• Baden
    As requested.
    1. Would you be up for a regular short story competition? (24 votes)
        Yes
        75%
        No
        13%
        What?
        13%
  • Baden
    Didn't have time to say much more about this yesterday, but we had this on the old PF annually around Christmas and it was good fun. Anyone could enter, entries were anonymous, and anyone could vote on winners or comment on stories. If we all agree on going ahead, I'd probably set it up similarly to that. Anyhow, my vote is a yes.
  • tim wood
    If we all agree,Baden
    That does seem a bit of Yule optimism in June. But if it may be said for the humor of it, with your vote it appears to be unanimous in favor. Alas, though, as I have no story-writing skills, I shan't participate and accordingly abstain from voting.
  • praxis
    I shan't participate and accordingly abstain from voting.tim wood

Meaning that you have no interest in reading them as well? There are some good writers on the forum, at least good enough to be entertaining.
  • tim wood
    Good writing is a treat wherever found. I simply mean that being only in the grocery store, I will refrain from telling the farmer his business. But the truth is that I was so charmed by Baden's "if we all agree" that I felt an irresistible impulse to reply.
  • Baden
    But the truth is that I was so charmed by Baden's "if we all agree" that I felt an irresistible impulse to reply.tim wood

Why thank you kind, sir. I meant collective rather than unanimous agreement though.
  • Baden
    I shan't participate and accordingly abstain from voting.tim wood

Funny, I put the "what" there for people who really don't give a shit but who can't abstain from anything, especially a clicky poll button. You passed the test. :100:
  • praxis
    I simply mean that being only in the grocery store, I will refrain from telling the farmer his business.tim wood

In a botched robbery attempt two people, a produce buyer and a farmer, are held hostage in a grocery store. Both in existential terror, they conspire on a plan to escape, but having a captive audience the produce buyer can’t help telling the farmer his business. The planning goes haywire and general whackyness ensues. It could be a comedy. Think Tarantino/Brooks.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    Oooooo there are some really good writers in this group! @Tobias @Benkei
    Just don't try to impose rules of the topics that are allowed to be written about because it would be limiting in some topics.
    Sound fair?
    We are all adults here, correct?

Think Tarantino/Brooks.praxis
    I read that as Tantric books :razz:
    Buahaha my vote changed the "Yes" ranking in the poll to 69%!
    Omg my mind is digressing :snicker:
  • 180 Proof
    Just an idea: how about having the contest twice a year, at the December and June solstices? And the writer polled "first place" cannot enter the next scheduled contest (or can but the votes her story receives will be canceled at the end identifying her as last "first place" winner)?
  • praxis
    I read that as Tantric books :razz:ArguingWAristotleTiff

That could work too, although then it might have to be a love story.
  • Noble Dust
    I'm down to take a shot.
  • Hanover
    I feel fairly confident I can write the most fucked up story, so I am up for it. My expectation is that the @Baden character will rarely fare well in the stories.

How many pages is a short story? I
  • Baden

Twice a year is cool by me. Don't see why the winner can't be allowed win again too. I mean, I'm ready to kick your ass this time bro'. Don't be afraid you going to be dominating this shit. :naughty:
  • 180 Proof
    Challenge accepted! :smirk:
  • Baden

:up: Try not to give anything away though. The entries really have to be untraceable to other posters for the voting to work fairly. Hence, I censored your post, Tim. If anyone's not sure if their idea is acceptable, PM me.
  • Baden
    How many pages is a short story? IHanover

In your case, let's make it zero.
  • 180 Proof
    We should kick off the contest in July (Bastille Day?) since we've missed the summer solstice that is, if we go forward with it. What do you think?
  • Count Timothy von Icarus

Ha, gotcha. That idea was a joke though.
  • Hanover
    In your case, let's make it zero.Baden
    Is that double spaced or single?
  • Amity
    Just an idea: how about having the contest twice a year, at the December and June solstices?180 Proof

Yes. I had been thinking that stories are not just for Christmas.
    Another thought related to:
    Alas, though, as I have no story-writing skills, I shan't participate and accordingly abstain from voting.tim wood

I haven't written a short story either but what is there to prevent you from learning the skills ?
    Even school kids manage to write essays: 'Wot I did on my holidays'.

A question for @Baden et al to consider, if you haven't already.
    How about providing a quick and basic 'How to...' or an example, as a way to encourage those not already identified as 'good writers' ?

Not just for the benefits of a competition but for full moons rising... :sparkle:
  • Baden
    How about providing a quick and basic 'How to...' or an example, as a way to encourage those not already identified as 'good writers' ?Amity

Write whatever comes into your head and keep changing it until it doesn't look like shit.
  • Baden

Sounds good. I won't put an exact date on it yet. But as long as it's all good with the rest of the mod team, I'll get the ball rolling soon.
  • Amity
    Write whatever comes into your head and keep changing it until it doesn't look like shit.Baden

Well, I'm sure even @tim wood could manage that :roll:

OK then.
    Keep the secrets of success - be that winner ! :cheer:
  • Baden

There is a standard structure to short stories but this is a lounge thing and all in fun. I don't want to be too prescriptive about it. Besides, there are much better resources than me readily available on this subject.
  • Amity
    There is a standard structure to short stories but this is a lounge thing and all in fun. I don't want to be too prescriptive about it. Besides, there are much better resources than me readily available on this subject.Baden

OK. I know the internet abounds with resources for writing, structure etc.
    Glad you're setting this up as a fun thing for all. No formal criteria.
    Nevertheless, it is still a 'contest' taken seriously by contenders enjoying the challenge.
    Just thought there might be some introductory guide-lines, not necessarily 'prescriptive'.

Anyone could enter, entries were anonymous, and anyone could vote on winners or comment on stories.Baden

So, we just vote on what pleases us, no other standards ?
    Or is it like a questionnaire, rating 0 -10 on various aspects ?
  • Amity
    If anyone's not sure if their idea is acceptable, PM me.Baden

Why the PM way ?
    If you had the guidelines as to what is being looked for/ acceptable, this would be transparent for all.
    Like, I think someone mentioned longform poetry or something...?
  • Baden
    Just thought there might be some introductory guide-linesAmity

Ah, ok, well there will be when the time comes.
    So, we just vote on what pleases us, no other standards ?
    Or is it like a questionnaire, rating 0 -10 on various aspects ?
    9m
    Amity

You'll just vote for your favorite. The winner is whichever one gets the most votes
  • Baden

Because it has to be anonymous. There's no point knowing who wrote what or it could turn into a popularity contest.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment