• S
    The question of god has troubled philosophy for many generations. It did so last week, does so this week, but will finally be put to rest some time next week.

Some say that God exists. Some say that God did exist, but died and went to hell. Some say that God doesn't exist at all. Others say that God exists, but only a little bit. Still others say that they don't have a scooby. We have even recently heard it mentioned that God will exist.

But why doesn't someone say that God will exist at 7:30pm next Friday? Makes sense to me. Sure. Why not?

It's new, quirky, and purely speculative. Therefore, it's true. God will exist at precisely 7:30pm next Friday. No sooner, no later.

So, what do you think?
    1. Will God exist at 7:30pm next Friday? (8 votes)
        Yes, God will exist at 7:30pm next Friday
        13%
        No, God will exist at 5:00pm next Tuesday
        25%
        No, God existed last Monday at 3:00pm
        13%
        God exists, but only a little bit
          0%
        Yes and no at the same time and in the same way
        50%
  • Buxtebuddha
    But what about Satan? :s
  • S
    But what about Satan? :sHeister Eggcart

Hmm. You'll have to wait until some time next month, I think - 9:45am, Wednesday 29th, to be precise.
  • Chany
    But what does it mean to exist?
  • S
    But what does it mean to exist?Chany

In the case of God, it means, for example, that he is able to pop over for a quick cuppa. He couldn't do that if he didn't exist.

My expectation is that he will pop over for a quick cuppa at 7:30pm next Friday. No sooner, no later. He couldn't possibly do so at any other time, because he wouldn't exist. Although it will have to be a very quick cuppa. But then, he is God after all.
  • Moliere
    Yes and no at the same time and in the same waySapientia

Obligatory obfuscation.
  • Sir2u
    It's new, quirky, and purely speculative. Therefore, it's true.Sapientia

How so?
    According to this theory I can say that next week a million dollars will fall from the sky at my feet and it will be true.
  • S
    How so?
    According to this theory I can say that next week a million dollars will fall from the sky at my feet and it will be true.
    Sir2u

Then what's the problem? You'll be a millionaire! Stop complaining and start planning. What are going to buy? A yacht? A mansion? A sports car?
  • jorndoe
    God will exist at precisely 7:30pm next Friday.Sapientia

Hang on, what timezone is that?
  • S
    Hang on, what timezone is that?jorndoe

GMT.
  • jorndoe
    GMT.Sapientia

(y)
    So, 1930 hours GMT, presumably 2017-03-03.
    Unless you've tricked us by "next Friday" always being from the present here-now (indexical)?
    Just making sure.
  • S
    (y)
    So, 1930 hours GMT, presumably 2017-03-03.
    Unless you've tricked us by "next Friday" always being from the present here-now (indexical)?
    Just making sure.
    jorndoe

Yes, 1930 hours GMT (Green Mandrake Time), 2017-03-03.
  • jorndoe
    Well, in that case, I'd answer "No".

(And most likely in other cases as well.)
  • BC
    First comment out and you're reinventing Milton's plot. If god is coming into existence next week, we may presume that our previous guesses might have been at least a hair off the mark.

On the other hand, Sapientia probably mistook the end of the world for the appearance of god. (It might be hard to tell the difference between the two.)

That is the time the world ends;
    This is the world that god upends;
    There is the stairs that god descends;
    Here are the ashes and sackcloth to rend.
  • Nils Loc
    God is coming into existence at 7:30pm next Friday purely to spank Sapientia in front of everyone.

Make time.
  • S
    Damn. And he told me on the phone that he only wanted to pop over for a cuppa. There was no mention from him of spanking.

Yeah, I don't know why he was using the phone, either.
  • Chany

I guess that nonexistent things can talk now. Oh well!

Also, we should get a site timer that counts down to Friday 7:30pm.
  • Hanover
    And should he pop in and then out of existence as suggested, how will we know? Will he humbly ride into town on a donkey or will he drop from the sky singing "I was born this way."
  • BC
    or will he drop from the sky singing "I was born this way."Hanover

Will god need a parachute, and what color is it?
  • Aucellus
    You should double check your affirmation. The other day, can't remember exactly when, God told me that he was having problems with his phone's calendar. I told him to turn on the auto date/time option, but he said that his phone didn't have internet connection anyway. Then he faded into a state of uncertainty (he loves to do that), so I just finished my cup of tea and went to give a speech about the absurdity of religion, and I almost mistook the direction with the house where I go every week for the cult sessions. I'm sorry for telling you all that, you would never know it otherwise.
  • S
    Ooh, awesome! Exciting, isn't it?
  • S
    And should he pop in and then out of existence as suggested, how will we know? Will he humbly ride into town on a donkey or will he drop from the sky singing "I was born this way."Hanover

I'll ask God for a selfie, and if he agrees, then I'll share it online.
  • Athena
    Excuse me, are you speaking of Jesus or some other God?

How will this God manifest? I mean is He going to sit on a thrown like Zeus, or walk in a garden with us? This something out of nothing or how does this work? Is this God going to appear as an angel and then disappear? Will He appear like a human and show us the holes in his hands? How does this work? Maybe we should be looking for a burning bush with a big booming voice?

Can a god be made manifest and be a universal force at the same time? If a god takes physical form will His consciousness change?

Whoops, I am in trouble of this god is a she and I just pissed her off by assuming she is a male.
  • Sir2u
    Yes, 1930 hours GMT (Green Mandrake Time), 2017-03-03.S

Someone missed the event, and it was not me. :chin:
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.