• Mark Nyquist
    What are non-physical neurones?Banno

I didn't use the term non-physical neurones, you did.
    OR is it the information you think non-physical?Banno

I think information cannot be non-physical. For example, thoughts have a non-physical aspect but are always supported by physical neurons (as in many millions into the billions).
  • Mark Nyquist
    Physicalism thinks it leaves dualism behind, when in fact it simply ignores the subjective dimension of experience that is built into , but hidden within, the very assumptions of physicalism.Joshs

This is just the thing I'd like to sort through with a birds eye view of the problem. My approach would be to develop physicalism to the point that the neuron instantiated non-physicals are recognized as emergent from physical matter. Then you are back to dualism with a defined form of the non-physical such as mind, thought, ideas and so on.
    The general form that emerges is [neurons,(an instantiated non-physical)].
    Some examples would be:
    Information is a neuron instantiated non-physical.
    Mind is a neuron instantiated non-physical.
    Thought is a neuron instantiated non-physical.
    Ideas are a neuron instantiated non-physical.

Philosophy and it's subdivisions also take this general form:
    Philosophy is a neuron instantiated non-physical.
    Dualism is a neuron instantiated non-physical.
    Monism is a neuron instantiated non-physical.
    Physicalism is a neuron instantiated non-physical.
    ...and on and on. The neuron part would be millions or billions of neurons, whatever is required to instantiate specific content.
    I'm a little weak on the history of philosophy but you give a good overview. I only recognized a few names you covered, so I'm working on matching names to philosophy.
123Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet