• Zenny
    It seems to me that using the word "white" in a derogatory fashion can be used publicly with little public repercussions. One can call someone a white jeezus follower,one can say white privilege carte blanche,and one can say black people can't be racist if they don't have structural power,etc,etc
    One can divide people into rigid categories and tar everybody with the same race brush.
    As long as one is a minority and not in political power one can abuse the race of the majority,even if the member of said majority is a unemployed person with no political power,or doesn't follow politics.
    Defying any common sense or decency. Denying the obviously outrageous double standards and hypocrisy.
    @Baden and @180 Proof being two culprits. Plus many others on this new ideological racism bandwagon.
    Being racist in the name of anti racism!
    What is the reason behind this acceptance of blatant racism?
    And for the record I'm brown.
  • Baden

If you took every white American and made them black and every black American and made them white, I'd be concerned about racism against the whites rather than the blacks.. Arbitrary biological factors such as skin color are irrelevant except insofar as they signal power differentials and asymmetries. It's thinking otherwise that's racist.
  • Zenny
    @Baden And how does this justify people using white as a pejorative?
  • Zenny
    @Baden Oh,and I love the "thinking otherwise is racist."
    Sure sign of a dogmarist.
    Answering charges of racism by saying the person opposing you is a racist!
  • Baden

It doesn't but that didn't happen in 180's case as far as I can see. I mean, it's possible to be racist against whites, but it's kind of like men complaining about sexism against them, the complaints are often trivial or unfounded. Now, if someone called a white person a "cracker" here or something, that would immediately be modded as racist.
  • Baden

It's the definition of racism to focus on arbitrary biological characteristics as, in themselves, important, no?
  • Zenny
    @180 Proof has said many things. Let's wait till he clarifies. And I've seen others use white as a pejorative.
    But,back to the point. The whole public discourse and how "white" is used is racist. But your changing the topic as normal.
  • Baden
    180 Proof has said many things. Let's wait till he clarifies. And I've seen others use white as a pejorative.Zenny

You need to back these accusations up with evidence, i.e. quotes. Otherwise, retract.

But,back to the point. The whole public discourse and how "white" is used is racist. But your changing the topic as normal.Zenny

I don't think it generally is. "White privilege", for example, decries the privilege not the race.
  • Cuthbert
    Perhaps a time will come when people will be judged by the content of their character and not by the colour of their skin and when people will attribute wise words without pretending they made them up.
  • Zenny
    @Baden Nope. The ways it's applied is a lot of times carte blanche. Just look at your attitude on the thread "the whys and origin of religion".
    I asked you repeatedly is it OK for white minorities in a black majority to use black as a pejorative. And your silence was an answer.
    Why can't you come out and condemn racism by any party.
    And shall we call Africans with black leaders as having black privilege in mixed populations?
  • Zenny
    @Cuthbert I was judged people by their character and racism where I live is so much less than it was when I was at school. And at ground level things are great.
    But the media and these new ideologues still want people to seperate by identity politics and have created the term "white privilege" and allow racists of all stripes to vent their racism in the name of antiracism. Just hypocrisy and power politics.
  • Zenny
    @Cuthbert Should read " I always judge people by their character."
  • Baden

I condemn racism, period. Now, racist quotes, please?
  • Baden
    I asked you repeatedly is it OK for white minorities in a black majority to use black as a pejorative. And your silence was an answer.Zenny

I told you it was off-topic in the last thread, which it was, and I answered you here.

If you took every white American and made them black and every black American and made them white, I'd be concerned about racism against the whites rather than the blacks.Baden
  • Cuthbert
    "I always judge people by their character". Zenny, me too. Then sometimes I'm caught out not doing that and having prejudices just like everyone else.Tribal passions, generalising from single cases and from irrelevant factors, these are everywhere. People can be suspicious of foreigners and we are all foreigners to some people. We won't wake up one morning and find King's dream has come true. We will have to fight to make it as true as it can get within the limitations of human weakness.
  • 180 Proof
    I wish pinheads like you, Zippy, would learn to differentiate between prejudice and racism: "I dislike them" and in-group (& members of any out-group) uses state, media and/or economic force to discriminate against, or oppress, out-group/s, respectively.

https://thephilosophyforum.com/discussion/comment/350173
  • Zenny
    @Cuthbert At least your honest and working towards improving. An I do distinguish between sometimes an anxiety around new people,not because of color,but because of the situation,behaviour,culture etc. Its not that we have no need of being wary of some people,we do,that's a protective part of human nature,its when when one judges purely by color.
  • Banno
    Baden and 180 Proof being two culprits. Plus many others on this new ideological racism bandwagon.Zenny

I missed all the fun. Would you mind linking to the posts where all this dreadful stuff occurred?
  • Zenny
    @Baden Cheap words. Cheap generalisation. I asked you to clarify on this thread can a white minority call a black majority black privilege? Dont run now.
    And as for the quote,180 on the thread in question is enough. I don't need to run around for you. That one post is enough. 180s mealy mouthed response is just sophistry because he can't own his racism. So he will dress it up as prejudice or some or other intellectual
    hair splitting.
  • Benkei
    You asked for something after accusing people of something which forms the basis of you asking that question. Let's start with you proving the accusation first. If you can't, your question is baseless.
  • Banno
    @Zenny

Oh, I see others have asked the same question.

Cool. looking forward to your providing the links.
  • Zenny
    @Banno The thread the "whys and origins of religion".
    For you as well @Benkei. Though I expect you will wriggle out of the obviousness of the racism.
  • Benkei
    The extent of black privilege revolves around being able to use the N-word without repercussion and claiming experiential knowledge about being on the receiving end of racism. Wooptiedoo.

*Racist canards mode on*

And of course, especially black people, are more athletic, have bigger dicks and a better sense for rhythm. Asian people are better at math and are just really model citizens. Look at them working hard and integrating and stuff!

*Racist canards mode off*
  • Banno
    Yeah, I had a look there, but wasn't sure of what you were referring to. You can get the link by rolling over the time stamp at the bottom of a post and then clicking on the arrow that appears.

No need to be presumptuous. Link to the posts. Carry your case.
  • Benkei
    The one who's wriggling is you. If it's so obvious, surely you can provide a single quote instead of handwaving at a thread?
  • Zenny
    @180 Proof Yep,you keep playing that card.
    Just like Christians used to justify racism with the Bible,you justify it with the philosophy of white privilege and "black people can't be racist" unless in power.
  • Benkei
    Because he argues there's a difference between racism and prejudice. How do racism and prejudice differentiate according to 180 proof? Explain it to me so we can be certain you understand his argument and then you explain why you disagree with the differentiation.
  • Benkei
    I don't see it. What's the problem with that post?
  • Banno
    Well, yeah, it's pretty passionate. Verifiable claims, though - lots of them.

It seems to me that using the word "white" in a derogatory fashion can be used publicly with little public repercussions. One can call someone a white jeezus follower,one can say white privilege carte blanche,and one can say black people can't be racist if they don't have structural power,etc,etcZenny

I don't see any of this in the cited post.

There's only one occurrence of the word "white". and it's not derogatory towards white people, but towards those who pretend Jesus was white. No mention of privilege, white or otherwise, and the only mention of "Black People" on that whole page were in your own posts.
  • Zenny
    @Benkei If that post said gang banging,hip hop listening, gospel choir singing Black jesus worshipping folks,you would have deleted it as racist.
    This one you become blind. Your double standards mate.
    You don't want to see it,because you would have cognitive dissonance.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.