• TheMadFool
    My hypothesis is that it's not a name because that which has a name has a creatorMAYAEL

Interesting! Names are given, requiring a giver and that which is named.

The Tao that can be told is not the eternal Tao; The name that can be named is not the eternal name. The nameless is the beginning of heaven and earth. — Laozi

Looks like a digression but certainly worth pondering over.

The impression I have got from trying to understand (i.e., not just translate) ancient Greek is not that primitive speakers were unable to figure out vowels or nuance or complexity, but rather that language itself was incidental in conveying meaning and significance, those things being presupposed to be shared, particulars being communicated by reference to that which was shared. And these things being shared, the language itself could and did remain crude (by modern standards).tim wood

We're talking about the written word here and yes, it ultimately is about language but...the focus is on how writing seems to add another layer of complexity to understanding a message. In spoken language, ambiguity is a function of polysemy only. In a piece of text with only consonants, the possibilities extend beyond puns.

And I can further imagine that the development of the literatures of the world led slowly and then increasingly to the showing in the language itself of what was once understood external to language, thus the words evolving from tokens that referred to actualities, knowledge of which presumed shared and effectively communicated by mere reference, to meanings transferred to language itself and thus conveyed no longer by mere reference but by the language itself. - How often do we read, in approaching ancient literature, even up through Icelandic sagas, that the audience - the ones hearing -tim wood

1. It was assumed that the correct vowels were universally known. Ergo, there would be no confusion.TheMadFool
  • Wheatley
    From the little that I know, some ancient languages (Egyptian and the Semitic language family), the written words generally are missing vowels.TheMadFool
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niqqud
  • Wheatley
    I ancient Hebrew and Aramaic vowels are not shown in the lettering. It's assumed that the reader can decipher the vowel sounds on their own.
  • TheMadFool
    Obscurantsim

Obscurantism and Obscurationism (/ɒbˈskjʊərənˌtɪzəm, əb-/ or /ˌɒbskjʊəˈræntɪzəm/) describe the practice of deliberately presenting information in an imprecise, abstruse manner designed to limit further inquiry and understanding. There are two historical and intellectual denotations of Obscurantism: the deliberate restriction of knowledge—opposition to disseminating knowledge; and deliberate obscurity—a recondite literary or artistic style, characterized by deliberate vagueness. — Wikipedia
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.