• ucarr
    Okay. We all know people can change, however, you view self as tilting towards stability & permanence.

Is it correct to characterize you as being conservative?
  • baker
    Okay. We all know people can change, however, you view self as tilting towards stability & permanence.ucarr

The things that change about a person are not the self. The skin is not the self, the muscles, the skeleton, the body fat are not the self, the name is not the self, the clothes are not the self, the ideas the person entertains are not the self, the money the person posesses is not the self, etc. etc.

Is it correct to characterize you as being conservative?

The people who consider themselves conservatives typically do not consider me conservative.
  • ucarr
    Do you align yourself with any position on the political spectrum ranging from radical to ultra conservative?

Of what does the self consist?
  • baker
    Do you align yourself with any position on the political spectrum ranging from radical to ultra conservative?ucarr

No.

Of what does the self consist?

That's what I've been asking you, since you're the one who brought it up.

I'm saying what the self can't possibly be. A triangle cannot be a circle. Identity is something which, by definition, has to be stable, permanent, or it isn't identity.
  • ucarr
    Do you give credence to the concept of soul? If you do, might that be a candidate for self?

Do you discover what's extant by determining what cannot be eliminated?
  • baker
    Do you give credence to the concept of soul?ucarr

No.

Do you discover what's extant by determining what cannot be eliminated?

In some cases, yes. Selfhood is one such example.
  • ucarr
    Of what does the self consist?.ucarr

That's what I've been asking you, since you're the one who brought it up.

I'm saying what the self can't possibly be. A triangle cannot be a circle. Identity is something which, by definition, has to be stable, permanent, or it isn't identity..
    baker

Self – The enduring, discernibly consistent POV of a sentient being.ucarr
  • Agent Smith
    Nietzsche's übermenschen goal is meant for everybody! It doesn't defend slavery; how can something meant for all be applied only to some?
12345Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet