• Jackson
    For both Plato and Aristotle psychology or matters of character are not separate from but rather a part of philosophy.Fooloso4

Ok, but not my point.
  • Fooloso4
    No, words are not images.Jackson

They are not visual images although something like the image of the cave continues to lead us to create our own images.
  • Jackson
    the image of the cave continues to lead us to create our own images.Fooloso4

Again, do not understand what that means.
  • Jackson
    In the myth of the cave, Plato is describing silhouettes, not images. An object is projected by a light source onto a flat screen.
    Plato in incredibly naive about how images and visual perception works. And I do not mean the neuroscience of perception.
  • Fooloso4
    I agree with Nietzsche regarding the importance of taste for one's philosophy.
    — Fooloso4

I do not understand what you mean.
    Jackson

Your preference for Aristotle based in part on your finding Plato too romantic I take to be a matter of taste.

Ok, but not my point.Jackson

Arrogance is not simply a psychological problem, it is a philosophical problem, it has an influence on our thinking.

In the myth of the cave, Plato is describing silhouettes, not images.Jackson

The cave is said to be "an image of our nature in its education and want of education". (514a)

The shadows on the cave wall are referred to as images. The shadows on the cave wall are also referred to as images. An image is a likeness. We can often tell what a thing is by seeing its shadow because the shadow is a likeness. The cave dwellers mistake these shadow images for the things they are images of. Understandably because all they have ever seen is images or likenesses of things, not the things themselves.

The "image makers" include those who shape public opinion. Homer', for example, gives us images of those who are brave, just, and noble. These images are, for many taken to be what it means to be brave, just, and noble. The poets also gave them their images of the gods, and again, they are not taken to be images but who and what the gods are.
  • Jackson
    Your preference for Aristotle based in part on your finding Plato too romantic I take to be a matter of taste.Fooloso4

I don't. I take it to be about philosophy and truth.
  • Jackson
    The cave is said to be "an image of our nature in its education and want of education". (514a)[/quote]

By image I mean an actual spatial thing. Your sense is also used, but I do not mean it that way.
  • Varde
    My work was very rough, albeit, more than just what and why enquires, but oh well- too late now- guess it's your go.
  • Varde
    I would say that words are a gestalt, to compliment ordinary sign and symbology and propel us into a more futuristic state of being.

I would agree with you- on the face they are images.

When we talk vocally in word it is a reminder of those lines that we had written in school(a a a, b b b...) and our connection to that rotary in the present- it is still an image but a very subliminal one.

There is also a sound aspect to words, the chomping of normal thought frequencies and the placidity of silence in a worded mind; which can be beneficent but my no means should it overtake sign and symbology (it had already but it can be reversed; I'm not saying get rid of words but at least understand their gestalt usage).
  • 180 Proof
    The greatest obstacle to [learning] is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. — Daniel J. Boorstin
    For example . :eyes:
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube