• TheMadFool
    Does the position I don't know incur epistemic responsibility?TheMadFool
  • TheMadFool
    I don't know: Admitting ignorance.

Epistemic responsibility: You're responsible for your beliefs because they have consequences, moral consequences to be precise.

A belief is what one considers to be true. Truth then is the cornerstone of belief and for that reason we need some kind of method to decide what's true and what's not true. Enter reason/rationality/logic aka justification.

Since beliefs matter morally, and beliefs are only important insofar as they're true, and justification is the final word, as of now, on truth, it follows that epistemic responsibility boils down to learning and mastering logic/critical thinking.

A justified, true, belief is the current definition of knowledge. Put simply then epistemic responsibility reduces to sorting out beliefs - keeping those that count as knowledge and getting rid of those that don't qualify as knowledge.

Is ignorance (I don't know) knowledge?

(I know that) I know nothing. — Socrates
  • I like sushi
    A justified, true, belief is the current definition of knowledge.TheMadFool

Not for me.
  • TheMadFool
    Not for me.I like sushi

I know! I suppose you don't have the time to expand and elaborate on what your definition of knowledge is.
  • I like sushi
    You can probably get more of my view on this topic by looking at my first post on the first page.
  • TheMadFool
    You can probably get more of my view on this topic by looking at my first post on the first page.I like sushi

:ok:
1910111213Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube