• EugeneW
    Some people can be psychopaths due to a gene.I like sushi

Of course. Psychopathic genes... Dream on.
  • EugeneW

A yes. Eugenics... Intelligence genes, crime genes, depression genes, stupidity genes, etc. Seems you have too much of the last... The only thing genes to is coding for proteins.

Read:

The underlying molecular mechanisms have remained unknown but several previous studies suggest that abnormal glucose metabolism and opioidergic neurotransmission contribute to violent offending and psychopathy. Here we show using iPSC-derived cortical neurons and astrocytes from six incarcerated extremely antisocial and violent offenders, three nonpsychopathic individuals with substance abuse, and six healthy controls that there are robust alterations in the expression of several genes and immune response-related molecular pathways which were specific for psychopathy. In neurons, psychopathy was associated with marked upregulation of RPL10P9 and ZNF132, and downregulation of CDH5 and OPRD1. In astrocytes, RPL10P9 and MT-RNR2 were upregulated. Expression of aforementioned genes explained 30–92% of the variance of psychopathic symptoms. The gene expression findings were confirmed with qPCR. 

It's about gene expression. Not about genes.
  • I like sushi
    Try reading the entire thing rather going for the ignorant knee jerk reaction. The fact that there are genes that correspond to psychopathic behaviour is OLD news. Very old news.

In conclusion, expression of ZNF132 in neurons and RPL10P9 in both neurons and astrocytes is markedly abnormal among habitually violent offenders and these findings are strongly associated with the degree of psychopathic symptoms. The changes in protein levels observed here point to alteration in insulin sensitivity and glucose metabolism, and previous literature has shown that abnormal glucose metabolism is the only predictor for violent crimes which can surpass the accuracy of PCL-R [35]. We also observed changes in the opioid system, which has been shown to support prosocial functions, such as empathy, among humans and nonhuman primates [12, 13, 37, 38].

Anything else moron? Care to call me a lunatic again?
  • EugeneW

Just read: the expression of genes.
  • EugeneW
    The fact that there are genes that correspond to psychopathic behaviour is OLD news. Very old news.I like sushi

Yeah... Elementary preons are involved in genes too. Blame it on preons...
  • T Clark

I read somewhere that there are languages which use the same word for "weakness" and "strength." Can't remember the source or which languages. It makes sense to me that our weaknesses are also our strengths.
  • I like sushi
    Nonsense. There are genes related to psychopathy. This is a fact not a fiction.

You can do the research or keep spouting crap that will likely get you removed from this forum. Your choice.
  • I like sushi
    I guess I shouldn’t be surprised when the same person calls science ‘dogmatic’.
  • EugeneW
    You can do the research or keep spouting crap that will likely get you removed from this forum. Your choice.I like sushi

Then where is the proof. The link you've shown clearly doesn't provide evidence isn't proof. It, very sneaky and thoughtfull, talks about expression. Just reoeating genes are involved doesn't actually involve them.
  • EugeneW
    I guess I shouldn’t be surprised when the same person calls science ‘dogmatic’.I like sushi

What about the central dogma of molecular biology?
  • I like sushi
    Ask god maybe? It’s clear you cannot read or simply don’t understand what you’re reading (which amount the same thing). I won’t be responding any more to anything you say - other than by reporting it to mods.
  • EugeneW
    Ask god maybe? It’s clear you cannot read or simply don’t understand what you’re reading (which amount the same thing). I won’t be responding any more to anything you say - other than by reporting it to modsI like sushi

Ooooh... "Im gonna tell the mods..." You should actually read the links you give before you post. No genes are involved as the cause. For the third time, the expression is involved. That something different as the genes are involved. Its as simple as that. Bye bye!
  • EugeneW
    Ask god maybe?I like sushi

Again you are suggesting theists are lunatics.
  • unenlightened
    My point was that people can suddenly be depression even though their life has been perfectly fine (including childhood).I like sushi

And do you have evidence for this?
    Bah, never mind, I agree; psychology is always vague and fuzzy because it generalises the uniqueness of personhood. But the correlations for trauma theory are unusually strong.
  • I like sushi
    It is common knowledge. Or at least I thought it was.

Stephen Fry did a rather informative documentary on bipolar/depression. You can find it on youtube I think? It’s called The Secret Life of Depression or something like that.
  • L'éléphant
    Already before they were considered psychopathy was thought to "run in the family". Which it does. But not because of genes.EugeneW
    What does "run in the family" then but inherited genes? This is a question from me.
  • ithinkthereforeidontgiveaf
    What's against taking drugs?EugeneW

The idea seems to me like losing my true self in exchange for happiness.

I read somewhere that there are languages which use the same word for "weakness" and "strength." Can't remember the source or which languages. It makes sense to me that our weaknesses are also our strengths.T Clark

There must be a difference between the two, if not it would be difficult to communicate. However, very interestingly, there is no way of reinforcement if you don't destroy your weaknesses "Subtly enough" to give chance for yourself to repair them, as in muscle growth. If it's too much you would not the weakness but the thing itself. That may be related to depression as described by @Joshs.
  • unenlightened

A nice video, but says nothing at all against trauma theory. There is a complex genetic predisposing component as one would expect because genes build organs, and there is a spectrum as one would expect because brains are complex. And then one might look for environmental factors, and one might find, one does find, that childhood trauma is very overrepresented in the depressed cohort.

Interestingly to me, though it passed without comment by the great man himself, when he mentioned being sent to prison, something one might expect to be somewhat traumatic, he said that to him is was very little different from the two schools where his behaviour first manifested. One is expected to regard being sent to prep school at the age of 6 or 7 as a great privilege, but I think at least for some it is experienced as abandonment by one's family:-- to be suddenly institutionalised into something that, if it is like a prison is also like an orphanage.
  • unenlightened
    Stephen says he was beaten "a great deal" while attending prep school until the age of 13. "I think in my last year I was probably beaten every day, because I was a very bad boy.

"People think, 'No wonder Stephen Fry is such a completely screwed up individual!' I don't know whether that is true, as I am sure I would have been screwed up wherever I had been."

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/whats-on/film-and-tv/stephen-frys-schooldays-1131692
  • Agent Smith
    Depression, severe or not, is defined in terms of how debilitating it is (your life just falls to pieces).

However, if ever there was a person who handled it like a pro it was the Buddha who I've diagnosed, retrospectively, as a life spent battling melancholia of the most pernicious kind. Evidence? His first noble truth: Life is suffering. I don't think depression gets worse than that. Siddhartha must've contemplated suicide every day of his 80 years on earth. That's hell if you ask me. It's just amazing how he maintained his clarity of mind against such an emotional onslaught! You da man, Gautama!

Depression as a tool? Via dolorosa??? :chin: The way of pain, reserved for the most advanced practitioners of, for lack of a better term, religions.
  • I like sushi
    I have no idea what is in that episode. If you watch them all you’ll get a clearer picture.

I was not suggesting trauma doesn’t factor in. My point was that there are cases where no trauma does not mean no depression, schizophrenia nor bipolar. It is not simply about being beaten or abused.

As for psychopathy having certain genes does make the chances of developing psychopathy more likely. Like you point out, there is not exactly a clear line drawn between genetic predisposition and external factors.

A great many cases where people ask ‘Why are you depressed?’ cannot be answered. It might be more helpful for people to attach a reason for what is happening in their brain, but it can quite simply be your brain and is, I imagine, far more likely to be due to dietary issues than some childhood trauma.

It just feels like exceptions are being given the basis for laying down a general rule. I have had depression and later realised it was brought on by psychosis that I simply blocked out. The issue was my brain chemistry not childhood trauma. The ‘reason’ for my depression was baffling because I had no good reason to be depressed at all. A later in life instance of accidental, self-induced psychosis due to lack of sleep, intense concentration and fasting, effectively awakened my past memories of psychosis (hearing voices in these cases).

At worse I have mild bipolar … but to be honest I think it was something else as it appears the experiences I had were more conducive to other brain disorders. I personally believe it is a lack of trauma that is more damaging to the psyche than individual instances in childhood amounting to little more than ‘growing up’ in a world that is not exactly safe.
  • unenlightened
    It is not simply about being beaten or abused.I like sushi

If I gave the impression it was anything simple at all, it was unintentional.

I personally believe it is a lack of trauma that is more damaging to the psyche than individual instances in childhood amounting to little more than ‘growing up’ in a world that is not exactly safe.I like sushi

In the literature, the term they use is "resilience", and a deal of study has been done. Resilience is the ability to recover from traumatic experience and it is developed in childhood with the support of primary carers. By dealing with minor trauma and stresses, one develops a psychological strength to resist and bounce back from events that would overwhelm one at first.

https://www.child-encyclopedia.com/resilience/according-experts/resilience-after-trauma-early-development
  • I like sushi
    Fair enough. I just get annoyed when people think people always get depressed ‘for a reason’ when it is simply brain chemistry just going awry.

The common ‘why are you depressed’ when said to someone suffering depression can aggravate or ignore the underlying issue of a chemical imbalance (which may be congenial).
  • unenlightened
    I just get annoyed when people think people always get depressed ‘for a reason’ when it is simply brain chemistry just going awry.I like sushi

Ah, yes. I find my mood is like the weather, and just changes unconnected with what is going on around me. "Why are you sunny today?" is a silly question. Anyone who has spent time totally alone will probably notice that their mood changes from day to day, and even if there is an explanation, it is no more use asking me to account for my mood than it is asking a storm why it is angry. A man bitch-slaps his good buddy on public stage on probably one of the best days of his life, because... Freud knows.
  • javi2541997

Is my condition actually an illness, or is it an adaptation, really?

After a month of your post, I was diagnosed with several depression today as you in the previous month. I have not read all the answers of my friends in this forum but whenever I read the question where you are wondering if this is an illness or an adaptation I thought it could be a good idea to take part of the thread.
    To be honest, I always thought (in my deepest self) that depression is literally an illness but I never wanted to face it. Firstly, it was the medication which I had fear to take and then, the negative prejudices of psychological analysis and their stuff... So my behaviour was like an immature Child not accepting reality.
    Now: You accept that we are in an illness and in danger because it turns out that you reach high scores in a test where it looks like you seem to be suicidal. This is why I see it as an illness. An adaptation can help us to get away with the problems, but an illness consumes us until our last days.
    I guess this is why I am under public psychological administration, because I am somehow sick of severe depression which I can't be adapted for myself.
  • Agent Smith
    Emotional Intelligence (Ability Model):

1.Perceiving emotions – the ability to detect and decipher emotions in faces, pictures, voices, and cultural artifacts—including the ability to identify one's own emotions. Perceiving emotions represents a basic aspect of emotional intelligence, as it makes all other processing of emotional information possible.

2. Using emotions – the ability to harness emotions to facilitate various cognitive activities, such as thinking and problem-solving. The emotionally intelligent person can capitalize fully upon his or her changing moods in order to best fit the task at hand.

3. Understanding emotions – the ability to comprehend emotion language and to appreciate complicated relationships among emotions. For example, understanding emotions encompasses the ability to be sensitive to slight variations between emotions, and the ability to recognize and describe how emotions evolve over time.

4. Managing emotions – the ability to regulate emotions in both ourselves and in others. Therefore, the emotionally intelligent person can harness emotions, even negative ones, and manage them to achieve intended goals.
    — Wikipedia

More at Emotional Intelligence (Wikipedia)
  • ithinkthereforeidontgiveaf
    because I am somehow sick of severe depressionjavi2541997

I do not trust public administrations of any kind.

Why? Because for them, your problems are not problems, your problems are statistics that they just take into account.

I would never consume any kind of drug (or alcohol) no matter what are the conditions. I prefer to be prone to suicide and be pride of who I am. I know it sounds crazy (I do not care about that either).

I know it makes you suffer a lot and it seems that it destroys you, but I have never reached such a state of peace regardless of that after this condition gave me the tool of not caring, I am somehow grateful for that... I feel almost guilty when I call it an illness.

It's been four years since the last time I had a friend and I don't feel a brutal need for attention, for example, and I know it is because depression makes you feel as if you don't even deserve it. I thought that was not possible since we are "Social animals" but it is what it is, and for that I am truly grateful.

I think it's a more intense life than a normal one. You are more prone to die but at least you experience things that normal people don't.
  • Haglund
    I would never consume any kind of drug (or alcohol) no matter what are the conditions. I prefer to be prone to suicide and be pride of who I am. I know it sounds crazy (I do not care about that either).ithinkthereforeidontgiveaf

Depression is no natural state. Some drugs do the job. The real cause is not taken away but you just feel better.

How can a sane person not get depressed in a world out of natural balance, where happy childhood memories and the magic of life, are replaced by the rigid madness of adult life, expressed in megalomaniac destruction of a beautiful paradise, which is replaced by an artificial world of steel-framed concreteness, steered by increasingly fast super quantum computers, governing without remorse to shape human behavior and control the planet panoptical, steering life into the straight lines of ratio, forcing people to wannabe like the computers they so admire?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.