• Jackson
    I didn't ask why people ask it. I'm asking what they are saying, or assuming, when asking. Again, what is meaning?Harry Hindu

I answered it. You did not understand it. Look, I am tired of the hostility on this forum, ok?
  • Harry Hindu
    If you answered it point me to where you answered it. If you think asking questions is a form of hostility then maybe you shouldn't participate on a philosophy forum.
  • universeness
    Again, what is meaning?Harry Hindu

Have you not suggested an answer yourself. Meaning is a human measure of significance. A measure of profundity, which has a range from low to high, small to big!
  • Jackson
    If you answered it point me to where you answered it. If you think asking questions is a form of hostility then maybe you shouldn't participate on a philosophy forum.Harry Hindu

I think you do not know what cause and effect means. You confuse cause with meaning. I think you would flunk an intro philosophy class. Your questions are formal and show lack of understanding.
  • Jackson
    Have you not suggested an answer yourself. Meaning is a human measure of significance. A measure of profundity, which has a range from low to high, small to big!universeness

Yes, he clearly did not comprehend.
  • Harry Hindu
    Have you not suggested an answer yourself.universeness

That depends on how you define meaning. If meaning is the relationship between cause and effect then meaning is innate to the universe. In asking what the meaning of life is you are asking what caused life to exist and what purpose (which is just another type of cause as a prediction of future states based on one's goal in the present (final cause)) it has.Harry Hindu

Meaning is a human measure of significance. A measure of profundity, which has a range from low to high, small to big!universeness
    Then meaning is equivalent to value? Each human places varying degrees of value on different things, therefore meaning cannot be something objective and asking others what the meaning of life is would be useless. You would never need to ask the question of others.
  • Jackson
    Then meaning is equivalent to value?Harry Hindu

Yes, took you a long time to figure that out.
  • Jackson
    Each human places varying degrees of value on different things, therefore meaning cannot be something objective and asking others what the meaning of life is would be useless.Harry Hindu

That is just your subjective opinion.
  • Harry Hindu
    I think you do not know what cause and effect means. You confuse cause with meaning. I think you would flunk an intro philosophy class. Your questions are formal and show lack of understanding.Jackson
    Ad hominems and intellectual dishonesty are not an argument against anything that I have said. You would flunk a class in logic.
  • Jackson
    Ad hominems and intellectual dishonesty are not an argument against anything that I have said. You would flunk a class in logic.Harry Hindu

No, I do very well in logic.
  • Harry Hindu
    That is just your subjective opinion.Jackson
    All you have to do is watch the news to see that the value of human life varies from individual to individual. Why don't you go ask a serial killer what the meaning of life is.
  • Jackson
    All you have to do is watch the news to see that the value of human life varies from individual to individual.Harry Hindu

What news show are you referring to? Is this another opinion with no evidence presented again?
  • Jackson
    Why don't you go ask a serial killer what the meaning of life is.Harry Hindu

Why would I want to do that?
  • Harry Hindu
    You edited your post where you seemed to disagree that value is subjective. I can't have an intellectual discussion with someone who changes their posts in the middle of the discussion.
  • Jackson
    You edited your post where you seemed to disagree that value is subjective.Harry Hindu

I post the relevant information. Something any philosopher knows how to do.
  • Harry Hindu
    Why would I want to do that?Jackson

Why wouldn't you want to do that?
  • universeness
    Then meaning is equivalent to value? Each human places varying degrees of value on different things, therefore meaning cannot be something objective and asking others what the meaning of life is would be useless. You would never need to ask the question of othersHarry Hindu

It's a personal value measure, yes, it's subjective, yes. Seeking personal meaning may be objectively true. I suppose you would have to see how many dissent from that before you could declare 'seeking meaning' to be objective. I don't think it's useless to ask others about their measures of meaning as it can help you judge what kind of relationship you might establish with them.
  • Jackson
    Why wouldn't you want to do that?Harry Hindu

It is your issue not mine.
  • Harry Hindu
    It's a personal value measure, yes, it's subjective, yes. Seeking personal meaning may be objectively true. I suppose you would have to see how many dissent from that before you could declare 'seeking meaning' to be objective. I don't think it's useless to ask others about their measures of meaning as it can help you judge what kind of relationship you might establish with them.universeness
    If 'seeking meaning' is seeking value then what makes a life valuable if not the effects it has on the world?
  • Jackson
    If 'seeking meaning' is seeking value then what makes a life valuable if not the effects it has on the world?Harry Hindu

That sentence made no sense.
  • Harry Hindu
    It is your issue not mine.Jackson
    No, it's yours as you are the one that thinks that value and meaning are objective. If that were the case then a serial killer's values and meanings would be shared by you.

That sentence made no sense.Jackson
    I'm no longer interested in what you think.
  • Jackson
    No, it's yours as you are the one that thinks that value and meaning are objective.Harry Hindu

I never said that.
  • universeness
    If 'seeking meaning' is seeking value then what makes a life valuable if not the effects it has on the world?Harry Hindu

Indeed. But others judge your 'meaning' or 'value' to the world or to their individual lives. You have the 'reluctant' hero, you have the 'good guy' in public who can be abusive to family members and a large myriad of other flavours also exist but I do think all humans seek meaning.
  • Jackson
    I'm no longer interested in what you think.Harry Hindu

If you think asking questions is a form of hostility then maybe you shouldn't participate on a philosophy forum.
  • Harry Hindu
    Indeed. But others judge your 'meaning' or 'value' to the world or to their individual lives.universeness
    How is this any different from saying that others judge your 'meaning/value' based on your effects on the world and their individual lives? Meaning and one's judgement of it are mutually exclusive. Meaning exists where ever causes leave effects. Any judgement of those effects is based on one's individual goals. So in judging some meaning to be bad or good, they are projecting their own wants and needs on to meaning that already exists as inherent in the universe

I do think all humans seek meaninguniverseness
    Right. So meaning is something that exists prior to seeking it as it is something that is looked for and found in nature, and not created by the mind. Not all meaning is useful to one's life, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't exist apart from your own wants and needs.
  • Jackson
    Meaning exists where ever causes leave effects.Harry Hindu

Where is your proof of that? Just asking you a question.
  • Harry Hindu
    Where is your proof of that? Just asking you a question.Jackson
    In the definition I have provided for meaning as the relationship between cause and effect. The definition I have provided stems from my own observations of others asking questions about what something means and what they actually mean in asking what something means is what caused it to happen.

For instance, what do your words on this page mean? They mean your ideas and your intent to communicate them. If you didn't have any ideas or an intent to communicate them (the cause), would your worlds appear on this screen (the effect) for me to observe and read them? In reading your words (the effect) am I not attempting to get at your ideas (the cause)?
  • universeness
    How is this any different from saying that others judge your 'meaning/value' based on your effects on the world and their individual lives?Harry Hindu

Its not different really but it is down to their interpretation of the 'effect' you have had on THE world or THEIR world. Which can be very different from your own personal assessment of your effects.
    The OP was suggesting that life was meaningless. I think even the simple acrimony that discussion about the meaning of life can cause is itself strong evidence that living a life is anything but meaningless and that legacy is very important to many, if not most people.

Not all meaning is useful to one's life, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't exist apart from your own wants and needs.Harry Hindu

Does this also indicate that you think some meaning is useful to ones life?
  • 180 Proof
    Memento mori, memento vivere. :fire:
    1. What causes a turn from distraction to facing the meaninglessness of human existence?Tate
    Nothing distracts one from one's distractions. Ultimately, "meaninglessness" is just another distraction.

2. How do you personally deal with it?
    It's meaningless to "deal with it", so I don't.
  • Corvus
    Art, especially music can distract from the pointlessness of existence. But then, even they become pointless in the end.

Maybe death is the only way for total distraction from the the pointlessness of existence.
    Life is presupposed with the pointlessness of existence. It is fundamental fate of life. Life cannot exist without the pointlessness of existence.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.