• Tiberiusmoon
    A word can have various meanings within and when you only consider the most common use case it can leave an individual to assume meaning.

One form of this is "Outstanding" alltho at face value it means "exceptionally good", within the meanings of the word is also "clearly noticeable".
    So in this regard you can use outstanding to describe something negative that stands out like: This pack of cookies has an outstanding cookie because it is broken unlike the rest.

Another is the perspective use case, much like how something "good" can happen, wont always mean it is good for you but for someone else.

Why this is important in philosophy is so that we can reduce misinterpritations/misunderstandings in the philosophies we read/write or discuss.
  • Sir2u
    So in this regard you can use outstanding to describe something negative that stands out like: This pack of cookies has an outstanding cookie because it is broken unlike the rest.Tiberiusmoon

Never in my life have I herd that used in that way. Where do you live?

Why this is important in philosophy is so that we can reduce misinterpritations/misunderstandings in the philosophies we read/write or discuss.Tiberiusmoon

That is why it is always advisable to specify while writing your posts here which of the meanings of a word you have intended.
  • Tiberiusmoon
    Never in my life have I herd that used in that way. Where do you live?Sir2u

UK
  • Sir2u

When I lived there the only way outstanding was used negatively was when someone was called outstandingly stupid. Glad I left 45 years ago, things seem to have gone downhill since then.
  • Tiberiusmoon

Yeah people are idiots and our PM is a mass murderer.
    Where do you live?
  • Sir2u
    Yeah people are idiots and our PM is a mass murderer.
    Where do you live?
    Tiberiusmoon

I thought the guy was a clown, but now I find he has a dark side.

I live in Honduras, Central America. And if you think your PM is a bad guy you would probably love to meet our president. Mass murderer, drug lord, psychopathic/ sociopathic would be dictator, corrupt son of a bitch. And that is on the good days.
  • Tiberiusmoon

I mean his leadership factually killed many people.

Quick reminder of morals: the most dangerous thing anyone can do is value a social construct or object over the lives or well beings of other living things.

Early 2020 at the start of the pandemic he closed the UK down describing what classifies as "mass gatherings" which is 6 people from the same household, then move forward to Sept 02 he opened schools with little to no clear guidence which cause another spike as multiple people from multiple households were mixing in a confined room.
    This cause the infection of 1 million people and 75K deaths that would have been preventable, because he broke his own rule and valued the social construct of schools over the lives and wellbeings of others.
  • Sir2u
    He is ruled by society, they elected him. He has to try and keep them happy.

But all over the world things went pretty much the same.

If they had closed all borders around the world for 4 months in January, then looked everyone up until June, they would have had a chance to get things beck to normal in six months. But no one wanted to do that.
  • Tiberiusmoon

He could have just made all the kids redo a year in a years time so that way teachers have a year to plan the additional students and request help from the government as needed
  • Sir2u
    He could have just made all the kids redo a year in a years time so that way teachers have a year to plan the additional students and request help from the government as neededTiberiusmoon

I have been giving classes online for over a year now. It is hard work, but it is possible to do it. What I cannot understand is why they have not been able to organize the schools to work that way.
  • Tiberiusmoon

Not everyone has a network connection or device.
  • Sir2u
    Not everyone has a network connection or device.Tiberiusmoon

Even fewer have them here, but if you want to get along you have to find a way to do it.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.