• Varde
    A wise man is boring to someone who is as wise as him; seeding wisdom to and from is intolerable- wisdom is disposable. There is wisdom, but there is also the possibility of greater wisdom; therefore, true wisdom is stillness- quietness- loudness and movement at the right time...

Wisdom is not knowledge, wisdom is above knowledge. Although the sky is blue, there are clouds of acknowledgements that encircle that matter; where it's blueness, it's sky-ness, the fact that it is, and more is accounted. Therefore, wisdom to do with quiddity of objects and subjects, and the quiddity of the why-query.

Why-queries are questions that are often associated with academic philosophy; why-queries are metaphorically, tools that philosophers use to delve deeper into data, allowing them to analyse deep quddity. Sometimes a why-query leads to unfulfilled quiddity that's data is abstruse- quiddity is then reshaped using personal intellect and what-queries.

What-queries are scientific questions; when a philosopher uses them, it's either a pre-scientific experiment to initiate philosophical thought(make sense of full data), or to dissect and reshape quiddity(make sense of partial data).

Wisdom is what philosophy produces using primarily why-queries and secondarily what-queries. What you learned here was science, and not philosophy; in the regard that it was primarily a what-query and secondarily, as of this statement, a why-query.
  • alan1000
    I think this is a very wise analysis.
  • Agent Smith
    As per the Oracle of Delphi and Socrates, the quiddity of wisdom is awareness of (one's own) ignorance. That is, in a modern psychological sense, to possess insight into one's own condition (re temet nosce - know thyself as in know your place).

It is not in my place to comment further.
  • Varde
    beautiful agent Smith, just beautiful. Really cleared things up for me...
  • Agent Smith
    beautiful agent Smith, just beautiful. Really cleared things up for me...Varde

:up:
  • 180 Proof
    When reflectively foolish ...
    to seek what 'the wise' seek: not merely "to be wise", but understanding how to live – judge & practice – less unwisely (especially in circumstances where and when folly – misjudgment & malpractice – is easier180 Proof
    ... like poor Sisyphus' yoga with the boulder .
  • Fooloso4
    As per the Oracle of Delphi and Socrates, the quiddity of wisdom is awareness of (one's own) ignorance.Agent Smith

I think there is more to Socratic ignorance than simply knowing or acknowledging that you are ignorant. The examined life is an inquiry into the question of how best to live in the face of ignorance of what is best.
  • Varde

Yes, nice quote; it outlines understanding of wisdom- he also promotes that it's beneficent with professionally cut examples.

Philosophy is importantrl, especially at the beginning of man. Philosophers should be in the field of experts, and the wisdom they share to changes the world, more than anyone else.
  • Agent Smith
    I think there is more to Socratic ignorance than simply knowing or acknowledging that you are ignorant. The examined life is an inquiry into the question of how best to live in the face of ignorance of what is best.Fooloso4

Nirvana fallacy?
  • Fooloso4
    Nirvana fallacy?Agent Smith

I'm not sure I know what you mean. Despite the mythology of transcendence in the Republic, the Phaedo, and elsewhere, I think Socratic philosophy is grounded in the world of everyday experience.
  • Jackson
    I think Socratic philosophy is grounded in the world of everyday experience.Fooloso4

How does one experience the forms? I can know particular things about justice, but how does one experience the form of justice?
  • 180 Proof
    The examined life is an inquiry into the question of how best to live in the face of ignorance of what is best.Fooloso4
    :fire:
  • Agent Smith
    I'm not sure I know what you mean. Despite the mythology of transcendence in the Republic, the Phaedo, and elsewhere, I think Socratic philosophy is grounded in the world of everyday experience.Fooloso4

Pragmatic philosophy! Yay!
  • Fooloso4
    How does one experience the forms?Jackson

You don't.

I can know particular things about justice, but how does one experience the form of justice?Jackson

Hence Socrates profession of ignorance,
  • Jackson
    Hence Socrates profession of ignorance,Fooloso4

I don't find that inspiring.
  • Fooloso4
    I don't find that inspiring.Jackson

Which do you think is preferable, to think you know what you do not know or to know you are ignorant?
  • Jackson
    Which do you think is preferable, to think you know what you do not know or to know you are ignorant?Fooloso4

False modesty. I know what I know and act on it.
  • jgill
    Not knowing the existence of unknowns can trip one up.
  • Jackson
    Which do you think is preferable, to think you know what you do not know or to know you are ignorant?Fooloso4

My criticism of Plato is that he reduces the universe to knowledge claims. That the universe itself is a form of knoweldge.
  • Tom Storm
    I think there is more to Socratic ignorance than simply knowing or acknowledging that you are ignorant. The examined life is an inquiry into the question of how best to live in the face of ignorance of what is best.Fooloso4

The first part of this is intriguing. Knowing you are ignorant (in the Socratic sense) is more than just passive incomprehension. Is it not also knowing the kinds of questions and matters you are unable to answer or resolve easily for yourself or others? There is insight and depth to this illumminated or educated ignorance that exceeds everyday dimwittery.
  • Fooloso4
    False modesty. I know what I know and act on it.Jackson

Well, it is not false modesty in so far as he attributes ignorance to all of us.

Have you ever changed your mind about anything you regard as just or unjust?

There are many who make the same claim about knowing and acting who claim to know and act on things contrary to you.

Socrates acted in accordance with what seemed to him to be just, but was willing to change his mind given an argument he found persuasive or evidence that he was wrong.

I don't find that inspiring.Jackson

Plato took the problem of inspiration very seriously. Countless people have been drawn to philosophy through Plato's myth of transcendence. Only it would be far less convincing if it were presented as a myth instead of something closer to an initiation into mystical knowledge. That it is a myth is something that many reject. They see it either as a wrong theory or the truth itself.

My criticism of Plato is that he reduces the universe to knowledge claims. That the universe itself is a form of knoweldge.Jackson

I do not think he reduces the world to knowledge claims, but rather, he gives us reason to be skeptical of such claims. The problem is what he calls in the Phaedo, misologic, a hatred of reasoned argument, a form of nihilism. It is to guard against this that he tells stories of transcendent knowledge.But for those who look more closely, he also points to the inadequacy of the Forms.

I have discussed this

Here

and

Here

and elsewhere, including my commentaries on Phaedo

and Euthyphro which is also germane to the problem justice and acting on assumed knowledge.
  • Fooloso4
    Is it not also knowing the kinds of questions and matters you are unable to answer or resolve easily for yourself or others?Tom Storm

I think so. When I was teaching, many students, like Socrates interlocutors,became confused and were aware of their ignorance. But, of course, they were not thereby made as wise as Socrates.
  • Jackson
    Socrates acted in accordance with what seemed to him to be just, but was willing to change his mind given an argument he found persuasive or evidence that he was wrong.Fooloso4

That seems pretty normal.
  • Jackson

I am more Aristotelian. Plato is too romantic and false for me.

And as an artist, Plato's bashing of images is offensive.
  • Fooloso4
    Socrates acted in accordance with what seemed to him to be just, but was willing to change his mind given an argument he found persuasive or evidence that he was wrong.
    — Fooloso4

That seems pretty normal.
    Jackson

But not of one thinks they already know what is and is not just.
  • Jackson
    But not of one thinks they already know what is and is not just.Fooloso4

Arrogance. A psychological problem.
  • Fooloso4
    I am more Aristotelian. Plato is too romantic and false for me.Jackson

I agree with Nietzsche regarding the importance of taste for one's philosophy.

And as an artist, Plato's bashing of images is offensive.Jackson

This must be considered in light of his pervasive use of images.
  • Jackson
    This must be considered in light of his pervasive use of imageFooloso4

No, words are not images.
  • Jackson
    I agree with Nietzsche regarding the importance of taste for one's philosophy.Fooloso4

I do not understand what you mean.
  • Fooloso4
    Arrogance. A psychological problem.Jackson

For both Plato and Aristotle psychology or matters of character are not separate from but rather a part of philosophy.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment