomena a special ability to exist without an object, but not physical phenomenon?

Lets compare defartes to descartes
    "A fart, therefore farting happens"
    "A doubt, therefore doubting happens."
    Both are tautologies? Same logical structures?

And

"A fart, therefore an ass"
    "A doubt, therefore a mind"
    These are deductions based on definitions?
    Because a fart is by definition gas that comes from an ass, a fart by definition requires an ass.

How is the relationship between a fart and an ass different than the relationship between a doubt and a mind?
    Why can doubting happen without a mind, while farting can't happen without an ass?

Is it not special pleading?
  • 180 Proof
    You're farting, not thinking. I'll come back when you recognize the difference. :mask:
  • absoluteaspiration
    I find the OP's use of "reality" to be ambiguous. There are alternatives to scientific realism that are compatible with this line of thinking. For the sake of argument, if the mind has an unconscious, the patterns that appear "external" could be caused by repressed primordial traumas in the unconscious.
  • Tate
    "A fart, therefore an ass"Yohan

It depends on your theory of truth. If you require truthmakers, then yes, the ass must exist.

If you don't require truthmakers, say your truth theory leans toward behaviorism, then you can't make existential claims based on true statements.

Do you agree with that?
  • Yohan

It sounds like you are putting the cart before the horse.
    That the territory depends on the map.
    That if my map says that a map maker is required, then it is required
    And if my map doesn't say that a map maker is required, my map can exist without a maker.

We theorise to try and understand. So "my theory of truth" is basically my current understanding of truth. Understanding doesn't determine what is the truth.

On the other hand, we do need to be clear what we are talking about by truth. Do we mean the map or the territory?
    And map vs territory confusion can be the most problematic thing. Every philosophic and religious conflict may be said to be conflicts over differing maps. Putting the map over the territory is Idolatry and superstition.
    What is the territory? What exists beyond our maps?
  • Tate
    That the territory depends on the map.Yohan

I think of a truth theory as a choice that has implications. The truth theory you're using, which is along the lines of correspondence theory, is what the average intelligent person acts on. That is, if there is a deer track, there was a deer who made it. If there is a thought, there is a mind the thought is a part of, or however you want to put it.

As phenomenology, correspondence works, but that defangs it in terms of existential claims. If we want to take a stronger, more realist approach, then we've strayed into Tractacus territory, which explains the fatal flaw in correspondence theory: that we're trying to take a picture of the camera we're using to take the picture.

Behaviorism is just ridiculous, but people adhere to it for various ridiculous reasons, none of which are very interesting.
  • Pie
    What gives mental phenomena a special ability to exist without an object, but not physical phenomenon?Yohan

The point, as I see it, is that Descartes is supposed to start with nothing. He takes some concept of the self for granted, missing or choosing to ignore how problematic that is. He also takes language for granted. Somehow this reasoning voice whose body may be a dream can safely be taken for granted. It sounds more like a Beckett play than a metaphysical foundation. The way to fix this, saving what it gets right about that voice, is to scrap the absurd solitude (because the self makes no sense without a non-self) and discuss our communal commitment to rationality above all things. Descartes set a weird but still legible example of striving toward presuppositionlessness, which is a flavor of autonomy.

it is requisite to reason’s lawgiving that it should need to presuppose only itself, because a rule is objectively and universally valid only when it holds without the contingent, subjective conditions that distinguish one rational being from another. (5:21)

Reason must subject itself to critique in all its undertakings, and cannot restrict the freedom of critique through any prohibition without damaging itself and drawing upon itself a disadvantageous suspicion. For there is nothing so important because of its utility, nothing so holy, that it may be exempted from this searching review and inspection, which knows no respect for persons [i.e. does not recognize any person as bearing more authority than any other—GW]. On this freedom rests the very existence of reason, which has no dictatorial authority, but whose claim is never anything more than the agreement of free citizens, each of whom must be able to express his reservations, indeed even his veto, without holding back. (A738f/B766f, translation slightly modified)

To think for oneself Kant describes as the maxim of unprejudiced thought; its opposite is passivity or heteronomy in thought, leading to prejudice and superstition.[25] To think in the place of everyone else is the maxim of enlarged or broad-minded thought. And always to think in accord with oneself is the maxim of consistent thought (5:294). Although the last maxim sounds more straightforward, Kant is careful to emphasize its difficulty: it “can only be achieved through the combination of the first two and after frequent observance of them has made them automatic” (5:295). Consistency does not just involve getting rid of obvious contradictions in our explicit beliefs. It also requires consistency with regard to all the implications of our beliefs—and these are often not apparent to us. To achieve this sort of law-likeness in thought depends both on the genuine attempt to judge for oneself and the determination to expose one’s judgments to the scrutiny of others. In other words, it involves regarding oneself, first, as the genuine author of one’s judgments, and second, as accountable to others. As we might also say, it represents a determination to take responsibility for one’s judgments.
    https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/kant-reason/
  • Pie
    What is the territory? What exists beyond our maps?Yohan

The territory might just be that our maps aren't ever exhaustive or entirely trustworthy. Let's say that the territory is all true statements. Let's say our maps are our beliefs. Unlike the analogy might suggest, the territory and map are both made of assertions. Our maps are our best guesses about the territory, beliefs we have reason to hope are true. This approach does conform to the analogy when we reflect that we never bother to create enough beliefs to match the presumably infinite size of the territory. There are many truths we'll never care about, like the number of electrons in a particular transistor at a particular instant.
  • Yohan
    The truth theory you're using, which is along the lines of correspondence theory, is what the average intelligent person acts on.Tate
    "Correspondence theory of truth" is the positive version of the same law, the law of non-contradiction.
    I fail to see how its a theory.
    Can you give an example of where "You are right/wrong" means something other than correspondence/non-correspondence?
    I can accept that correspondence isn't sufficient for truth, but not that it isn't necessary.

A trap in philosophy and is getting so tangled up in theory and language that all we have is an infinite regress of maps referring to other maps, and reality attaining the status of myth and legend.
  • Tate
    "Correspondence theory of truth" is the positive version of the same law, the law of non-contradiction.
    I fail to see how its a theory.
    Yohan

It's a definition of truth. It's not of version of the LONC.

Can you give an example of where "You are right/wrong" means something other than correspondance/non-correspindance?
    I can accept that correspondence isn't sufficient for truth, but not that it isn't necessary
    Yohan

It does seem pretty basic, I agree. You can look at people as if they're monkeys who communicate through chirps and screams. None of it really means anything. It's just sounds that are made according to a protocol. This is a more externalist/behaviorist approach. People embrace it because they think it frees them of religion and mysticism.
  • Pie
    You can look at people as if they're monkeys who communicate through chirps and screams. None of it really means anything. It's just sounds that are made according to a protocol.Tate

I also like to zoom out and think in terms of chirps and screams. Perhaps the protocol is the meaning. This protocol swells and becomes self-referential, until it can talk about itself as chirps and screams governed by evolving norms (a protocol).
  • Pie
    A trap in philosophy and is getting so tangled up in theory and language that all we have is an infinite regress of maps referring to other maps, and reality attaining the status of myth and legend.Yohan

:up:

Good point. Another trap, though, is simply giving up on the labor of clarifying concepts. No one cares if the Target cashier has strong account of truth or justice.
  • Pie
    Behaviorism is just ridiculous, but people adhere to it for various ridiculous reasons, none of which are very interesting.Tate

You then go on to talk of chirps and screams that mean nothing ?

Behaviorism has its heart in the right place.
  • Tate
    Behaviorism has its heart in the right place.Pie

It's a thesis that announces "I'm meaningless!"

It's just stupid.
  • Tate
    This protocol swells and becomes self-referential, until it can talk about itself as chirps and screams governed by evolving norms (a protocol).Pie

Is this a Lovecraft story? :grimace:
  • Pie

I think you have a cartoon of it in mind ? This cartoon is often invoked by mystics or mysterions.

Here's one take on the real thing.

Wilfred Sellars (1912–89), the distinguished philosopher, noted that a person may qualify as a behaviorist, loosely or attitudinally speaking, if they insist on confirming “hypotheses about psychological events in terms of behavioral criteria” (1963, p. 22). A behaviorist, so understood, is someone who demands behavioral evidence for any psychological hypothesis. For such a person, there is no knowable difference between two states of mind (beliefs, desires, etc.) unless there is a demonstrable difference in the behavior associated with each state. Consider the current belief of a person that it is raining. If there is no difference in his or her behavior between believing that it is raining and believing that it is not raining, there is no grounds for attributing the one belief rather than the other. The attribution is empirically empty or unconstrained.
    https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/behaviorism/
  • Pie
    Is this a Lovecraft story?Tate

You are chirping and squeaking about chirps and squeaks here. Talk about talk about talk.

Only as weird or unweird as life itself.
  • Tate
    You are chirping and squeaking about chirps and squeaks here. Talk about talk about talk.Pie

The chirps aren't about anything. They're just chirps.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.