• FlorenceKaia

I feel your experience entirely, and I think you are a marvellous individual. I have the same understanding of having depression, but I continue to view that as a motivation that helps with my studying, work, and ambitions. I think to use whatever bad or good happened to us, or determined to meet us, is a gift. I hope you don't feel too stressed and in pain physically, and I love your ID!
  • Agent Smith
    Tears of Joy (Never, unfortunately, experienced that!).

Paradoxical laughter (Just a normal day in my life).

Extrema (of pleasure & pain) are singularities where the known laws of nature fall apart. Sancta Trinita, Unus Deus (ecstacy/rapture/euphoria) and, at the other end, the :cry: ... :chin:
  • ithinkthereforeidontgiveaf
    I think you are a marvellous individual.FlorenceKaia

Thank you. I don't want to be mean, but why?
    Nothing I have said seem marvelous to me. I just exposed my truth.

I know you are trying to make me feel "better" with your words. There is nothing wrong with that but I have said that I don't like drugs that deal with depression because they alter reality as it is.

That's why I would prefer not to be comforted that way either, with words. I'd rather take this more seriously. Thank you again anyway.

I knew many would take this as an "emotional thread", but that is far from the truth. I wasn't looking for comfort.

Tears of Joy (Never, unfortunately, experienced that!).Agent Smith

I have. Do you like music? It happens to me sometimes when I play some instrument.

Have you heard the Davy Jones song isolated from the movie? It is, in fact, marvelous.
  • FlorenceKaia
    I think you're marvellous because you spoke out what I felt exactly and couldn't get to say before. I often want to show a strong sense of empathy and agreement to express my respect to individuals! I've had severe and constant depression for years, and all I'm afraid of is a stomachache and sometimes headache. I think physical pain is a badass, but the mental pain of depression never exists for me. I enjoy this destiny and use it to better my life and keep myself away from stupid things. Good luck with all...:cheer:

Now I get it. I don't get that kind of messages easily. The price you have to play, I guess.

It's been a while since the last time I had a stomachache because of depression. Now I experience headaches more frequently than before, though. I mostly experience other kinds of somatization, e.g. insomnia, chronic stress...

I would say I suffer mainly from psychological symptoms.

I enjoy this destiny and use it to better my life and keep myself away from stupid things.FlorenceKaia

Very interesting statement.

What an irony. When you suffer from depression, a quote from Schopenhauer materializes itself:

"He who has tried the serious, is no longer interested in the joke."
  • Athena

Greek philosophy is my chosen way out of depression. I do not know how long I was seriously depressed but when it finally ended, like a headache ending, I felt like someone who stepped out of the cave and saw sunshine and a colorful world for the first time. I had really forgotten how it felt to be happy. It was an amazing experience to see the sunshine and all the colors.

We all must go to Hades from time to time to get a sense of meaning but we should never go there without the gods (concepts for living a good life). Without the help of the gods, we get lost in Hades. That is to be depressed or worse, psychotic. At my lowest point, I thought I was possessed by Satan and that he wanted me to kill people. I was really fighting for my sanity and at that point, I had a choice to believe what religion tells us about Satan and demons, or deny that belief and search for truth. I am so glad I discovered the Greeks at this time and began my path of being my own hero.

I had some depression during the shutdown that I think was as useful as you say it is. but I never went far into Hades because I now have the gods to help me find my way back out.

As humans we usually illustrate reality and somehow define and know how to function within that illustration of reality.

You can see it on religion, social movements, philosophies...

When used properly it helps like it helped you out of depression.

But there are lots of kinds of people... I would say I am the kind of human that doesn't easily illustrates reality or gets someone's else illustration.

Not chosen but my only way "out" of depression was and is acceptance.

I just have it and probably will not get literally out of it, but it's not completely bad. If it wasn't for it, I would have not be able to deal with things I dealt with.

I mostly see ironies in this respect.
    To be grateful with depression. What an irony.
  • Athena
    "He who has tried the serious, is no longer interested in the joke."ithinkthereforeidontgiveaf

Man, to not get the joke is a serious problem! When we can no longer laugh at ourselves, we are in deep trouble, and for this reason, I wonder why we hold some philosophers on pedestals. They were seriously troubled men and can take us further into Hades instead of out of it. Comedians are often people who had terrible lives and they learned to use humor to cope with that. Some of them learned to teach us by using humor to make a point. The Greeks had both tragedies and comedies and I think this advanced their intelligence.
    Man, to not get the joke is a serious problem! When we can no longer laugh at ourselves, we are in deep trouble, and for this reason, I wonder why we hold some philosophers on pedestals. They were seriously troubled men and can take us further into Hades instead of out of it. Comedians are often people who had terrible lives and they learned to use humor to cope with that. Some of them learned to teach us by using humor to make a point. The Greeks had both tragedies and comedies and I think this advanced their intelligence.Athena

I don't disagree with that.

I laugh a lot daily. I find most things funny.

However there are stupid things one can do. It is better to be serious and laugh than to laugh because of being stupid, so to speak.
  • Athena
    As humans we usually illustrate reality and somehow define and know how to function within that illustration of reality.

You can see it on religion, social movements, philosophies...

When used properly it helps like it helped you out of depression.

But there are lots of kinds of people... I would say I am the kind of human that doesn't easily illustrates reality or gets someone's else illustration.

Not chosen but my only way "out" of depression was and is acceptance.

I just have it and probably will not get literally out of it, but it's not completely bad. If it wasn't for it, I would have not be able to deal with things I dealt with.

I mostly see ironies in this respect.
    To be grateful with depression. What an irony.
    ithinkthereforeidontgiveaf

One of my best friends seems to have spent his life in depression. He makes me laugh a lot and when I laugh he smiles. For a moment he sticks his head out of the cave and sees all the beautiful colors. He has traveled the world and knows a lot so I really like to visit with him and learn what knows, but I don't think I would want to live with him and deal with his depression daily.

On the other hand, I totally got my own moments of depression during the lockdown were helpful. It is easier to stay home and attempt to amuse myself when I don't want to go do things. How about moderation? I would not want to be carefree during a pandemic and to become part of the problem, being exposed, being infected, and spreading it to others. Perhaps becoming a burden on the medical system. Or how about being euphoric and spending too much money?! :gasp: Been there done that. Coffee can unbalance my judgment. :lol: I believe the Greeks expressed the importance of being balanced.

I think you are saying something important when you speak of not getting someone else's point of view. Being sensitive to other points of view might be very important to getting out of oneself and seeing the bigger picture?
  • Hillary
    Man, to not get the joke is a serious problem! When we can no longer laugh at ourselves, we are in deep troubleAthena

I completely agree! @ithinkthereforeidontgiveaf is too serious. He/she (though I think it's a he, who like fires more often than women) knows what's coming before and to take your depression seriously is kindof disturbing. I took it seriously too because I had too. Couldn't escape it. But people taking their worldviews or objective realities too seriously was exactly one of the reasons for the depression in the first place.
    think you are saying something important when you speak of not getting someone else's point of view. Being sensitive to other points of view might be very important to getting out of oneself and seeing the bigger picture?Athena

I didn't mean that. What I meant is that I don't like to see things from the point of view of a certain school of thought. Every aspect of life is different.

I absolutely like to know what other people think about things. I just don't like when that opinion is another opinion, not individually thought by that particular person, but just a respected therefore repeated opinion from someone/something else than himself/herself.

That is the reason I made this thread.

moderationAthena

Moderation... I think it is important when you are reasoning something. It gives you justice and the impartiality needed for one to reach truth.

However there is a difference between sadness and depression.

The shutdown, evidently caused you sadness, but not depression.

Depression makes you see things differently. It is not just a feeling of sadness. In fact, you rarely feel sad. Sadness is not the most common symptom of depression, I would say.

I insist it affects different people differently, but for me, for example, I don't usually feel sadness itself. For example, you see joy differently; when I was a child I remember really experiencing joy. There is no longer a meaning in joy, the idea of it disturbs me instead. Although you tend to pleasure at the same time.

The solution itself for depression is moderation, that is right. The problem is that it is logically equivalent to say that the solution to poverty is wealth.

is too serious.Hillary

Thank you. I took this as a compliment. You made my week.

who like fires more often than womenHillary

I really like fire. It is one of the most beautiful things on earth... but not more beautiful than women are.

I think you are confusing to be against feminism with to be against women.

Without women, the world would be uglier, grayer and colder. Even with fire in it. However that does not mean that a movement that not even favor them but serves as political campaign based on social inequality shouldn't be burnt to ashes (figuratively speaking. Or maybe not so figuratively).

take your depression seriously is kindof disturbing.Hillary

As said above there are lots of kinds of people... more serious... less serious...
    Each one has its punishment and its prize.
  • Hillary
    I really like fire. It is one of the most beautiful things on earth... but not more beautiful than women are.ithinkthereforeidontgiveaf

You must have liked the flames rising to the nose of Joan of Arc...
  • Hillary
    As a said above there are lots of kinds of people... more serious... less serious...ithinkthereforeidontgiveaf

Yeah, allright. But do you actually like being depressed? No, of course not. How can you? You are depressed.
    You must have liked the flames rising to the nose of Joan of Arc...Hillary

I don't know if I have to take this as a joke or an accusation.
    I will just say that I can't think of someone sexier than Joan of Arc right now.
    Talking seriously... I like flames in every state of their existence. They make disgrace seem beautiful.
    If I'm able to endure the pain, I think that to be burnt alive would be a glorious death.
    Most great people in the past were burn in flames. Like Giordano Bruno.

But do you actually like being depressed?Hillary

Yes.

How can you?Hillary

Nothing can be worse. Anything else is profit.
  • Hillary
    If I'm able to endure the pain, I think that to be burnt alive would be a glorious deathithinkthereforeidontgiveaf

You'll only know when you try...

Talking seriously... I like flames in every state of their existence. They make disgrace seem beautiful.ithinkthereforeidontgiveaf

It can't be denied that there is beauty in licking flames.

Most great people in the past were burn in flames. Like Giordano Bruno.ithinkthereforeidontgiveaf

I'm not sure if most where, but some indeed. You're born in the wrong era, my friend.

But do you actually like being depressed?
    — Hillary

Yes.

I'm not sure it's a depression then. I hated it when morning arrived and I was confronted with the beast!

How can you?
    — Hillary

Nothing can be worse. Anything else is profit.

Ah, yes. That's true. Being in a manic up can only lead to falling down. But the height feels great!
    You're born in the wrong era, my friend.Hillary

I am definitely born in the right era.
    The world is always full of chaos, what difference would the era make?
    By the way, who doesn't like chaos?

I'm not sure it's a depression then.Hillary

Then I am either a god or a monster.
    I don't believe in gods.

Being in a manic up can only lead to falling down. But the height feels great!Hillary

I didn't say I was going to get that profit.

Do you know what is better than hitting rock bottom, Hillary? Staying there. Specially if it's forever, and more specially if you know it.
    In fact you might even break ground and discover gold. Or more fire. Both would be amazing discoveries.
  • Tom Storm
    By the way, who doesn't like chaos?ithinkthereforeidontgiveaf

I don't. I like calm predictability and boredom.
    predictability and boredom.Tom Storm

I can't imagine a more chaotic nature than it is of boredom.
    Not to mention predictability.

I thought I liked chaos, but you have passed my limit.
  • Hillary
    I am definitely born in the right era.ithinkthereforeidontgiveaf

Yes, I think so too. The world never saw before so many fires as these days. Man-induced chaos rules supreme. Heaven for you!

By the way, who doesn't like chaos?ithinkthereforeidontgiveaf

I like chaos, but not the one you talk about! Makes me depressed.

I'm not sure it's a depression then.
    — Hillary

Then I am either a god or a monster.
    I don't believe in gods.

And you do believe in monsters? The monster of depression? How convenient. If you feel fine with your "depression", it's no depression. It's a sign of your incapability. You wanna burn it all!

I didn't say I was going to get that profit.ithinkthereforeidontgiveaf

What on Earth do you mean by profit?

Do you know what is better than hitting rock bottom, Hillary? Staying there. Specially if it's forever, and more specially if you know it.ithinkthereforeidontgiveaf

Ah, a man of the Earth. How predictable. I knew you was going to say this. You are just as predictable as the people of which you know what's next.

Good luck with your "depression". Hope you finds some gold. What's so special about gold anyway?
  • Agent Smith
    One of my best friends seems to have spent his life in depression. — Athena

:snicker: So, you, Athena, a goddess, no less, didn't help? No wonder the Romans, plagiarists, switched from Olympus to Jersualem!
  • Agent Smith
    hitting rock bottom — ithinkthereforeidontgiveaf

Bottomless pit? You have it good, stop whining! :snicker:
  • Hillary
    Do you know what is better than hitting rock bottom, Hillary? Staying there. Specially if it's forever, and more specially if you know it.ithinkthereforeidontgiveaf

Seems llike the worst life possible, though better than a bottomless pit, as half the world, if not more, lives in, as AS wisely commented. I would indeed feel very depressed.
  • ASmallTalentForWar
    “It is the key to modern life. If you are immune to boredom, there is literally nothing you cannot accomplish.” - David Foster Wallace
  • Possibility
    I find myself observing, and also not doing it, which makes me think: Is my condition actually an illness, or is it an adaptation, really?ithinkthereforeidontgiveaf

I tend to see depression and anxiety as signs of a highly adaptable mind, at least. It’s both a blessing and curse. How that adaptability translates to behaviour is something we haven’t quite figured out yet. There are too many people telling those with depression to ‘just cheer up’, as if it were a simple process - probably because it is for them. For others, I think, there’s a more complex survey and construction process required, as if the instructions need to be more detailed. It’s like saying ‘just build a bridge and get over it!’ - as if everyone automatically should know where to start with that, regardless of the terrain or materials available...

There are dark paths in my mind I have stumbled across at times that seemed so easy to venture down that it was frightening on self-reflection: small, seemingly insignificant opportunities that flash by, such as taking a drink because it’s there or stepping out in front of a bus, and others that stay with me for months, and I find myself constructing reasons not to take it. I often think I was fortunate to never have been in a position at the time to consider any of them a reasonable option. Doesn’t make them disappear, though. My attention is often scattered, while my efforts are guided by a desire for balance. Nevertheless, the difference between could I? and would I? often seems so irrelevant to fear or desire. I can imagine a chemical or hormonal imbalance would be all it would take to construct a sufficient reason.

My daughter also has a highly adaptable mind, and has been prone to bouts of depression and anxiety all her life - not to the point of medical diagnosis, but enough that she’s been aware of being ‘not exactly normal’. At 18, she is gradually accepting it as a high level of adaptability, and has been learning to construct personally efficient and effective mental processes and to self-monitor and manage the impact of chemical and hormonal fluctuations.
  • Agent Smith
    strong sense of empathy — FlorenceKaia

:snicker:

Medically, I am supposedly in a not normal condition. It doesn't feel good but everything doesn't spin around feelings.

How would you define that immunity?

You really like when masks tell the truth don't you?
    highly adaptable mind, at least.Possibility

That is indeed what I was trying to figure out...

I find really hard to believe that the brain would harm itself. If it has done something, it has to be for good, or at least for better.
  • Athena
    :snicker: So, you, Athena, a goddess, no less, didn't help? No wonder the Romans, plagiarists, switched from Olympus to Jersualem!Agent Smith

I knew nothing of Athena or the gods when my life went very badly and I slipped deep into Hades. Learning of the Greeks and gods came later and was my path to a better life.

I very much enjoy Bolen's books and explanations of the gods and goddesses as archetypes. I had a Demeter archetype when things went badly, and she became seriously upset when Hades took her daughter to his underground kingdom. Zeus had to help her because nothing was growing and plants and animals were dying.

The switch to Jerusalem was very much what Greek philosophy did to Judaism.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.