• thewonder
    I was going to create a poll with the options for Final Fantasy V, VI, IX, X, XII, but don't know how to.

My theories are that, while VI is oft lauded as an epic masterpiece, which I even agree with, there's a way of critiquing the game to suggest that it is ultimately shallow, bears only the semblance of being comprehensive, has a villain that, despite what is entertaining of this, is a mere caricature of mania, and designed to impress in such a manner that would give Square the competitive edge with which to create Final Fantasy VII.

Final Fantasy VII, though the first video game that I really got into and still one of my favorites, is kind of a glitzy display of graphics that became dated almost instantly and ambitious narrative oeuvre that begins their now longstanding history of nearly wholly incomprehensible plots.

Final Fantasy X is evidently absurd in that three of its leading protagonists wear entirely anachronistic costumes, aside from that, by the end of the game, I began to feel bad for the voice actors who had to recite its script.

Final Fantasy XII begins well, but makes all too obvious of a departure from its narrative around three-fifths of the way through the game. I do understand that they lost their writer midway through its development, but, there is a very clear set-up for an upcoming war between Rozarria, where you never get to go in the game, and Archades à la The Trojan War Will Not Take Place, whose entry into after a sweeping journey that culminates in an underground sanctum is entirely botched by that you have to play through a classist sidequest with the game's representation of a "guttersnipe", Jules.

My theory is that IX ought to be the canonical answer to this question. Since there is no poll, you can say that it was any of the games in the series, though.
    1. What was the last truly great Final Fantasy game? (2 votes)
        V
          0%
        VI
          0%
        IX
          0%
        X
          0%
        XII
        100%
  • Michael
    I was going to create a poll with the options for Final Fantasy V, VI, IX, X, XII, but don't know how to.thewonder

I've done that for you.

Don't know why you limited it to just those though...

My theory is that IX ought to be the canonical answer to this question. Since there is no poll, you can say that it was any of the games in the series, though.

My favourite too, probably because it was my first. VI is second favourite and X third. Never understood all the hype that VII got.

Although IX is my favourite I voted for XII because it was a great game -- and you asked for the last great game, not my favourite. I haven't played any of the XIII series or XIV, so the only later game I've played is XV and found that pretty boring and didn't get very far.
  • thewonder

Thank you! I was sure that there must be Final Fantasy fans on this forum and awaiting their arrival.

XII begins so well, but, because they lost their writer half of the way through, doesn't seem to at all follow through with where the narrative could've landed. There's this great political intrigue and allusion to Julius Caeser within the Archadean Empire and narrative build to the war that they're trying to prevent with Rozzaria, but it just ends with whatever is supposed to be happening with the Occuria, who aren't even introduced until the game is nearly over.

I was rather moved by Baltheir's act at the end and glad that they finally gave Penelo a character in the game's final cutscene, though.
  • Nils Loc
    You guys didn't fight Zeromus on the moon? It was epic.

FF II (JPN 4)
    FF III (JPN 6)
    FF VII

These were memorable but probably has more to do with when I played them. Don't like the aesthetic turn FF developed with later games. Nabuo Uematsu really did an excellent job with the music though. Remake remastered score is awesome.

Upcoming XVI looks like it might have fun gameplay.
  • Maw
    I haven't played them all but as I recall XII was the last one that received more or less universal acclaim, while subsequent titles have been more mixed. My favorite will always be VI.
  • thewonder

I am both excited for the release ofXVI and skeptical of it. The gameplay looks great, as well as that I think that they will have finally have had enough experimentation with the games after X to have come up with a great battle system beyond the former Active-Time Battle, which, though willing to admit that I don't miss the random encounters, I often lament, as X, for all that it lacks otherwise, did have great gameplay. I also think that they'll have learned how to create an open world environment well after what they've learned from XV and appreciate the return to a more consistent environment and what seems to be more of a focus upon the story, rather than just having a few idiosyncratic characters to substitute for it. By the trailer, though, it also still seems all too action-oriented and as if they'd like to compete with other modern games, such as Skyrim, which I don't think that there is too much of a reason for them to do, as they are well established and loved and would probably better bank off of a classic Final Fantasy game than they would by trying to gain a competitive edge.
  • 180 Proof
    I don't play PC / console games (I never have) but I saw the movie Final Fantasy – The Spirits Within in theatrical release twenty years ago and was impressed by the state-of-the-art CGI at the time (though not by the story). I don't think I knew it was based on a popular video game series until some time afterwards. Anyway, as a once upon a life time ago geek, I wonder if there's ever been a tabletop roleplaying game (tRPG) adaptation made of this franchise? And if so, what are your thoughts on it in comparison to the movie or the original video games?

tag: tRPG
  • thewonder

Not many fans like the film, but I thought that it was pretty good. The computer generated imagery was extraordinary for its time and is still fairly impressive today. It's not very much like the games, though.

To my knowledge, they have never made a table-top role-playing game, but I am a great fan of one of the more strategic games in the series, being Final Fantasy Tactics. I could even put it as a close second behind Final Fantasy IX.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.