• I love Chom-choms
    There are cases of loss in which just realizing that you have lost everything is enough to put an and in your life. In Greece, there have been hundreds of suicides at the peak of our economic crisis in 2010-2014, committed only because persons lost suddenly everything and mainly their houses seized by tht state or banks because of unpaid taxes, loans, etc.) This kind of losses don't involve grief. They lead to "cold" suicides.Alkis Piskas

I think that the person who lost his/her property probably surmised that whatever happens now, after he/she has gone bankrupt , will be too much for him. He/she doesn't want to work hard to get back to his/her initial socioeconomic standing. Maybe, he/she just thought that, " what was it all for? Didn't I work so hard to get a nice and peaceful life." The person suffered in the past with the promise of a happy future which because of the economic crisis, they feel like they have not been paid back for the pain they endured. In which case we can conclude that the their suffering has been meaningless. If their suffering has been meaningless then I don't know.
    I feel like the I have made this whole argument redundant because I said that suicide is wrong but one can do it even if it is the wrong thing because we can't suffer too much. Then where does my argument of ethics begin, what do I decide the ethnicity on. Rationality alone is not enough, I have to have a reason which becomes the foundation of the ethics I promote but that foundation will be based on feelings.
    If I say that the foundation is to not suffer meaninglessly, then it should be alright for that person to kill themselves.
    I am not so sure about my statement that Suicide is wrong, no matter the circumstances. I haven't changed my mind but I am wavering.
  • VincePee
    I saw a movie, starring Robert Redford, in which the suicide rate sky rocketed after he discovered a realm of being after death.
  • VincePee
    You do commit murder. That's wrong. You destroy gods creation. That doesn't mean though that it should stop you.
  • Alkis Piskas
    I am not so sure about my statement that Suicide is wrong, no matter the circumstances.I love Chom-choms
    Maybe you don't have to. You may question instead whether an action can be actually called a suicide or not.
    The definition of suicide is "The action of killing oneself intentionally" (Oxford LEXICO) (Other dictionaries give a very similar definition).

So, here's an example: There's a clause in hospitals according to which you can sign a document in which you refuse to receive a CPR (Cardiopulmonary resuscitation), e.g. during your operation, etc., if this is would be needed. On a less official basis, you can also refuse to do chemiotherapy (for cancer), a Coronary bypass surgery, etc. Can these cases be labelled as "suicides"?
  • Michael Zwingli
    From what I've seen out there - and its real out there, its not easy out there - suicide isn't a philosophical or moral problem. I know, I know: Camus and sisyphus and all that. Maybe it's better to say that thinking of it in moral or philosophical terms is confusing. People who think of it in those terms don't often tend to commit suicide. Or if they do, they were already going to and they playact philosophizing about it as a way to feel like they have intellectual control over a process that is beyond that. Or like to ennoble it.

Suicide in real life is more like vomiting. It something that happens to a life when theres no other choice, no matter what the suicidal person wants.
    Arcturus

It is good that you brought this up, shifting the focus a bit from justifiability to the impetus behind a suicidal action. You seem to indicate a belief that suicide cannot be a rational decision, but rather is always emotionally-driven and irrational. Without having any data as a basis, I cannot say whether your position is correct from a statistical standpoint, but I question whether there might not be instances of suicide being prompted out of something other than the desperation of emotional furor.

There is a current PF thread, by @javra, on the subject of teleology (specifically, "On the "Ontology of Goal Driven Determinacy") which I have been reading with some interest. Do you not suppose that the consideration of suicide by an individual might be caused by what might be called "teleological deficiency" or "teleological omission (of either occurrence or performance)" , even where there is no such desperation involved? For instance, had a person developed the idea that, given his personal belief system, there existed an imperative to achieve done goal during his life, and in the fullness of time it had become fairly clear that such a goal was either unattainable or not likely to be attained, could such not be said to cause a deficit of purpose which might render suicide a rational, and not a purely emotional, decision? Should we tell such a person that they should continue to live a life which appears to them utterly purposeless? Should we tell him to adjust his entire belief system in order to shift their concept of their personal life's purpose, and is that something even possible at a later stage in life?

The phenomena of Seppuku/Harakiri have been mentioned (as they were bound to be) above. Is not such an act prompted by a teleological performance omission, a failure of achievement of purpose? Is this not a rational decision, though certainly with emotional overtones attending thereto, on the part of the actor? As such, cannot this act be said to be justifiable? Then, if a teleological performance omission can be said to render both rational and justifiable an act of suicide, cannot a teleological occurrence omission or a teleological deficiency, that is: a failure to distinguish a purpose or an inadequacy of purpose, respectively, render an act of suicide (a) rational and (b) justifiable, as well? I would truly like to have several opinions about this question.
  • Natherton

Does anyone owe anyone else his or her life?

Does anyone have a duty to suffer for anyone else's benefit (or to forestall anyone else's prospective suffering)?

Does the mere fact (i.e. imposition) of being born render each one of us a slave -- to family, to community, to the species?

It seems to me that, in the absence of answering any of the above in the affirmative, there's nothing more selfish, and therefore more hypocritical, than stigmatizing suicide as "a selfish act." Even if it is, so what? Unless the 'collateral damage' of killing oneself is premeditated & also irreparable (which it very rarely is), so what? 'The world', after all, could stand to be relieved -- freely by self-selection -- of as many desperately (i.e. pathologically) miserable people as possible; gratitude rather than scorn (or taboo-fear) being the more appropriate, more civilized (i.e. pre-modern, pre-JCI), response.

Perhaps killing oneself is simply an act of self-defense against 'involuntary self-torment'. If so, reparable collateral damage is a reasonable trade-off (risk), no?
  • I love Chom-choms
    There's a clause in hospitals according to which you can sign a document in which you refuse to receive a CPR (Cardiopulmonary resuscitation), e.g. during your operation, etc., if this is would be needed. On a less official basis, you can also refuse to do chemiotherapy (for cancer), a Coronary bypass surgery, etc. Can these cases be labelled as "suicides"?Alkis Piskas

I'm not sure, I think that it might depend on how a person thinks. If it was me, who refused any such thing then I would have done so with the expectation of death but I don't think that everyone thinks that deep. They might refuse to do so because they think that it is inappropriate or that the side-effects are too adverse but the thought that they might die doesn't even cross their mind.
    So, if they didn't even thinks about their death while they decide to refuse these services then it is practically a suicide but you can't really blame them for it.

Also, I am sorry for such a delayed reply. I had more free time until a few days ago but now my tests are here so I am a lot more busy.
  • I love Chom-choms
    Does anyone owe anyone else his or her life?Natherton

To my parents, yes I do.
    At least, by my standards
    Does anyone have a duty to suffer for anyone else's benefit (or to forestall anyone else's prospective suffering)?Natherton

In general, I don't think so but if you had a sensible and appropriate responsibility in the cause of their suffering then I think that you should have a responsibility to suffer for their sake. Keep in mind, just because their suffering was caused by you doesn't mean you have a responsibility to suffer for them, it has to be a sensible responsibility which you have.
    Does the mere fact (i.e. imposition) of being born render each one of us a slave -- to family, to community, to the species?Natherton

To some extent, YES. If you are born into this world, then you do have a responsibility to obey your family, community and the species as a whole. It is a social contract. You have your parents to thank for everything they did for you when growing up, your community for providing a safe environment and facilities which your parents couldn't have afforded without them and your species for being at the top of the food chain and all the inventions that give you this comfortable life.
    Now if you view this as slavery then that is your opinion.
  • Alkis Piskas

OK, but my point was much simpler. I'll just summarize it with a new, concrete question: "Is asking for (legally performed) euthanasia considered as suicide?"
    (Euthanasia: The painless killing of a patient suffering from an incurable and painful disease or in an irreversible coma. (Oxford LEXICO))
  • VincePee
    To my parents, yes I do.
    At least, by my standards
    I love Chom-choms

What's your standard? That you owe your parents? Why? Because they gave life to you?
  • I love Chom-choms
    OK, but my point was much simpler. I'll just summarize it with a new, concrete question: "Is asking for (legally performed) euthanasia considered as suicide?"
    (Euthanasia: The painless killing of a patient suffering from an incurable and painful disease or in an irreversible coma. (Oxford LEXICO))
    Alkis Piskas

Honestly, I would call a painless death an ideal suicide. If you can die a painless death and be free from your suffering then it is the best. I don't know if it is right or not but it is definitely my ideal form of suicide.
  • I love Chom-choms
    What's your standard? That you owe your parents? Why? Because they gave life to you?VincePee

Well, you owe a person who gave you a chocolate something of equal value. That, I think, we can agree on.
    By my standards, my parents gave me so many things and I will assume that yours did too. Now I don't know how my parents feel about me. It could be that they feel like me just doing whatever I want or simply living is enough compensation for them. Maybe they do that? I don't know. As long as they don't say that, in my mind, it is better to think that you owe them something rather that not.
  • VincePee
    As long as they don't say that, in my mind, it is better to think that you owe them something rather that not.I love Chom-choms

Yes, I agree. I think I owe my parents too! I'm very happy with myself thoughsometimes I think how the hell they could have shot two children in the present kind of world, without much future hope. But then again, there always is hope!
  • I love Chom-choms
    thoughsometimes I think how the hell they could have shot two children in the present kind of world, without much future hope. But then again, there always is hope!VincePee

I do too. My answer to that is they they didn't really think about it. You know, like they didn't question their existence because of their faith in God and thus their duty is to God. If tells to procreate then we do so.
  • VincePee
    I do too. My answer to that is they they didn't really think about it. You know, like they didn't question their existence because of their faith in God and thus their duty is to God. If tells to procreate then we do so.I love Chom-choms

The gods creted all for us indeed (and for all life). Everything will be restored in the way they intended it all to be. I hope... :smile:
  • VincePee
    Honestly, I would call a painless death an ideal suicide. If you can die a painless death and be free from your suffering then it is the best. I don't know if it is right or not but it is definitely my ideal form of suicide.I love Chom-choms

Are you for or against a suicide pill?
  • I love Chom-choms
    I am for a painless suicide if I want to commit a suicide. If a suicide pill will give me a painless death then yes otherwise no.
  • VincePee

Exactly! So you don't think killing yourself is killing God's creation? Well, of course it is (and in a sense He jills Himself), but should that be a reason not to do it? (Please note that Im not promoting suicide!)
  • Alkis Piskas
    Honestly, I would call a painless death an ideal suicide.I love Chom-choms
    I would call a painless death an ideal death! :smile:
  • I love Chom-choms
    Exactly! So you don't think killing yourself is killing God's creation? Well, of course it is (and in a sense He jills Himself), but should that be a reason not to do it? (Please note that Im not promoting suicide!)VincePee

I don't really believe in Gods, I am a Hindu. My parents believe in gods but I don't actually believe.
    In Hinduism, it is OK to kill gods creations. There is a whole story about it.

Shiva and Parvati were travelling through Dharti(Earth) one day, when Parvati saw a procession of people carry a man who looked to be sleeping. Parvati asked the mob, " Where are you carrying the man and Why?" A man from the mob replied," The man is dead. We are on are way to cremate him."
    " What? Why did he die? That is terrible!", Parvati replied true to herself, as she was the goddess of fertility, the idea of taking away a life was against her creed.
    " What can we say? Lord Shiva willed it and so he died." The man replied.
    Parvati went to her husband, Shiva, and angrily said," How terrible, Why would you take anyones life?"
    Shiva regretted displeasing his wife but all life was destined to end. So he decided that instead of just dying instantaneously, all living beings would die because of a cause.
    If a deer is eaten by a lion, a man kill another man or if he takes his own life, then too it is all according to the will of Shiva.

Basically, Shiva used to just names on a death note but now he specifies the reason.
  • Rxspence
    Without exception?
    As someone with familial Alzheimer's who has buried a family and brother with early onset alzheimer's
    I ask, do you know all circumstances?
    Posterior Cortical Atrophy can produce unbelievable pain and central sleep apnea can cause multiple
    death experiences but I am not complaining.
    I have witnessed much worse situations in many people brought on by life experiences.
    Spend time listening to others.
    Do not try to fix problems but listen and be there for them.
    AND NEVER JUDGE THEM, out loud
  • deletedmemberrw
    Can't remember who's line is that luck is not to be born. Can't agree more.
  • TheMadFool
    We are God's cattle, and we should not take ourselves off without a summons from God. — Socrates
  • Wheatley
    "Life's a Bitch and Then You Die"; and then God sends your ass to hell because suicide is wrong.
  • I like sushi
    It is wrong to say that anything is always wrong no matter what! This is always the case ... er ... oops! Forgive me PLEASE! I was wrong.

BUT was I ALWAYS wrong? Not possible! So I retract my apology :)
  • Wheatley
    Suppose the US government sends a spy to investigate a terrorist group in Afghanistan. The spy does his job collecting documents and eavesdropping on conversations. Suddenly (and unfortunately) the spy accidentally blows his cover. Quickly thinking, he comes to the conclusion that upon capture, the terrorists will torture him severely. Keeping in mind the horrendous suffering he's about to experience, he chooses to put a bullet in his own brain.

I believe that the spy was justified in ending his life. OP destroyed. :fire:
  • TheMadFool
    A. Suicide/Murder

1. Killing a human is wrong.

2. Killing yourself is killing a human being.

Ergo,

3. Suicide is wrong

B. Rights/Suicide

1. I have full rights over my life.

2. If I have full rights over my life, I'm free to end my life as and when I please and I wouldn't be wrong.

Ergo,

3. I'm free to end my life as and when I please and I wouldn't be wrong. [Suicide isn't wrong]

C. The Nedlog rule

1. Do unto others as you would like others to do unto you [the golden rule]

2. Do unto yourself as you would like yourself to do unto others [the nedlog rule] A suicider wouldn't want to kill others; he is, therefore, obligated not to hurt himself. [Suicide is wrong]
  • baker
    "Life's a Bitch and Then You Die"; and then God sends your ass to hell because suicide is wrong.Wheatley

I dare you to provide actual primary religious scriptural references for the claim that suicide is wrong.
  • Wheatley

It's forbidden in judaism.

אך את דמכם. אַעַ"פִּ שֶׁהִתַּרְתִּי לָכֶם נְטִילַת נְשָׁמָה בַּבְּהֵמָה, אֶת דִּמְכֶם אֶדְרֹשׁ מֵהַשּׁוֹפֵךְ דַּם עַצְמוֹ:
    ואך את דמכם HOWEVER YOUR BLOOD — Although I have permitted you to take the life of cattle yet your blood I will surely require from him amongst you who sheds his own blood (see Bava Kamma 91b). Link

Google Bava Kamma 91b
  • god must be atheist
    If god asked me if I wanted to never have been born, i.e. never have been existed, or else live a life, I would reply: What do you recommend? He is the know-it-all, his advice would no doubt be superior to my speculated answer.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.