• javi2541997
    Cognitions, subcognitions and metacognitions.180 Proof

:up: :100:
  • Agent Smith
    Cognitions, subcognitions and metacognitions.180 Proof

How do you know that these are not just what the mind does like how I eat, work, sleep, etc.? Good question? :snicker:
  • 180 Proof
    Dumb question. :sweat:
    A mind (i.e. minding) is what a sufficiently complex brain does. That's how I know (re: cog-sci master's degree). Read D. Kahneman. Ciao. :yawn:
  • Agent Smith
    Dumb question. :sweat:
    A mind (i.e. minding) is what a sufficiently complex brain does. That's how I know (re: cog-sci master's degree). Read D. Kahneman. Ciao. :yawn:
    180 Proof

I see; so if I drive, play golf ( :grin: ) and eat pizza, I'm 3 people? :sweat:
  • 180 Proof
    Yeah, you don't see.
  • Agent Smith
    Yeah, you don't see180 Proof

:up:
  • Agent Smith
    cog-sci master's degree180 Proof

Wonderful! Which year, if I may be so bold as to inquire?
  • Pantagruel
    I recently read a book that extensively discussed consciousness in the context of brain injuries. In certain types of hemispherical injuries, a person will be unaware of an object with senses tied to the damaged hemisphere, but accurately aware of the object with senses tied to the other. There is the phrase "to be of two minds." There is also a book called "The origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind" that discusses the role of the corpus callosum in communicating between and uniting the left and right hemispheres.

So, I would have to say pretty conclusively that the mind is a complex entity, i.e. composed of multiple components. And the evidence suggests that it is, in some sense, divisible.
  • 180 Proof
    1995, University of Minnesota.
  • Agent Smith
    1995, University of Minnesota180 Proof

:up: Good to know there are highly qualified folks around here!
  • EricH

This has to be one of the best ripostes ever.
  • Varde
    Minds can be divided from a intrapersonal (among the populus of others) degree, it cannot be from ones own perspective. Per se, the zone of seeing is non conventional - doesn't move per our own discomfort-m - but when imagining unto another, it can be divided into sectors. You can even do yourself via an intrapersonal-outlook. Mind can be divided, but not personal experience of mind.

Nor can it be divided evenly, only through sectors and sphering can a even mind division be achieved.
  • Agent Smith
    If the mind's divisble...
  • unenlightened
    If the mind is divisible, show me the pieces its divided into!Agent Smith

I want to stop smoking.
    I want a cigarette.

I don't want to live.
    I am afraid to die.

Any other internal conflict, ie any cause of stress. Stress, physically, is nothing other than 2 or more opposing forces in stasis. Muscle tension opposes gravity to enable one to stand. Mental stress presupposes parts of the mind.
  • Nikita
    I think Buddhism has a very nice take on the topic. It argues that the mind isn't actually a thing, but a process. So it's less of an apple, but more of a flame. So you can't really have half a process.
  • praxis
    It's indivisible. Half a mind makes no sense. Half a banana, yes. Half a sandwich, yes. Half a mind, no - incoherentBartricks

SRECiGdPSyaum7JeLPaQfQ-1200-80.jpg
  • Bartricks
    That's half a brain. Brains can be halved. Minds can't be halved. Minds are therefore not brains
  • praxis
    That's half a brain. Brains can be halved. Minds can't be halved. Minds are therefore not brainsBartricks

If I may utilize your fine logic, half a banana is still a banana.
  • Bartricks
    Yes, you can have half a banana, but not half a mind. Therefore minds are not bananas. Shall we run through every single extended thing you can conceive of?
  • TiredThinker

What is the mind made of that it can't be divided?
  • 180 Proof
    I don't know of any limit to divisibility except fundamental planck units. "Mind" is a classical phenomenon, ergo divisible. As and others have pointed out, "mind" consists of conflicting / divergent impulses & processes. Bratshitz is just talking out of his incorrigibly uninformed, crypto-Thomistic, D-K bunghole again. :eyes:
  • praxis
    Shall we run through every single extended thing you can conceive of?Bartricks

Okay. Going alphabetically, what comes after banana?
  • Bartricks
    The only extended thing that begins with a b that you can conceive of is a banana?
    I don't know what you can conceive of as I so not have access to the content of your mind, so you need to tell me what comes next. But it will be divisible and thus won't be a mind.
  • Bartricks
    Itself. Indivisible things are called 'simples' and they are not made of anything more basic than themselves.
    Not everything can be made of other things. So there must be some simples from which all else is made. And it would seem we ourselves are simples.
  • praxis
    The only extended thing that begins with a b that you can conceive of is a banana?Bartricks

How about boner.
  • Bartricks
    Divisible. Therefore one's mind is not a boner.
  • Daniel

I have to ask; how the fuck do you divide a boner?
  • praxis

Daniel raises a salient point; how does one maintain a erection after a boner is divided?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.