• frank

Maybe for the region or something? Not in the world.
  • baker
    @frank

I checked again: they said the highest daily incidence per million. I'm still looking for a reference and exact number, cumulative statistics take a while.
  • frank

You may be right. The delta variant wave is calming down here. I am seeing a lot of unboostered people getting sick, but so far, not very sick.
  • jorndoe
    Found this fairly informative (has links to studies):

COVID's endgame: Scientists have a clue about where SARS-CoV-2 is headed (Oct 29, 2021)

I suppose this is as well, except in a different way, the way that makes you shake your head:

Big Bird got 'vaccinated' against COVID-19, drawing outrage from Republicans (Nov 8, 2021)
  • Apollodorus
    It looks like the Chinese lab origins of the Corona virus may have finally been uncovered.

Apparently, leaked emails between EcoHealth Alliance and US government funders show that viral samples of high-risk bat species living in Laos - the country where the closest relative to Covid-19 has been found - were sent to a Wuhan lab from where the virus escaped (or was released?) and caused the pandemic.

New documents back theory that Covid outbreak started in Wuhan lab – The Telegraph
  • frank

Well that's just great.
  • Benkei
    clickbait.

Speaking at the Institute of Economic Affairs in London, the peer said: “Banal-52 is not close enough to be the progenitor, it's still not the smoking gun, but it's pretty good. So maybe this virus started in Laos, not China. Interesting possibility.
  • Bylaw
    A lab that was doing gain of function research on bat corona viruses funded by the NIH via FAuci who lied about it being gain of function research in front of Congress, not once, but twice. This felony has not led to any prosecution.

https://nypost.com/2021/10/21/nih-admits-us-funded-gain-of-function-in-wuhan-despite-faucis-repeated-denials/
  • Apollodorus
    clickbaitBenkei

1. It still seems to amount to evidence that research on bat viruses was done at the Wuhan lab.

2. The Laos virus may not be "close enough" in its natural variant, but with some minor lab modifications it may be a different story ....
  • NOS4A2
    Vaxxed, masked, boostered, locked-down…the pandemic continues. The epicenter, once again, is Europe. What will be the new state boondoggle?

For Austria it’s another lockdown and the harshest vaccine-mandate in the western world. Inject these chemicals or face a fine. Inject these chemicals or you are not allowed to leave your house. And all this after the citizens were promised that lockdowns were a thing of the past. Without irony, Germany might follow.

In Ireland, with one of the highest vaccination rates in Europe, new curfews in pubs and clubs.

In the Netherlands it’s another lockdown. Encouraging signs of civil disobedience now fill the streets.

Almost invariably, the reasoning for more restrictions is to protect the state healthcare system. No one is surprised that rather than strengthen their precious systems, the politicians would rather control the lives their citizens.
  • James Riley
    Vaxxed, masked, boostered, locked-down…the pandemic continues.NOS4A2

It continues because not vaxxed, not masked, not boostered, not locked-down. It would be long-gone if only masked and distanced. But no. Too many freedom-lovers. :roll:

I can't imagine how much worse it would have been (and probably will be) if no one vaxxed, no one masked, no one boosted, no one distanced.
  • NOS4A2

That’s right, you can only imagine. Perhaps those that require a politician to tell them how to protect themselves are the problem to begin with.
  • James Riley
    Perhaps those that require a politician to tell them how to protect themselves are the problem to begin with.NOS4A2

Meh. Your side requires a politician to tell you how to protect yourself; it's just a different politician. My politicians listen to science. Your politicians just hate my politicians; that's all they are running with because they have no science on their side.

As usual, those who stepped up and answered the call are the defenders of freedom. The rest sit back and demand it. The former know that that freedom isn't free. The latter haven't figured that out yet. They don't have to figure it out because, as usual, someone else is carrying their freight for them. They are freeloaders, not freedom lovers.
  • NOS4A2

All this science on your side and look how well you’ve done. Mass death, the denial of fundamental liberties, medical discrimination, huge transfers of wealth, police states, rampant authoritarianism. Defenders of freedom? More like defenders of regimented societies, segregation, state control, censorship.
  • frank

Nice prose. So a good government treats everyone equally instead of trying to make everyone equal. I have a problem with that.
  • James Riley
    All this science on your side and look how well you’ve done. Mass death, the denial of fundamental liberties, medical discrimination, huge transfers of wealth, police states, rampant authoritarianism. Defenders of freedom? More like defenders of regimented societies, segregation, state control, censorship.NOS4A2

Yeah, it's amazing how emasculated science and civics can be, especially when faced by selfish, inconsiderate, disrespectful, greedy individuals who insist on their freedoms at everyone else's expense. It's kind of like the mask/distance/boost/vax thing: Imagine where we'd be as a society if more people stood up and fought for freedom, instead of sitting around with the "I got mine" or the "I hope to get some so I'll suck the dick of those who took theirs" attitudes.

Oh well, history is one long proof of the irrefutable fact that the left has to drag the right, kicking and screaming, into a future they will then love and try to hang on to as the march of progress continues against their will. It's that slow, gentle arc of history.
  • NOS4A2

I see nothing political in it. Reactionary right and left wing politicians have brought upon us this Covid fascism. There’s no escape into blame-games for this one. You’re either for freedom and fundamental human rights or you’re for Covid fascism, discrimination, and state power. Which is it?
  • NOS4A2

What problem do you have with it?
  • Benkei
    I wasn't aware it was still in doubt such research was done there. So nothing new to me at least. The second part I'll ignore at the useless speculations of a layman. Especially since actual experts now think it's more likely there is a natural origin instead of a lab leak based on the find in Laos. https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-02596-2

I suppose that's what you get from reading the Telegraph. :vomit:
  • James Riley
    Huh? First you say:

I see nothing political in it.NOS4A2

Then you say:

Reactionary right and left wing politicians have brought upon us this Covid fascism.NOS4A2

:rofl:

Anyway, let me help you:

Covid 19 brought upon us this Covid 19. Some people decided to give aid and comfort to a virus. There’s no escape into blame-games for this one. You’re either for science and freedom and fundamental human rights or you’re for the Covid virus, illness and death and Faux News. Which is it?
  • NOS4A2

Your help is not required. Your political distinctions are meaningless here, but you cannot help to evoke them, for whatever reason. I’m not sure how stating that fact is risible.
  • James Riley
    Your help is not required. Your political distinctions are meaningless here, but you cannot help to evoke them, for whatever reason. I’m not sure how stating that fact is risible.NOS4A2

You just made no sense. Congratulations. :rofl:

"Required" has nothing to do with it. My political distinctions are the same ones you made, yet denied to exist. I evoked them to agree with your regarding that which you said existed after denying that they did. I did it to try and educate you. What you said was indeed funny. Stating that you stated it is not. Never said it was.
  • NOS4A2

That’s a lie. I never denied political distinctions didn’t exist. I was merely stating that all political distinctions employ Covid fascism, and your attempt to make it a left vs. right thing is stupid. Yet here you go.
  • James Riley
    That’s a lie. I never denied political distinctions didn’t exist.NOS4A2

You said:

I see nothing political in it.NOS4A2

Then you said:

Reactionary right and left wing politicians have brought upon us this Covid fascism.NOS4A2

I'll just let the record speak for itself.

your attempt to make it a left vs. right thing is stupid.NOS4A2

It's not stupid. It is a political thing. It's just that my politicians have science and you're do not.
  • NOS4A2

I’m not sure how “I see nothing political in it” means “political distinctions don’t exist”, but doublethink is rife in clownworld. What’s left but to make things up?
  • James Riley
    I’m not sure how “I see nothing political in it” means “political distinctions don’t exist”, but doublethink is rife in clownworld.NOS4A2

Of course you are not sure. You don't see anything political in right and left wing politicians having brought fascism upon us. That's okay. We're used to it.
  • frank
    What problem do you have with it?NOS4A2

For example, rich people can afford better lawyers. That means they have better access to justice. The same principles applies to diet, healthcare, education, and influence.

Treating everyone the same isn't fair
  • NOS4A2

It’s the opposite. Treating people differently isn’t fair.
  • john27
    All this science on your side and look how well you’ve done. Mass death, the denial of fundamental liberties, medical discrimination, huge transfers of wealth, police states, rampant authoritarianism. Defenders of freedom? More like defenders of regimented societies, segregation, state control, censorship.NOS4A2

If it was a true example of state control and censorship, the Covid-19 outbreak would be over already...
  • James Riley
    That means they have better access to justice.frank

They also have better access to injustice. :wink:
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.