• dimosthenis9
    However, I do not think relations are strictly fundamental in the sense that they depend on variety while the opposite I think is not logicalDaniel

Could you explain that a little more? You mean that as relations to exist, it first presupposes "things" to exist as to get related? That's why you think variety of things more fundamental?
  • dimosthenis9
    For me, certainty in a rational sense should leave no room for doubt (like a properly constructed logical argument for instance) and since we have two possibilities it might not be true, I wouldn't commit to it.Benkei

Yeah it is at best a very good speculation, but still that doesn't make it certainty.
  • dimosthenis9
    Our brains clearly can't match up to the task at handAgent Smith

So you think that we are condemned to uncertainty about the general picture? I don't want to admit it but it might probably be the case.
  • Agent Smith
    So you think that we are condemned to uncertainty about the general picture? I don't want to admit it but it might probably be the case.dimosthenis9

Truth is I haven't really done my homework on the subject to make any definitive claims; so cum grano salis with regard to my statements. Agrippa's/Münchhausen's trilemma are knockout punches to any and all forms of dogmatism. I'll leave it at that for now. Still working on it; all in good time I suppose!
  • Pantagruel
    I would like to hear the facts/things/ideas/rules(name it whatever you want) that you think that apply in universe/cosmos and that we (as humans) can be sure about them.dimosthenis9

What you do matters.
  • dimosthenis9
    What you do matters.Pantagruel

You mean in relation with others as society or that our actions matter even in universal function? If yes in what way?
  • Pantagruel
    I mean in the context of a comprehensive naturalism. Consciousness is part of a universal feedback system. The effects of your choices are real.
  • dimosthenis9

Ok got it now where you stand.I can't say that I m in agreement with your statement, though consciousness fascinates me the most.It is a great mystery and as to be honest I would really wish consciousness to play some universal feedback role as you mention.
    I have thought about that too and it's my "secret hope" but I have to be honest with myself and admit that there isn't any evidence at all for that. So far at least. So it's far from considering it as a sure thing.
  • Pantagruel
    have thought about that too and it's my "secret hope" but I have to be honest with myself and admit that there isn't any evidence at all for that.dimosthenis9

If there is "evidence" for anything (i.e. evidence has a cognitive and empirical value) then evidence is evidence of the naturalistic role of consciousness....
  • Ciceronianus
    So you think that we are condemned to uncertainty about the general picture? I don't want to admit it but it might probably be the case.dimosthenis9

Do you really think that if we're not absolutely certain about something we're uncertain about it, i.e. that we can't rely on it, that we're doubtful about it, that it's unknown? I wonder how you live if that's the case. Are you God, or perhaps a good friend of His, to invoke absolutes?
  • dimosthenis9
    Do you really think that if we're not absolutely certain about something we're uncertain about it, i.e. that we can't rely on it, that we're doubtful about it, that it's unknown?Ciceronianus

That is the case indeed, either you like it or not.

I wonder how you live if that's the case. Are you God, or perhaps a good friend of His, to invoke absolutes?Ciceronianus

I just try to learn how to swim into chaos.That's all. Not easy though.
    Or else I would have to grab tightly from a lie, which I don't want to do so, nor developing any close relationship with God and His friends is in my plans either.
  • dimosthenis9
    then evidence is evidence of the naturalistic role of consciousnessPantagruel

Yet still though isn't an evidence for its universal feedback role.
  • T Clark
    At most, IME, Descartes only "proved" cogitatio fit, ergo cogitatio est, not that "I exist".180 Proof

I think, therefore my thought exists (Is that right?)
    If my thought exists, I exist
    Cogito ergo sum

Cogito ergo sum
    If a person with Cotard's syndrome doubts she exists, she thinks
    Therefore, if I think I don't exist, I exist.
  • Jerry
    The curious thing to me about the cogito, which is somewhat inferred in my answer, is the observation that our senses can be deceived. Firstly, doesn't that presuppose that we know something, that reality can differ from our perception? But more importantly, I question why this deception disproves all but the mind's existence. In the case of a mirage, for instance, even if there is no oasis, there's still something producing the illusion of the oasis. So it seems to me that, while we can't know if what our senses are producing are the reality or an illusion, we can at least be sure that there is something eluding us (I think that's the wrong word but oh well).

But consider the idea that our experience might be illusory, that is, everything we know about the world we live in isn't reality proper (for example a hologram or mischievous devil or whatnot). Does that mean we don't know anything, what we experience is false or that nothing truly does exist besides our minds? I don't think so. Even if that's all true, I think that the very fact that we experience the illusion makes the illusion as real as any other reality. I'll suffice to say that it's because existence isn't isolated to one notion of ultimate reality, but baked into the relationships between things. So the very fact that there is an illusion I experience makes us "real".

That's kind of a mouthful, so I'll stop before my reasoning becomes (more?) convoluted.
  • Alkis Piskas

1. There are no Absolute Truths
    2. There are no Absolute Truths
  • dimosthenis9
    So it seems to me that, while we can't know if what our senses are producing are the reality or an illusion, we can at least be sure that there is something eluding usJerry

Yeah we might not know for sure what is the exact form of what is presented to us by our senses but we can be sure St least that there is "something" indeed.
    The form that this something is presented to us is one of the forms indeed that it can be presented. But what other forms it can take or what is the actual form of it (if there is only one) or if there is something more in it, we can never be sure about it.
  • javi2541997
    There are no Absolute TruthsAlkis Piskas

No? Are you really sure?
    I think death is an absolute truth. Sooner or later it comes to us and is unstoppable. So, we can consider the act of born, live and die as absolute truths.
  • dimosthenis9

Fair enough. Though it could also count for an absolute truth itself
  • Agent Smith
    What's an absolute truth? :chin:
  • dimosthenis9

Something that can't be doubted. That is an undeniable fact and can be totally sure about it. But cause such kind of truths with universal application are extremely debatable. I wanna know what each person individually consider as "absolute truths".
  • Gregory

An absolute truth is a thought that accords with reality. I guess a solipsist wouldn't have truth, but if there is more than oneself, truth is when you know something about it. I guess it's also true that truth about yourself, even if you are sovereign, and all alone, is possible in that the thought would accurately understand the self, instead of having a delusion of some sort
  • Gregory

If someone is evil, he can be sure about that even if he tries to hide it from himself. Sartre on bad faith
  • dimosthenis9

Instinctually he knows it indeed. I agree.
  • Pantagruel
    Yet still though isn't an evidence for its universal feedback role.dimosthenis9

See, and I thought that is exactly what my statement describes.
  • Ciceronianus
    Do you really think that if we're not absolutely certain about something we're uncertain about it, i.e. that we can't rely on it, that we're doubtful about it, that it's unknown?
    — Ciceronianus

That is the case indeed, either you like it or not.
    dimosthenis9

So you doubted you were posting your response to my post when you responded? You were unsure you were doing so--perhaps because you were uncertain you were typing on or using whatever device you used? Or is the fact you responded, and used whatever you used to do so, examples of absolute truths?

Do you doubt you're reading this, or that there is something to be read?
  • Agent Smith
    what each person individually consider as "absolute truths".dimosthenis9

Isn't that kinda shooting yourself in the foot?
  • Agent Smith

The negation of there are no truths is an absolute truth! :snicker:
  • dimosthenis9
    So you doubted you were posting your response to my post when you responded? You were unsure you were doing so--perhaps because you were uncertain you were typing on or using whatever device you used? Or is the fact you responded, and used whatever you used to do so, examples of absolute truths?

Do you doubt you're reading this, or that there is something to be read?
    Ciceronianus

No I don't doubt at all to any of all these you mentioned and I wonder how you get that idea. Weird. All these though are human concepts that have nothing to do with universal function.

I just doubt that we can have any kind of certainty so far about the function of the universe. And if we ever be able to actually see the bigger picture.
    All of what is stated already from the very first post of that thread.
  • Alkis Piskas
    Are you really sure?javi2541997
    Would I have claimed it otherwise? :grin:

I think death is an absolute truth.javi2541997
    Right. You think. Isn't that subjective? An "absolute truth" --if it existed-- would be objective, wouldn't it? "Truths" are created by humans. Hence they are always subjective. Even if most people agree to something, i.e. there is a consensus, a common agreement abiut it, this something will still be subjective, simply because it has been created someone.

Yet, there's a paradox in my previous reply. Can you find what? (It's easy now that I have pointed it out,)
  • dimosthenis9

No I don't see it that way at all. Each of us has his own truths which consider them as undeniable. I don't see any harm at sharing them with others.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.