• Raymond

Interesting! Methusalem is older than the universe! Huh? But is this a real threat to big bang cosmology?
  • magritte

Nah. They'll work it out if they haven't already. Science moves on.
  • Raymond

They don't but I have! :wink:
  • Mason
    It can be explained as a variation in gravity strength also so not real matter. Do you have a preference?

Gravity - how does it work in the models of the universe you have posited? What is keeping the earth from crashing into the sun? Momentum? That is difficult for me to believe - there must be an outward/opposite force? What keeps the planets in their orbits? Do we see evidence of planets in other solar system crashing into their suns? Will the milky way eventually be gobbled up by the black hole at its center while the universe itself seems to be expanding. What is pulling the universe apart - if indeed it is "expanding?" I have seen gravity explained as the mass of say, a planet, making a depression in the "fabric of space" - so that objects are pulled towards it like a marble on a piece of loose cloth rolls towards the center. I am intrigued by "the stuff making interactions possible." And "curvature?" If I could take a chunk of space - devoid of invisible gases - from somewhere in the universe and examine it - it seems all I might find is perhaps some photons - since light travels throughout space - or radiation - what else can exist in a vacuum? Are there tiny quantum particles (strings) permeating empty space?
  • MasonAccepted Answer

Not sure why this is posting duplicats.
  • Mason

Duplicate post.
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.