• Pantagruel
    I thought I'd share some quotable quips as I encounter them in the Essays of (from the 2003 printing of M.A. Screech's 1987 translation):

Nothing is really in our power but our will.... P. 28

where I seek myself I cannot find myself; I discover myself more by accident, than by inquiring into my judgement. p. 40

a powerful imagination generates the event. p. 109

in the study I am making of our manners and our motives, fabulous testimonies - provided they remain possible - can do service as well as true ones. p. 119

Only fools have made up their minds and are certain. p. 170

I cannot believe...that reason cannot produce the same effects as habit....
    Michel de Montaigne, The Complete Essays, p. 273

"Does knowing mean nothing to you, unless somebody else knows that you know it?"
    Persius - cited p. 274
  • 180 Proof
    "He who fears he will suffer, already suffers from his fear." ~Michel de Montaigne
  • Pantagruel
    :up:

...there is no more reliable witness than each man is to himself. p. 711

Since men are not intelligent enough to be adequately paid in good coin let counterfeit coin be used as well. p. 715
  • Pantagruel
    I am loath even to have thoughts which I cannot publish. p. 953

Now there's a standard
  • Pantagruel
    He who does not live at all for others hardly lives at all for himself p. 1138
  • Pantagruel
    ...things are sensed through the understanding, understood through the senses. p. 1257
  • Pantagruel
    Just crossed paths with this one. To me, it seems more forceful if you drop the final, "from his fear": he who fears suffering already suffers.... It kind of like, when something is translated from one language to another, the translator can take liberties in search of the best meaning. Well, even speaking and hearing can be viewed as a kind of translation (of separate viewpoints). In fact, I just passed another comment where Montaigne says that words belong half to the speaker and half to the listener....

:)
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.