• Satyesu
    Is proactive political action compatible with the principle of wuwei? It seems to me that getting out and doing something is very non-Daoist, in my conception of it.
  • baker
    Daoism originates in China. Study the history of China. Daoism seems to be a Chinese version of quietism. Of course the ruling class in China would not want the people at large to rebel, so it taught them quietism. At the same time, the ruling class had to justify itself, and its often brutal ruling practices.

Getting out and doing something is very Daoist, provided one was the Chinese elite; and very non-Daoist, if done by the lower class.
  • T Clark
    Is proactive political action compatible with the principle of wuwei? It seems to me that getting out and doing something is very non-Daoist, in my conception of it.Satyesu

Wu wei, no action or action without action, doesn't mean doing nothing. It means acting spontaneously from your true nature, your heart. One of the primary audiences for the Tao Te Ching was leaders, princes, generals; so clearly political action is consistent with it's principles.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment