• Agent Smith
    Your idea of happiness is limited then.DA671

Your idea of happiness is too expansive.

You do experience satisfaction, but you don't take realise that/misunderstand it.DA671

As I said this is not happiness.

Good things are generally complex.DA671

:ok: But you don't know what happiness is.
  • Existential Hope
    Satisfaction is happiness, and that's what my lived experience and the experiences of many around me shows.

It is happiness, but you're in denial here. I suppose one could also say that mental agony is not suffering because I define suffering in an extremely narrow way, but that does not help because it does not accurately reflect reality.

I do; it's you who don't. Actually, you do. However, your need for satiating detrimental skepticism seems to be unfulfilled, which might be contributing towards your inability to see that which is (probably) obvious.
  • Agent Smith
    Satisfaction is happinessDA671

No, it isn't.

you're in denialDA671

I could say the same thing about you.
  • Existential Hope
    Yes, it is. If you think otherwise, then what you call satisfaction is a rather poor imitation of it. I hope I could suffer for a day if that allowed you to see things differently.

You could, but I don't think you would be right.
  • Agent Smith
    Yes, it is.DA671

No, it isn't. Happiness isn't going to come this easy.
  • Existential Hope
    Who said it's easy? Another confusion on the horizon! Jk

Yes, it is. I am afraid that your understanding of satisfaction is incomplete, perhaps due to certain actual limitations. Whatever you perceive satisfaction to be, I don't think it's a real representation of what it is.
    Reality and ease don't need to be the same.
  • Agent Smith
    Who said it's easy?DA671

Then it's difficult. Ergo, suffering!
  • Agent Smith
    Another confusion on the horizon!DA671

Referring to yourself?
  • Existential Hope
    But it's not impossible! Ergo, happiness!
  • Existential Hope
    I am confused about plenty of things, sure :)

Here, however, I was referring to a mirror I just bought ;)
  • Agent Smith
    But it's not impossible! Ergo, happiness!DA671

Shifting the goalpost. I see you wish to commit every fallacy in the book. At this rate, you might just pull it off. :grin:
  • Agent Smith
    I am confused about plenty of things, sure :)

Here, however, I was referring to a mirror I just bought
    DA671

Whatever makes you happy.
  • Existential Hope
    Another example of the fallacy fallacy without adequate justification. Might be a new record.

If believing happiness is an illusion and that satisfaction is not happiness gives you satisfaction that you refuse to acknowledge, so be it. It could be better, but it will suffice.

But I suppose I should address your "fallacies" here:

Red Herring: Replying to quotes that have not been explained is not a distraction.

Shifting the goalposts: Asking for intuitive consistency is not changing the criterion.
  • Agent Smith
    I hope I could suffer for a day if that allowed you to see things differently.DA671

This shows that you have no idea what suffering is. As I said, you don't quite understand what you're saying.
  • Existential Hope
    I wasn't saying that you're a sadist or anything. It was more of a fantasy. However, you obfuscate things that don't need be obfuscated.
  • Agent Smith
    Another example of the fallacy fallacy without adequate justification. Might be a new record.DA671

You commit a fallacy that undermines your position. Not a fallacy fallacy I'm afraid.

You seem to know very little about the...er...big bad world! Just wait... Lemme contact you in, say, 10 years or so.
  • Existential Hope
    You're the one who committed a fallacy twice which further undermines your already undermined position.

Also, I think one could also add the double standards fallacy for treating happiness and suffering differently without really justifying it.

Your understanding of the deepest aspects of existence appears to be lacking. I hope that can change.
  • Agent Smith
    Big Bad World! Big Bad World! Big Bad World! Third times a charm!
  • Existential Hope
    Ultimately good world. The truth doesn't have to be repeated multiple times for its truth value to remain. I hope you would have expanded your wisdom in a decade from now ;)
  • Agent Smith
    Magnificent ultimately good world.DA671

Illusion.

The truth doesn't have to be repeated multiple times.DA671

Repetition signifies importance.

I hope you would have expanded your wisdom in a decade for now ;)DA671

Why? Is there going to be a(nother) resurrection?
  • Existential Hope
    Illusion about nonexistent illusions.

Repetition can also imply a desperation to defend a view that seems to be flawed. As for truth, well, it would still be true that happiness is as real as suffering, even if many people fell prey to the illusion that it isn't.

Probably not, but I wouldn't want to be too sure.
  • Agent Smith
    You don't see what I see. Here's a glimpse of the future:

1. Overpopulation (contagions, cut-throat competition, food shortages, violence, wars,etc.).

2. Global warming (catastrophes, famines, etc.)

The list goes on.

Do you want to have (grand)children now? Their lives would be a curse. Have you looked at suicide rates?
  • Existential Hope
    There certainly are risks, and that's why I believe that we should not mindlessly procreate (as many do) without addressing issues such as climate change.

Despite that, people are quite resilient and happiness can often be found even in the face seemingly insuperable odds. Love in relationships, beauty in art, and ectasy in music amongst other things have continued to remain invaluable for many people.

As long as we work together, I am reasonably optimistic that we can overcome our difficulties.
    The recent progress in Italy regarding the RTD and pledges by countries to cut emissions are good steps, though we obviously need to do more. I don't have a (new) family, and my life does not matter.
  • Agent Smith
    I don't get this :point: :wink:???
  • Existential Hope
    Neither do I. It's truly enigmatic.
  • Agent Smith
    You've missed the point completely. No amount of rationalization is going to have an effect on this runaway train we call civilzation. All people, brace for impact!
  • Agent Smith
    Neither do I. It's truly enigmatic.DA671

Then why do you use it?
  • Agent Smith
    There certainly are risks, and that's why I believe that we should not mindlessly procreate (as many do) without addressing issues such as climate change.

Despite that, people are quite resilient and happiness can often be found even in the face seemingly insuperable odds. Love in relationships, beauty in art, and ectasy in music amongst other things have continued to remain invaluable for many people.

As long as we work together, I am reasonably optimistic that we can overcome our difficulties.
    The recent progress in Italy regarding the RTD and pledges by countries to cut emissions are good steps, though we obviously need to do more. I don't have a (new) family, and my life does not matter.
    DA671

:rofl:
  • Existential Hope
    I wouldn't wish to miss the glorious station due to the mist of doom and gloom. I do expect things to turn bad, but I also believe that they can turn better. You have always underestimated the positives, and your rationalisations pertaining to the value of happiness show that, but there is certainly truth in what you say regarding the need to address harms urgently.
  • Agent Smith
    I would've liked to say natalism is idiotic, but now that I think of it, it's infact wicked!
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.