• TheMadFool
    Prima facie, this may not seem philosophical and moderators might wanna delete but my response to that would be, if philosophy is about wisdom, and wisdom is all-encompassing, isn't the perfect form of nutrition also worthy of philosophizing.

Everyone, at one time or another, has seen wild horses, gnu, wild buffalo, deer, grass-grazing animals to be precise. Did you notice how well-built they are? Their muscular physique, developed and maintained to outrun formidable predators, would put any modern body builder to shame.

The simple but obviously overlooked question to ask is, what do grazing animals feed on that they look like atheletes who've spent countless hours in gyms training themselves?

The answer, surprisingly, is grass! Obviously, grass-eaters do feed on other plants too but grass features as the main item on their menu and that's what's intriguing to say the least. Before I forget to mention it, grass-eaters have a specialized digestive system but surely we can adapt grass to us or we can adapt to grass (we may already have - wheat, rice are species of grass).

Nutritonists, past and present, seem to have totally missed this open secret about the exceptional nutritional content of grass - they've seen horses, buffalos, etc. their skin rippling with muscles, they know that the primary diet of such animals is grass, but, for some reason, they failed to put two and two together.

What say you?
  • James Riley
    What say you?TheMadFool

I say corn is grass and you can have too much of a good thing. Check out U.S. individual relationship to corn.

Also, grazers spend a large percentage of their day with their face in the grass, whereas a lion lays on it's back, burping and farting and fking and frolicking for a week after a meal. I love grazers, don't get me wrong. And not just to eat. It's just that they are a prey species and for all that speed and muscle, they have weak links amongst them. They are also well acquainted with fear.

In the final analysis, yeah, I get your point. It would be nice if we could survive on grass and like it. But it would be a lot easier to reduce our numbers than to evolve into grazers. I will let grazers do all the hard work for me, eat grass, refine it, and then eat the grazer. Much simpler that way. So, we are, in effect, eating grass.
  • frank
    What say you?TheMadFool

Wheat is a kind of grass. We eat bunches of it.

BTW, did you know the members of the homo genus are all neotenic? This means they retain childlike features into adulthood. This is why humans are less furry than other primates. It's why baby gorillas and chimpanzees look more human than their parents.
  • Jack Cummins

Perhaps we should have some grass sandwiches. When I got put into a situation where I was panicking because I was being expected to cook the supper for residents at a rehab hostel where I was working, a colleague suggested I make Jungian cuisine, with plenty of shadow.

At least your post has a bit of humour, or I interpret it that way, because sometimes this forum gets so heavy and heated.
  • Nils Loc
    Hay is for horses and legumes (beans/pulses) are for homo sapiens. We can predigest them in our exogenous mechano guts.

As growing plants they've added benefit of being well known nitrogen fixers, a means to more sustainable food production. Long live the Tepary bean. We may need it when all the fields have become arid.

Long live the leguminous peanut, the most addictive of fake nuts.
  • Sir2u
    What say you?TheMadFool

If everyone turned into a grass eater:
    • Where would we all find our food?
    • How many acres of land would I need to have a decent supply of food?
    • What would I eat when there is 6 foot of snow on the ground?
    • What would the cost of maintaining a family be each month?

Maybe there is a reason why it is being overlooked.
    Do you by any chance have a decent recipe book for this food?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment