• Laguercina
    I made a copy of Magritte's "The mind's eye", prominently figuring on a book with the same name. Instead of a blue sky with clouds I painted dark skies with thunder.

But. Was he truly that philosophical? He is known for his duality and double agenda's. But really... Is that all there is? Trains rolling from chimneys and rocks floating high? A painting in a painting, a clothed birdcage? Escher is more philosophical in my eyes.
  • Noble Dust
    I love Magritte. His work ignites my imagination, as does Escher's. "Not To Be Reproduced" is one of my favorites of Magritte. I find it pretty philosophical, as it seems to hint at a doppelgänger theme that can be found in Shelley, David Lynch, and this short story I wrote for our short story contest. What exactly that theme is I don't know, but it pulls at the strings of what it means to be a human being, which makes it philosophical, since philosophy is about being a human being.
  • Pinprick

Wasn’t familiar with his work until now. I recognized the one with the apple in front of the guys face. It was a cover to a Searle book I read.

Anyway, I liked some of the images I found. I think you can find double meanings in some of his works; like “the false mirror” or “clairvoyance” or “the double secret.” Some of it seems absurdist, and just playing with reality, but I think that counts as philosophical. I also posted a couple Slavec Gruca paintings in the beautiful things thread. I see some resemblance between the two artists. Gruca is just on deviant art as far as I can tell, if you’re interested.
  • Thunderballs

I like him too. I even have a book about him. Of Escher too. He's great. And he truly has the skills. Both are very philo. Philart! The selfportrait in that ball... Wow. I don't know if Magritte did one. How would he have painted himself?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.